The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joni Jurmo | D

GoldenAlien

19 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I'm not sure how many slots we have in our contracted players. It was 5 but we've signed a couplesince then. So I'm thinking they'll have a prioriy list keeping in mind some NCAA FA's soon to become available 

If we sign him to an ELC for the 23/24 season we would be fine as we currently only have 33 contracts for that season. If they have not had contract discussions yet I would suspect they are looking at next season.

4 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

If we sign him to an ELC for the 23/24 season we would be fine as we currently only have 33 contracts for that season. If they have not had contract discussions yet I would suspect they are looking at next season.

And they might do just that. But under the 22/23 season maybe not room for him. If you're maanger you have priorities. It's why they have all these scouting meeting, trying to prioritize their propsects. Jurmo may well be good but in management eyes not #1  IMO

Edited by Fred65

• 2 weeks later...

I've been checking out some of the prospects lately and found this little gem about 2 of our boys...

https://www.theobserver.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-prospects-tracker-the-road-ahead-for-raty-and-the-jurmo-connection

The Canucks prospects connections run deeper than we think.

There’s the Aidan McDonough — Jack Rathbone bromance, best friends borne from playing together as kids in Massachusetts.

Now we have the Joni Jurmo — Aatu Raty connection, good friends since their early teenage years playing in Finland. They’ve played with each other, against each other and could be reunited next season should the Canucks sign the 2020 third-round pick at the end of the season.

Just one season ago, Raty was putting his game back together in Finland with Mikkelin Jukurit, alongside Jurmo. They grew close, and when Raty heard he had been traded to the Canucks, he messaged his good friend Joni with the news.

“I woke up and I saw Aatu had sent me a text … and I was wondering what it was,” Jurmo told the Prospects Tracker on Monday. “He sent me a message ‘see you next year, buddy’ and then I was like ‘what!?” then I opened up instagram and all I can see was the trade.

“I like it a lot. Aatu is, first and foremost, a great guy and a really good friend of mine … I’ve probably never met anyone who has such a big desire to develop his own game. Every time we had extra ice or extra practice, he would always be the first guy on. I think the switch from Karpat to Jukurit was a great thing for him. He got to play under Olli Jokinen, who is a great coach and I think everyone saw how good of a player he actually is.”

Jurmo said Raty is an “extremely smart player” who is “super hard to play against” and is “strong on his legs.”

Raty, for his part, spoke highly of Jurmo, saying on Friday that the towering defenceman is a “great player” and a “good friend of mine.”

“He’s a great D-man. He’s going to be a great Canucks player one day.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1

So Joni Jurmo has become the new McDounagh (sp?)

Now that we have the college FA’s and or pending FA ‘s dealt with, it’s either a bit of over expressed anxiety about whether he signs or not.

Why would we not sign this guy and why would a Finnish guy not want to come Vancouver.

Its like the Bahamas to Jurmo..

just sign him before heading to Florida… he might not realize until it’s too late… lol

It’s not like the Club has a rock solid D corps.

On 3/14/2023 at 1:17 PM, VegasCanuck said:

First off, I don't trust ANYTHING that comes out of CanucksArmy.com, they are about a step below National Inquirer in my opinion. They are like these groups that post headlines like "HUGE METEOR SCREAMING TOWARDS EARTH", then when you click, its like...if you use the James Webb telescope, you should be able to see it as it passes 10 million miles from Earth.

Second, right now, we are focused on signing guys that we can do a contract with against this season's contract cap numbers. Right now, we're at 45 out of 50 available for this season, if we sign Jurmo (not sure when his current contract in Europe expires), we wouldn't put him on anything before next year IMO. If he was free to come over this season, they would likely sign him through Abbotsford to close out the season.

Canuck’s Army: Here’s the news today… there isn’t any news.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

We have his rights for one more year... 

He would've been a nice addition to Abby. 

18 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

We have his rights for one more year... 

He would've been a nice addition to Abby. 

Yes I really like Jurmo 21 , 6'3 - 215 lbs - LD bright future need to sign this prospect soon..Don't want him walking free..

Future stay at home guy #4 or #5  D man good skater- 2025-    Really like Pettersson 19 -6'3 -LD. Maybe #3 or #4 by 2025 season

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Jurmo isn’t AHL eligible until 2024-25 anyway.

If signed this year, he’d have to either make the NHL Canucks, or be offered back to his Finnish team.

Under the transfer agreement, IIHF member league players drafted outside the first round must be 22 years old (if they were drafted before the current agreement was ratified) or 24 years old (for all those drafted after the agreement was ratified) to be assigned to the AHL. 

(EDIT: Just to clarify. They must be offered back to their Euro leagues. The team can waive their rights and/or refuse, which would free the NHL club to assign the player to the AHL. But if the Euro team wants him back, these age rules apply and would block AHL assignment.)

Jurmo just turned 21 this year, and he won’t be 22 until April 2024. He was drafted before the current transfer agreement, so the age 22 requirement is in effect for him, when it comes to his eligibility for AHL assignment.

If Jurmo was signed to a ELC this year, he’d have to be offered back to his Liiga team if he didn’t make the NHL Canucks right out of camp.

Next year, however, he can be signed and, since he’ll be age 22, the Canucks will be free to assign him to Abbotsford. 

Here’s a copy of the MoA. I believe it’s article 4.1 that lays out the details:

https://www.ceskyhokej.cz/data/document/file/czech-republic-new-player-development-agreement-fully-executed-apr.-7-2022.pdf

Thanks Sid Sid is you! :towel:

So many fans inundate the fforum with their need for a big D'man and yet some how, some how  Jurmo fails to qualify. I liked him in the WJC and after all that's one of the most scouted tourneys. If Vcr doesn't sign him some one else will

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Fred65 said:

So many fans inundate the fforum with their need for a big D'man and yet some how, some how  Jurmo fails to qualify. I liked him in the WJC and after all that's one of the most scouted tourneys. If Vcr doesn't sign him some one else will

They’ll sign him. Too much raw skill not to. Given contracts, future cap etc there’s no need to bring him now. let him play one more season in Europe then come over at the end of the season to Abby. Sounds like that’s the plan 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1