The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jackson Kunz | LW

GoldenAlien

11 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Tied for 8th in goals scored!

Not bad for an 18 year old in his first full USHL season, and playing on the second line.

EDIT: and yeah, he’s really just 18. Was one of the youngest players in his draft, and won’t turn 19 for another 8 months

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

6 ft 3 in.......215 lbs.........poor kid is probably getting bullied by all the older kids!

Yeah, he’s a big boy. Glad to see him having success, now that he’s playing in a 16-21 age league, versus dominating prep school kids. At Kunz’s size, he’ll never hit a level where he isn’t bigger than most players, but at least now he’s playing against young men who are a little closer to his size, and still scoring goals at a good rate.

Just need some improvements in his skating, and we might have a player in Kunz. He’s still very young, so lots of time to work on it, and I doubt he’s had a lot of focused training with a skating coach, so hopefully he can improve significantly.

He has the body and the nose for the net, just needs to work on the feet.

• Cheers 2

On 1/3/2021 at 6:19 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, he’s a big boy. Glad to see him having success, now that he’s playing in a 16-21 age league, versus dominating prep school kids. At Kunz’s size, he’ll never hit a level where he isn’t bigger than most players, but at least now he’s playing against young men who are a little closer to his size, and still scoring goals at a good rate.

Just need some improvements in his skating, and we might have a player in Kunz. He’s still very young, so lots of time to work on it, and I doubt he’s had a lot of focused training with a skating coach, so hopefully he can improve significantly.

He has the body and the nose for the net, just needs to work on the feet.

Hopefully he has more success at it than his power forward-prospect predecessors, Gadjovich and Keppen, so far have.

8 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Hopefully he has more success at it than his power forward-prospect predecessors, Gadjovich and Keppen, so far have.

Yeah, “power forward” types are a bit of a crapshoot to start, and even more so when they’re later picks with significant areas to improve or outright holes in their games.

For Kunz, it’s definitely his skating.

On the plus size, he’s still very young, and his other tools (size, shot, scorer’s instincts, hockey sense, aggression/heavy play) seem pretty well formed already, at only 18 years old.

But flawed skating, especially of the “heavy feet” variety, is a significant ladder to climb before becoming a legitimate NHL option. Noticeable slow at the high school level is absolutely sluggish for the NHL. He’ll need to make significant gains, but if he does manage to get up to speed, he appears to have the other tools necessary to be a pro player.

On the plus side, he’s surprisingly nimble on his edges for a player his size, and he has a good sense for slipping into the soft areas, and knowing where he needs to be to create offence. 

He just doesn’t get up and down the ice nearly quick enough (yet). Hopefully that’ll change. It’s certainly not impossible, for a kid that’s willing to put in the work. Especially if he’s starting out from fairly raw skating technique, which appears to be the case. Some focused effort in the USHL and then college, hopefully supplemented with some off-season one-on-one skating coach sessions, and maybe Kunz can get himself up to truly pro level skating. But it’s definitely going to take some work, at least from what I’ve seen of him, and heard/read from scouts.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Jackson Kunz scoring a very Jackson Kunz goal earlier today (yesterday technically) as his Green Bay Gamblers win 5-0 over fellow Canucks draft pick Jack Malone and the Youngstown Phantoms in USHL action.

Kunz has 16G 9A 25PTS in 31GP.

Leads Green Bay in goalscoring (and continues to be their candidate for the “Cy Young” with that 16-9 scoring ratio).

Currently tied for 8th in goals in the USHL.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Jackson Kunz scoring a very Jackson Kunz goal earlier today (yesterday technically) as his Green Bay Gamblers win 5-0 over fellow Canucks draft pick Jack Malone and the Youngstown Phantoms in USHL action.

Kunz has 16G 9A 25PTS in 31GP.

Leads Green Bay in goalscoring (and continues to be their candidate for the “Cy Young” with that 16-9 scoring ratio).

Currently tied for 8th in goals in the USHL.

Wasn't sold on Kunz when he got drafted, he's proving me wrong. Looks like our prospect pool just got a bit deeper. Impressive what he's doing in the USHL

• Cheers 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2021 at 12:31 PM, Kootenay Gold said:

I think he is going to be a very interesting prospect to follow over the next couple of years. He certainly has the size to be effective as an NHL'er but it remains to be seen if he has the skating and quick decision making.

On 5/5/2021 at 8:40 PM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I wonder where he fits in on the North Dakota forward depth chart.  They have four forwards graduating and one who got signed by Ottawa (Shane Pinto).  

Seems like Kunz should have a pretty straight forward path to maybe sliding in on the 3rd line to start.