Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[Rumour] Tyler Toffoli to hit free agency

Meh either hoglander or podkolzin will replace him. We needed to revamp our D that will be done. 

Likely getting 2 of Oel, Barrie or Dillon

Also need to sign a vet G to be with Demko

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Hockey God said:

If Toff is hitting free agency and the end result is we're getting OEL and keeping Jake instead ... I think this is a misstep.  

Well if the two are related at all.

If we get OEL without also exiting fairly equivalent dead cap back... then that is a bad deal on its own, regardless of who it costs us.  That will be biting us in the butt after next season when we would have to try to fit in OELs dollars, and Petterson/Hughes extensions while still paying Eriksson’s cap hit.

Edited by Provost
  • Hydration 1

7 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

Kick his ankles....

regards,  G.

No need...just fart next to the guy and he will be concussed 

If we are resigning Markstrom with a full NMC, then we should be making Demko available now and not before expansion where we will be in a pinch to move him for assets.

Or trading assets to Seattle to protect Thatcher.

Something is up here.

Oh well.

Guess JB is riding out the bad contracts.  Or he's got something cooking with Tampa Bay.

I'm hoping, Toffoli is going to FA to avoid losing the 4th round pick and he will sign with the Canucks...either Tanev or Marky or both will get big pay days with other teams.

6 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yup, i would like to see Tanev signed... a  cheaper  replacement 1B  2 yr contract to replace Marky.. and let Toffee walk...  Canucks have enough forward to replace him. 

Yeah, they still have Eriksson under contract, right?

regards,  G.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

3.5 cap hit for ferland but most likely coming off the books if he goes on LTIR

Doesn't' come off the books.  Will actually make it more complicated to build an active roster up to the salary cap.  It doesn't allow to bank cap space so it creates bonus overages that carry over into next season, and it also limits recall options.  In LTIR performance bonuses have to be covered, so the recall cap hit is not just the standard aav of the contract but the aav + the potential performance bonus.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, mll said:

Doesn't' come off the books.  Will actually make it more complicated to build an active roster up to the salary cap.  It doesn't allow to bank cap space so it creates bonus overages that carry over into next season, and it also limits recall options.  In LTIR performance bonuses have to be covered, so the recall cap hit is not just the standard aav of the contract but the aav + the potential performance bonus.  

What would happen if he was forced to retire due to injury?

6 minutes ago, Pete M said:

I'm hoping, Toffoli is going to FA to avoid losing the 4th round pick and he will sign with the Canucks...either Tanev or Marky or both will get big pay days with other teams.

I would assume the condition on the pick was if Tittyboy re ups in general no? 

That’s very interesting though...

• Hydration 1

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Completely wiped off the books

Just now, captainhorvat said:

Well personally I hope he's healthy since he's the type of player we need but overall if push comes to shove he should consider his long term health.

Trade will be a massive failure if he doesn’t sign here

• Hydration 1

1 hour ago, Spoosh said:

Oh well. Cant help it if the money isn’t there.

Yeah I mean benning could spend the money elsewhere (not markstrom AND tanev I hope). Sucks that we gave up madden, I'm not worried about the second.

But 1, toffoli did help us win 2 playoff rounds for the first time since 2011, and 2, even if that is a pricey rental, benning couldn't have predicted a flat cap as a result of an apocalypse.

Can we trade his rights back to la for a smallish centre prospect and a second? :bigblush:

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

He'll likely go on LTIR.  I don't see him giving up his contract.  They'll have to work around it.  For now he's expecting to play next season.  

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

Only if he gives up his contract entirely and is no longer paid - highly unlikely.  He is more likely to go on LTIR like Dorsett did - his contract will stay on the books.  It's challenging to operate in LTIR because it limits flexibility.  

Edited by mll

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

Yeah I mean benning could spend the money elsewhere (not markstrom AND tanev I hope). Sucks that we gave up madden, I'm not worried about the second.

But 1, toffoli did help us win 2 playoff rounds for the first time since 2011, and 2, even if that is a pricey rental, benning couldn't have predicted a flat cap as a result of an apocalypse.

Yup.

Though I’m pretty sure Benning didn’t view him as a rental - but like he said, different world now and probably wouldn’t have made the calls (trades) they did 6 months ago with the information (flat cap) they have today.

• Hydration 2

Too bad to see Toffoli go but hopefully this allows some dollars to help improve the defense and/or keep Marky around