The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joni Jurmo | D

GoldenAlien

2 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I caught that listening to the interview yesterday. The tools look to be there, but his IQ is in serious question that's for sure...

Hence his draft position, his physical tools are intriguing so without question marks he would have gone much higher.

I like the philosophy swinging for the fences after the first rounds though, picks like him and Viktor Persson are the ones that could really pay off big time, but of course you need a number of picks like that for one to hit and most of them will not lead to an NHL player. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

21 hours ago, J-P said:

Hence his draft position, his physical tools are intriguing so without question marks he would have gone much higher.

I like the philosophy swinging for the fences after the first rounds though, picks like him and Viktor Persson are the ones that could really pay off big time, but of course you need a number of picks like that for one to hit and most of them will not lead to an NHL player. 

I too like the philosophy  but the chances of success are extremely limited but worth a go. 

11 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I too like the philosophy  but the chances of success are extremely limited but worth a go. 

Yeah, I read that once you are in the 2nd round the odds of an NHL player (that plays at least 200 NHL games in his career) are about 20% and the odds of it being an impact player are somewhere around 1 in 10. 

4 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Yeah, I read that once you are in the 2nd round the odds of an NHL player (that plays at least 200 NHL games in his career) are about 20% and the odds of it being an impact player are somewhere around 1 in 10. 

True. On the other hand, if you draft a player like the ones in this article (Gaudreau, Klingberg, Gallagher, Slavin, Kaprizov etc. all round 5 and below) in the lower rounds every five year or so it's well worth the gamble ;-)

https://www.thesportster.com/hockey/the-15-biggest-nhl-draft-steals-since-2010/

Interesting

Scouting Report

A no-nonsense puck mover who apparently has played more error-free games than any draft-eligible defenseman I’ve watched this season, Jurmo has to be considered one of Europe’s top two-way rearguards. He plays for a superpower in Jokerit, which relies on him to eat big minutes, play on special teams, and match up against opposing top lines.

Jurmo has everything you would want in a potential top-pairing defenseman. He is an effortless skater with a long, clean stride , and he doesn’t buckle under the first sign of pressure. When it comes to the breakout, Jurmo utilizes quick thinking and a series of deceptive moves to either peel away from a forechecker or trap him with a bank pass. At 6-foot-3, 190 pounds, Jurmo can be an intimidating presence as he powers through the zone at top speed. His decision making with the puck is more clean than it is creative, but he has excellent vision and will delay in the offensive zone to open up a line for either a hard shot or an on-the-tape seam pass. And good luck trying to dance around him in a one-on-one scenario — Jurmo closes on rushing forwards in a hurry and will neutralize an entry attempt with either a strong body check or well-timed stick-on-puck.

It’s hard to find fault in a young defenseman who has excelled at every level, although Jurmo is a bit of newcomer on the international scene. Like most gifted teenage blueliners, Jurmo tries to do everything on his own, specifically in the defensive end. Developing chemistry with his partner has not been a problem, but at times he can be caught chasing well away from the slot. Still, these observations are minor and certainly fixable. From a point-production standpoint, Jurmo is not a run-of-the-mill shoot-first defender, but Jokerit’s slew of talented forwards on their high-powered roster limits his opportunities to be creative. If he ever finds himself on a top-heavy squad, the potential for primary assists off the shot or pass will increase.

Jurmo may not look like he plays with intensity, but don’t mistake his casual demeanor off the puck as being lazy or aloof — he locks in on the puck at all times and will make a quick dash into a passing lane to break up a play. On offense, Jurmo can control the flow of a possession with timely and accurate passes while incorporating himself into a cycle. Having a strong skating background doesn’t guarantee he’ll be mobile at all times, as Jurmo seems more economical with his movements than exploded towards every loose puck within 100 feet. He plays the point on the power play and can deliver a hard, low shot, but he also rushes the puck from end to end and will attack a rival defenseman in a one-on-one situation.

LHD Joni Jurmo definitely made a statement at the U19 Four Nations (3g, 3a in 3 gp). He followed that up with three primary assists and the OT winner in Jokerit U20’s 6-5 win over Assat U20 on Wednesday.#2020NHLDraft

Assist #1 pic.twitter.com/jlErjDMWHN

— Steve Kournianos (@TheDraftAnalyst) February 13, 2020

• Cheers 2

On 6/5/2021 at 12:55 PM, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I caught that listening to the interview yesterday. The tools look to be there, but his IQ is in serious question that's for sure...

I think a lot of the same has been said about Edler through a lot of his career.

Albeit, at least for Edler, he had a very deep defense ahead of him that allowed him to grow into a top guy.

Can Jurmo get out of his contract early to come hone his craft in Abbotsford after this upcoming season? Jurmo is currently under contract till then end of 22/23 season, which would also be the year we have to sign him before he would re enter draft or be a UFA no?

5 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Can Jurmo get out of his contract early to come hone his craft in Abbotsford after this upcoming season? Jurmo is currently under contract till then end of 22/23 season, which would also be the year we have to sign him before he would re enter draft or be a UFA no?

Didn't he stay and sign to play in Europe at the Canucks' suggestion and with their blessing?

