The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Virtanen Qualified

Provost

1 minute ago, Pete M said:

Virtanen is a tradeable asset if he signs.

Given what Anderson got, the idea Jake can fetch a 1st rounder doesn't seem so outlandish. I'd like to keep him, but at the same time I doubt this coaching staff will actually play him in the top 6. So I'd like for him to be traded just to see if he can fully reach that top 6 potential elsewhere. Or if he fizzles out as a 3rd liner and my belief in him was misguided all these years. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Virtanen is a tradeable asset if he signs.

That is my hope right now.  An unknown arb award likely makes his value really low.  If we actually signed him for less than that we could possibly move him more easily.

I am just done with a player that has to be convinced to actually want to play hockey at his age.

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

That is my hope right now.  An unknown arb award likely makes his value really low.  If we actually signed him for less than that we could possibly move him more easily.

I am just done with a player that has to be convinced to actually want to play hockey at his age.

264.jpg.2c53d5b1444deda482391b14648d4366.jpg

Love your optimism

Edited by Moose Nuckle
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Millerdraft said:

Two years/$5m or three years/$7.5m.  I think those are both reasonable offers.

I don't see why he'd take a 2 year deal, when he can go to arbitration and potentially get 3+mil for one year. And if he replicates last season's totals cash in more next summer. The optics don't make sense for a 2 year deal from Jake's perspective. To avoid arbitration you either give him term, IE 4 year deal, or you get really close to that likely arbitration number. In which case it'd be more than that 2.5 you're hoping for. 4 years at McCann money might work although if I am Jake Virtanen I gamble on myself, go to arbitration, and try match or improve upon last season's numbers. 

7 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Given what Anderson got, the idea Jake can fetch a 1st rounder doesn't seem so outlandish. I'd like to keep him, but at the same time I doubt this coaching staff will actually play him in the top 6. So I'd like for him to be traded just to see if he can fully reach that top 6 potential elsewhere. Or if he fizzles out as a 3rd liner and my belief in him was misguided all these years. 

Gotta a feeling he will keep progressing....if he makes hockey his number one priority and only priority, he will become the PWF that we expect.

Focus on hockey when in the twenties and start living your life in your thirties...if he does this, he will get paid in the near future. He needs to think only hockey.

then again, life happens while your making plans.

Edited by Pete M

Just now, Provost said:

You do know that Virtanen can be traded later right? There is no reason to throw Virtanen away right NOW. So much for your understanding of deadlines, Mr. "Negotiator". Qualifying Virtanen extends the deadline.

Just now, Pete M said:

Gotta a feeling he will keep progressing....if he makes hockey his number one priority and only priority, he will become the PWF that we expect.

Focus on hockey when in the twenties and start living your life in your thirties...if he does this, he will get paid in the near future. He needs to think only hockey.

Yeah, I know people call him immature. I don't think it's immaturity that is holding him back. He's just not as dedicated to hockey as the other truly elite players. I don't fault him for it, although it is rather disappointing given how much talent he has. He is a good third liner with sub optimal dedication, can only imagine how great he'd be if he did dedicate more to the game. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, N7Nucks said:

I don't see why he'd take a 2 year deal, when he can go to arbitration and potentially get 3+mil for one year. And if he replicates last season's totals cash in more next summer. The optics don't make sense for a 2 year deal from Jake's perspective. To avoid arbitration you either give him term, IE 4 year deal, or you get really close to that likely arbitration number. In which case it'd be more than that 2.5 you're hoping for. 4 years at McCann money might work although if I am Jake Virtanen I gamble on myself, go to arbitration, and try match or improve upon last season's numbers. 

Maybe on some other team.  I wouldn’t do that here.  He hasn’t shown the proper level of professional effort to make a four year term a comfortable offer on management’s side

17 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I would like to keep Virtanen, but I'm not sure management does. 

I would like a contract in the 4 year, 3M per range similar to Kapanen's deal. 

That would make sense, especially if he could be a top 6 contributor! But coach Green seems to keep him in the bottom 6 and Jake doesn't play a Ryan Reeves physical hit everything kind of game. he is top 6 or bust maybe a offensive 3rd line scoring winger 

• Wat 1

4 minutes ago, Millerdraft said:

Maybe on some other team.  I wouldn’t do that here.  He hasn’t shown the proper level of professional effort to make a four year term a comfortable offer on management’s side

He's a legit 3rd line talent. The problem isn't that he's some scrub that can't play hockey, which is what people like you think. The problem is there is so much talent he should be able to do more. I'd give him 4 years at like 3mil. Worst case scenario is he's just a 3rd liner. Best case scenario is we have an underpaid top 6 winger.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Yeah, I know people call him immature. I don't think it's immaturity that is holding him back. He's just not as dedicated to hockey as the other truly elite players. I don't fault him for it, although it is rather disappointing given how much talent he has. He is a good third liner with sub optimal dedication, can only imagine how great he'd be if he did dedicate more to the game. 

A lot of it is mental, he might think he is dedicated, but he needs to compare his mind set to Crosby, McKinnon, Giroux, and the other elite hockey players to understand what it takes and the dedication and mind set that is required to be elite....maybe a mental coach can help with setting his mind to make hockey a priority similar to how Crosby makes hockey a priority....he almost has to be reborn, if you know what I mean.

To be expected -

And indictate clearly by Epp in his interview with Don Taylor earlier.

I agree with qualifying him. 

And there's absolutely no way he accepts that q.o. or re-sign him at 1.25 million in the end - he has easily earned an uptick on that.

I'm not on the move Virtanen team - so I'm happy and not the least bit surprised to see this.

I'm good with this. Real good. I've definitely been one of the vocal ones and have been hard on Jake at times. Probably at best he could return a second in trade. Why bother, I'd rather keep working with him and see if he comes around and becomes a more consistent player. Glad Jake is here, for now anyways.

7 minutes ago, Pete M said:

A lot of it is mental, he might think he is dedicated, but he needs to compare his mind set to Crosby, McKinnon, Giroux, and the other elite hockey players to understand what it takes and the dedication and mind set that is required to be elite....maybe a mental coach can help with setting his mind to make hockey a priority similar to how Crosby makes hockey a priority....he almost has to be reborn, if you know what I mean.

Funny thing is MacKinnon didn't really start turning it on until he started training with guys like Crosby. Maybe that's what Jake needs. An offseason training with some hard working dogs. Maybe with Big Bert. I heard him say he would love to work with Jake, that was a few years ago too. 

• Cheers 2