The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joni Jurmo | D

GoldenAlien

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I can see Jurmo being converted to left wing.  He could get to 6'4" 220 pounds.  With his skating ability he could be a force in a bottom 6 role.

He's one guy who'd do really good converted.

His skating is incredible. He's got good handles to boot.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

He's one guy who'd do really good converted.

His skating is incredible. He's got good handles to boot.

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I can see Jurmo being converted to left wing.  He could get to 6'4" 220 pounds.  With his skating ability he could be a force in a bottom 6 role.

You don't just go converting a guy to forward, who isn't a big scorer anyways, after playing d his whole life.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

A defenceman who can skate like that, if he can learn to defend, would be far more valuable than a bottom six winger, and he is very young. Defence is a learnable skill.

That's the question.  Can he learn how to defend.  If he can, then we have a great defensive prospect.  If he can't then you can teach him how to play left wing.  Switching from defence to wing isn't as difficult as the other way around.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

You don't just go converting a guy to forward, who isn't a big scorer anyways, after playing d his whole life.

It's not something you want to do but if he doesn't learn how to defend which is the reason he went in the 3rd round then it's always an option.  It's not like it's never happened before in the NHL where players have switched positions.

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It's not something you want to do but if he doesn't learn how to defend which is the reason he went in the 3rd round then it's always an option.  It's not like it's never happened before in the NHL where players have switched positions.

It's been tried before but mostly it didn't work, more often a winger moving back to play D. They tried with Jason Cullimore never worked out and really screwed up his future. Jurmo strikes me is the same as any number of junior D that can rush the puck but the last 20-30 feet is their undoing, they can't finish. I have to believe Jurmo is a good pick, reputedly has good feet which is good for a big man but he'll play D

12 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I will remind people of these 2 guys..............

Wendel Clarke, who did ok after changing from Defense to Wing

and

Brent Burns who went from Forward to defense

(Both Allstars in their day)

You missed one, Big Buff back in the Chicago days. D to wing and back to D, they had no idea where to play him

• Cheers 2

On 2/9/2021 at 3:42 AM, Ray_Cathode said:

A defenceman who can skate like that, if he can learn to defend, would be far more valuable than a bottom six winger, and he is very young. Defence is a learnable skill.

Yeah, but when I was in peewee I converted from center to left D (I shoot right. No big deal)

so it’s no big deal for pros and what not to do it all the time.  

3 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Yeah, but when I was in peewee I converted from center to left D (I shoot right. No big deal)

Yeah but Joni Jurmo is no drummerboy! I’m skeptical if he can do it ;) 

11 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Yeah, it is a big deal by the time you have had ten or twelve years of developing defensive habits. That is why there are not many guys like Schmidt.