The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joni Jurmo | D

GoldenAlien

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

It worried me at first, but he was also stated as the "one of the most improved players in the Finish-jr league." So he may not be the smartest guy around, but sounds like he is hard working. Good work ethic can overcome most shortcomings. You can't really teach hard work, you can teach the Xs and Os. He's big, he's fast. Work on the hockey smarts side of the game and we got us a really gamer in the 3rd round.

For sure. I liked the improved player comment as well. Shows he's on the upswing and that he is adjusting well to the next level of play.

7 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

This guy is the best scout guy on YouTube I've found. 

I like him because despite relying on analytics, he makes it applicable and easy to understand from a lay person's POV.  I watch him a lot too and he always talks in terms that allow viewers to understand why he thinks this way with a player based on the analytics.

Definitely a great guy.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I like him because despite relying on analytics, he makes it applicable and easy to understand from a lay person's POV.  I watch him a lot too and he always talks in terms that allow viewers to understand why he thinks this way with a player based on the analytics.

Definitely a great guy.

What makes him great for me is he understands how to analyze prospects. He's great at scouting the potential strengths and weak eases of a player. 

16 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Honest question, why isn't he a first round draft pick the way the scouting reports say??? 

Questions about his ability to process the game.  Decision making under pressure sometimes not great.  

Sounds familiar to a sense of Luca Sbisa - where he was a very good skater, had some real good skill overall, but his hockey sense led him astray at times.  Joni is a great skater and lots of raw skill but upside might be limited if he doesn't improve his decision making.  

Upside is that he is already playing in the Liiga this season in his draft year, and has lots of time to refine his game.  He is certainly raw in many areas, and is more a long term project but could very well be a steal should he reach his potential.

5 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Questions about his ability to process the game.  Decision making under pressure sometimes not great.  

Sounds familiar to a sense of Luca Sbisa - where he was a very good skater, had some real good skill overall, but his hockey sense led him astray at times.  Joni is a great skater and lots of raw skill but upside might be limited if he doesn't improve his decision making.  

Upside is that he is already playing in the Liiga this season in his draft year, and has lots of time to refine his game.  He is certainly raw in many areas, and is more a long term project but could very well be a steal should he reach his potential.

Good news is that he says he watches a lot of Canucks games since they have good young talent so that will help him process the game watching our high IQ core

I wonder if playing video games (NHL specifically) as a teenager helps with hockey sense or it just comes naturally ? how to improve such a critique besides watching film

58 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Honest question, why isn't he a first round draft pick the way the scouting reports say??? 

Because teams couldnt use the same methods this year, so makes them all even more blind.  Hard to get a consensus list without the tools .