Correction: I believe he signed for 2 years before he was drafted.  May have been posted before, but I hadn't seen it .......

https://thehockeywriters.com/joni-jurmo-2020-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Edited by Googlie

2 hours ago, Googlie said:

Didn't he stay and sign to play in Europe at the Canucks' suggestion and with their blessing?

Correction: I believe he signed for 2 years before he was drafted.  May have been posted before, but I hadn't seen it .......

https://thehockeywriters.com/joni-jurmo-2020-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Jurmo signed a two year contract with Jukurit, on May 3rd, 2021.

https://jukurit.fi/fi-fi/article/uutiset/petrus-palmu-vahvistamaan-jukurien-hyokkaysta-saku-forsblom-ja-joni-jurmo-puolustukseen/3651/

The deal would be subject to the transfer agreement, so that contract must include an NHL out clause, as the transfer agreement recognizes the NHL’s “exclusive rights” to their drafted players.

So the Canucks will have offseason windows (as set out in the transfer agreement) where they can simply offer an ELC and, if Jurmo signs, his Liiga contract is voided.

Outside of those windows, the Canucks would need to get permission from Jukurit, which they’d most likely get (or they could just wait for the next window). 

Most European clubs don’t try to stand in the way of their players joining the NHL, they just want fair compensation (which the transfer agreement sets), and the right to bring their young players back, if they don’t make the NHL (which the agreement also provides for).

EDIT: The new contract also apparently includes a two month tryout to start. I’m curious if there might be another signing window during this tryout period, if the Canucks decided to offer and ELC before the tryout period ends and the Liiga contact comes into full effect (honestly have no idea how this aspect would work, just an interesting wrinkle).

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

On 6/9/2021 at 3:13 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

He’s a boom or bust pick which I don’t mind in the 3rd round. If he does pan out look out. 

The thing about a strong skating defender is that you may get a second opportunity with him as a winger, but hopefully he makes it as a defenceman - arguably more valuable than a winger.

• RoughGame 1

On 6/5/2021 at 3:11 PM, J-P said:

Why was he chosen if his hockey IQ was in question? Shouldn’t we be looking for players with high hockey IQ, even if they don’t have the physical tools necessarily. I mean, look at Virtanen. Is Jurmo Virtanen just on the defensive end? 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Why was he chosen if his hockey IQ was in question? Shouldn’t we be looking for players with high hockey IQ, even if they don’t have the physical tools necessarily. I mean, look at Virtanen. Is Jurmo Virtanen just on the defensive end? 

There is a difference. Of course we shouldn't draft players with questions around hockey IQ in the first round if the skills aren't out of this world. But in the third round it's another matter.

Hockey IQ alone is not enough to be an NHL player in most cases. If they don't have an elite toolbox (speed, strength, skill, vision) the IQ will only take most players so far. Brendan Gaunce is a good example drafted in the first round. 

Players with elite IQ and tools get selected in the first round generally. From the third round down you have to gamble a bit more since all players have shortcomings. IMO it's a good strategy to at least partially avoid safe picks with low ceiling in the later rounds and go for the home runs.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, J-P said:

There is a difference. Of course we shouldn't draft players with questions around hockey IQ in the first round if the skills aren't out of this world. But in the third round it's another matter.

Hockey IQ alone is not enough to be an NHL player in most cases. If they don't have an elite toolbox (speed, strength, skill, vision) the IQ will only take most players so far. Brendan Gaunce is a good example drafted in the first round. 

Players with elite IQ and tools get selected in the first round generally. From the third round down you have to gamble a bit more since all players have shortcomings. IMO it's a good strategy to at least partially avoid safe picks with low ceiling in the later rounds and go for the home runs.

Ah i see. Thank you for explaining that to me. I appreciate that. 

I guess the Jurmo is a gamble - was he a good gamble by management? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Ah i see. Thank you for explaining that to me. I appreciate that. 

I guess the Jurmo is a gamble - was he a good gamble by management? 

Oh yes, exactly the type of gamble I want in the lower rounds. Jurmo oozes potential, and although there are question marks around his hockey IQ I don't think there's any general conclusion that it is or will remain bad. You need decent IQ too be a good defender but I wouldn't say it's the strong suit for e.g. Myers or Edler and they have still done ok .

Don't remember the odds for a 3rd rounder being a regular NHL player, probably under 10%, so we should keep that in mind I suppose...

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, J-P said:

Oh yes, exactly the type of gamble I want in the lower rounds. Jurmo oozes potential, and although there are question marks around his hockey IQ I don't think there's any general conclusion that it is or will remain bad. You need decent IQ too be a good defender but I wouldn't say it's the strong suit for e.g. Myers or Edler and they have still done ok .

Don't remember the odds for a 3rd rounder being a regular NHL player, probably under 10%, so we should keep that in mind I suppose...

I’m rooting for Jurmo to make it in Canucks colours. I hope he’s able to get to Abby sooner rather than later. Would be awesome for the coaching and for the parent club to be able to watch him, and give him feedback with the Abbotsford team only an hour away. 

• Cheers 2

On 6/5/2021 at 12:55 PM, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

On 6/9/2021 at 2:03 PM, Fred65 said:

Interesting

well tose 2 review do not sound like they are talking about the same player

what a shrimpy draft, from Jurmo at 82 to Cotton at 152 there is one defenseman who topped 200#s

Michael Krutil  6'3" 202#s