The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Tyler Toffoli to hit free agency

I said a long while back that this is the most important offseason for Benning.

If he can exit the bad deals he signed and that lets us re-sign our own players or other players, he deserves a lot of credit.

If those bad contracts end up costing a bunch of good players and mean we step back for two years until the money clears... he should be fired.

The clock is running, he still has time to pull something out his rear, but if we start training camp with all of Eriksson, Sutter, Baertschi, Roussel, Ferland and Beagle on the payroll (instead of a top 6 winger, two top 4D’s, and two good goalies).... that is a big condemnation of his work so far.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

I'm okay with this.  We already have Boeser who can't skate for his life, I don't see why we need Toffoli taking up 5M to do the same thing.

I like Toffoli but we shouldn't be comitting money and term to him with Pettersson and Hughes not signed.

IMO Toffoli is the better passer...the guy can thread a needle.

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Which of: Ferland, Virtanen, Roussel, Eriksson, Leivo, Sutter, Gaudette, Motte, Lind, Hoglander, MacEwen, exc. Would u take over those guys (when PIT had them in their prime) to be in a top 6. Those are the current options. Maybe you'd quibble with Virtanen & Sheary, if he's even back.

I doubt we get Tanev done unless he really wants to leave $$$ on the table. Other teams will offer him more than what makes sense for us.

You're forgetting Miller, Toffoli, Pearson, etc, but I'll digress from that. Some of those players you mentioned have actually played well for us. Gaudette could do well. Lind or Hoglander might prove to be a solid replacement for all we know. Pittsburgh went through a lot of players that did well and didn't do well either (ie. Galchenyuk). It's going to happen. Not everyone's going to pan out. You have to kind of throw things and see what sticks, which is what causes the carousel.

So honestly, don't think of the carousel as a bad thing as it's not necessarily. Evidently, we've found right fits so it's just a matter of time for another fit to come along.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

Why would you be disappointed about keeping Boeser over Toffoli? Boeser is several years younger, knows how to score, and already has more 50 point seasons than Toffoli. Boeser is way more valuable. I’ll never understand the hate Boeser gets around here. 

3 minutes ago, Millerdraft said:

I don’t hate Boeser at all.  Period.  Full stop.

I also do not hate Boeser.

Looking at the situation from a "what can the Canucks trade, what can they get for that asset, and how does it help the team?" perspective, Boeser is a very good trade chip. This does not mean that I hate him, nor do I think he is trash. It does not mean that I do not value his contributions, however, if the Canucks wanted to do something to shore up the defense (for example) then trading Boeser for a young(ish) defenseman is one way to achieve that goal. Chances are they could also get a break on some cap space.

Also, as lots of folks keep going on about, there's Podkolzin and Hoglander who are going to show up and fill those empty spaces......

regards,  G.

I think anyone who refuses to acknowledge that the flat cap was an unexpected development is not exactly being genuine in their criticism of Benning (let along the Luongo penalty). 

The fact of the matter is Vancouver has set themselves up to be a desirable destination and I imagine Benning is playing hardball on some of these contracts, as he very well should at this point. Just because a player goes to free agency doesn't mean they will find a better offer elsewhere.

There will be high quality players wanting to come here. Not worried about it.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

30 minutes ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

I blame LE. If he had lived up to his contract we would never have needed TT to begin with.

I blame the Sedins.  If they hadn't jelled so well with LE on Sweden's national team, Benning never would have signed him

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Not upset, Toffoli is a pretty good forward, but I'd rather the Canucks solidify the D and goaltending.

Yup, i would like to see Tanev signed... a  cheaper  replacement 1B  2 yr contract to replace Marky.. and let Toffee walk...  Canucks have enough forward to replace him.