The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Capitals re-sign Brendan Dillon

14 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

This puts Tanev about $4.5-$5 million.

FAR too many hot name UFAs and now unqualified RFA's hitting the market for teams to have to worry about over paying under the Covid economy in the NHL

$4.5+/- x 3 years or $4+/- x 4 IMO.

For that money, I'm glad we didn't bite.

For those comparing, I don't think Dillon is very close to Tanev's value. At best equal offensively, one year younger, much more physical, but likely no where near as strong defensively.

Tanev will get quite a bit more than Dillon I think.

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

This puts Tanev about $4.5-$5 million.

FAR too many hot name UFAs and now unqualified RFA's hitting the market for teams to have to worry about over paying under the Covid economy in the NHL

It's not the cap hit so much is the term for Tanev.  Too risky giving him four years.

3 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Lol we just lost leverage in OEL.

Are you just trying to make up stories here?

People are way too gullible towards the rumour mill. It's no wonder why Eklund's site is probably going strong. lol

• Wat 1

2 hours ago, Dazzle said:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/free-agent-brenden-dillon-love-sign-canucks

4 days ago, he said he loves the Canucks. 4 million dollars later, he loves the capitals for four years.

I know it's part of negotiations but this is just blatant toying to get a better deal from Washington.

even if it were just posturing, let him run his price up at the expense of a contender....hopefully these teams will be in our crosshairs in the near future.

Personally I'd rather re-sign Tanev - but imo this is a good example of not assuming it will be easy to go to the market to replace him. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

even if it were just posturing, let him run his price up at the expense of a contender....hopefully these teams will be in our crosshairs in the near future.

Personally I'd rather re-sign Tanev - but imo this is a good example of not assuming it will be easy to go to the market to replace him. 

Yes. Unless Tanev has explicitly indicated that he wants to test UFA market, which he hasn't, we should try to find some way to keep him.

Just now, Dazzle said:

Yes. Unless Tanev has explicitly indicated that he wants to test UFA market, which he hasn't, we should try to find some way to keep him.

Dillon is a LHD in any event. 

Does this team 'really need' one?

Not really.   Edler, Hughes, Juolevi, (Fantenburg?), Benn, Rathbone, Brisebois, Sautner....

I'd make an exception for Ekman-larsson at the right price (with LE going the other way)  but otherwise I see no point in shopping for UFA LHD, particularly ones that go in this price range...too rich, not really a principal need/option....not sure why so many people were believing he should be a principal target.

Nice to hear the sentiment about interest in coming here. but it wasn't really in the cards imo.

Thanks but no thanks.  

This deal will look bad in a month.  Give it some time.  NHL's not coming back in 2020, so rushing is a game for fools.