The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Virtanen Qualified

Provost

14 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

That would make sense, especially if he could be a top 6 contributor! But coach Green seems to keep him in the bottom 6 and Jake doesn't play a Ryan Reeves physical hit everything kind of game. he is top 6 or bust maybe a offensive 3rd line scoring winger 

I don't mind keeping Virtanen on the 3rd line as a bottom-6 scorer that can occasionally move up in the lineup. 

Removing Virtanen from the lineup makes our bottom-6 look even more like an offensive black hole. Virtanen can get 30-40 points regardless of who he's playing with and what usage he receives as he proved this year. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Funny thing is MacKinnon didn't really start turning it on until he started training with guys like Crosby. Maybe that's what Jake needs. An offseason training with some hard working dogs. Maybe with Big Bert. I heard him say he would love to work with Jake, that was a few years ago too. 

You mean beer and wings at Cactus Club Big Bert? That guy? lol

Edited by Ghost of Sacrilage

1 minute ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Toffoli can still re-sign with us even if he hits free agency.

True, but I'm of the mindset it's not happening. Deal can't be done cause Benning can't move out cap. I don't think he'll be able to move out cap before someone sends Toffoli an offer. Which is one of the reasons why I think the team qualified Jake. The timing is really the only indication I have for this theory. If Benning can work some magic and move out some deadweight, I'd love to have Toffoli back. But Eriksson has to go and/or Sutter and Roussel. 

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

True, but I'm of the mindset it's not happening. Deal can't be done cause Benning can't move out cap. I don't think he'll be able to move out cap before someone sends Toffoli an offer. Which is one of the reasons why I think the team qualified Jake. The timing is really the only indication I have for this theory. If Benning can work some magic and move out some deadweight, I'd love to have Toffoli back. But Eriksson has to go and/or Sutter and Roussel. 

We could re-sign Toffoli without moving out anchor contracts (not ideal) if we don't re-sign Marky and Tanev. 

We have the cap to sign at least one of our big 3 if we definitely lose the other two (and we don't add OEL unless we send an anchor back)

Folks just because Jake V was qualified doesn’t mean TT won’t get signed (we own his rights for a few more days) or that JV won’t get traded.    This is bottom level news ... about as a no brainer as signed Big Mac for a couple years at just of the league minimum.   JV for sure is worth it as he was last season at 1.5.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

We could re-sign Toffoli without moving out anchor contracts (not ideal) if we don't re-sign Marky and Tanev. 

We have the cap to sign at least one of our big 3 if we definitely lose the other two (and we don't add OEL unless we send an anchor back)

I mean, Toffoli is more of a luxury. Tanev and Marky are more of a necessity. Unless Demko truly is ready. I would prioritize those two over Toffoli as well. We have Hoglander, Lind and Podkolzin all in the pipeline. Leivo had some chemistry with Bo and Pearson before injury hit. We have options for Toffoli's spot. We don't exactly have top 4 RD options for Tanny and Demko is still unproven. There's a chance we don't even trade for Toffoli if Boeser and/or Leivo were healthy at the deadline.

37 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

That would make sense, especially if he could be a top 6 contributor! But coach Green seems to keep him in the bottom 6 and Jake doesn't play a Ryan Reeves physical hit everything kind of game. he is top 6 or bust maybe a offensive 3rd line scoring winger 

Jake keeps Jake in the bottom 6.

• Upvote 2

JB choosing Virtanen over Toffoli it seems. Jake has so much untapped potential but I can't see him reaching it. I don't think he has the maturity to do what he needs to do to be mentally and physically prepared to be consistent on a regular basis. 

Just now, peaches5 said:

JB choosing Virtanen over Toffoli it seems. Jake has so much untapped potential but I can't see him reaching it. I don't think he has the maturity to do what he needs to do to be mentally and physically prepared to be consistent on a regular basis. 

Nothing chosen yet. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, N7Nucks said:

I mean, Toffoli is more of a luxury. Tanev and Marky are more of a necessity. Unless Demko truly is ready. I would prioritize those two over Toffoli as well. We have Hoglander, Lind and Podkolzin all in the pipeline. Leivo had some chemistry with Bo and Pearson before injury hit. We have options for Toffoli's spot. We don't exactly have top 4 RD options for Tanny and Demko is still unproven. There's a chance we don't even trade for Toffoli if Boeser and/or Leivo were healthy at the deadline.

I'd be surprised to see Marky extend (not that we wouldn't want to bring him back). Other than that he likes it here/likes the team, he's got nothing but reasons to go elsewhere.

If he walks, then Tanev vs Toffoli as the 'one guy we sign' depends on whether we manage the OEL trade or not IMO.

If we add OEL, hello Toffoli. If we don't, hello Tanev.

Have to wait for the dominoes to continue falling before we know which direction we're headed.

40 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

He's a legit 3rd line talent. The problem isn't that he's some scrub that can't play hockey, which is what people like you think. The problem is there is so much talent he should be able to do more. I'd give him 4 years at like 3mil. Worst case scenario is he's just a 3rd liner. Best case scenario is we have an underpaid top 6 winger.

Where exactly did I give you this false impression that I think Virtanen is some scrub that can’t play hockey and unworthy of a roster spot?

5 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I would agree on Markstrom except for the expansion draft.

We need to make a decision next year and if Markstrom is demanding a NMC now, then we need to let him walk since that takes the decision away from us too early. 

• Cheers 1