The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Troy 'Tony' Stecher Not Qualified

awalk

15 minutes ago, Provost said:

If we miss out on Tanev too, it will be a tough road to replace the right side.

For me, it is who you think you can win with.  Qualify Virtanen and don't qualify Stecher... both local kids, one has had a poor work ethic for years and the other one would chew through a wall to win.  Both have scary arb cases.  

I reverse who I qualify out of those two, or more likely I trade Virtanen before it comes to that.

This is a function of bad cap management, I am sure Stecher signs if you give him some term with a 3 year, $2.5 million AAV deal.  If you can't afford that, then it is the fault of the wasted money everywhere else.

Ya, and Megna was better than the Sedins combined. 

1 minute ago, Moose Nuckle said:

Ya, and Megna was better than the Sedins combined. 

Have you ever provided any actual content in your posts, or is it just trolling idiotic remarks?

PS.  That was a rhetorical question,we all know the answer to it.

He's a good quality teammate that will be missed in the locker room, I like him as a bottom pairing and it'll be sad if he can't get a deal gone with Vancouver.  He has value unlike the overpriced 4th liners that are eating up all the cap space. 

9 minutes ago, Provost said:

Have you ever provided any actual content in your posts, or is it just trolling idiotic remarks?

PS.  That was a rhetorical question,we all know the answer to it.

Just doing my job calling out terrible insights and using their exact same logic against them.

You just don't realize I'm saying exactly what you said back to you. 

I have seen only hate for certain players come from you. I guess that's considered "actual content".

Edited by Moose Nuckle
  • Like 1

The biggest issue is the flat cap. If we weren't dealing with the possibility of arbitration, I'm pretty sure we could have found another team to take him.

In the NHL for the next 2 years, your 3rd pairing D are probably capped around 1 - 1.5 million, and we can sign someone easily in that range, or give guys like Chatfield and OJ a chance to balance our defensive pairings.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Moose Nuckle said:

Just doing my job calling out terrible insights and using their exact same logic against them.

You just don't realize I'm saying exactly what you said back to you. 

Anyone who uses the Sedins as a comparison to Virtanen in terms of work ethic doesn't warrant taking seriously... even remotely.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Moose Nuckle said:

You compared a defenseman to a forward. 

OK, sorry... I gave you too much credit.  Your point is even dumber now.

Comparing work ethic and will to win between players can't happen if they play different positions. 

Got it. 

"Great point"...

I sure feel "called out" for my bad take on that.

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

Don't quote that dumb **** as if he knows anything.

Why would the Canucks trade Stecher?  We needed him.  This guys flapping his lips without seeing the end result either.  For all we know Benning is just going to offer him a lower salary,  but numwits like this guy in the media do nothing but criticize.

I should put "theFerrariGuy" in my twitter handle despite the fact I've never owned nor repaired a Ferrari, and then rave about its' reliability and cheap cost of ownership.

It would be about the same thing.

Word from Dhaliwal who spoke with his camp is that there was no attempt to renegotiate his deal for lower.  He wasn't given an offer at all even at a lower numbers.

If that is true, itis ridiculous, he a a player that you could do well by offering a little term for a reduced cap hit.

Edited by Provost

Well this makes me sad. Don't know what to say. Stecher does play his heart out. But on the other hand, him being a #4, #5 guy for us on a 3mil plus contract, with his size. Doesn't seem like a good fit. 

Edited by Drakrami

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

OK, sorry... I gave you too much credit.  Your point is even dumber now.

Comparing work ethic and will to win between players can't happen if they play different positions. 

Got it. 

"Great point"...

I sure feel "called out" for my bad take on that.

You think Stecher is better than Virtanen.

Megna thought he was better than the Sedins.

You are as intelligent as Megna. Congrats.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2

6 minutes ago, Screw said:

Man... the cap sucks sometimes.

Only sucks when there's multopmr bottom 6 players or bottom pairing defenseman getting paid between $3M-$6M, which Vancouver has in spades. Guys like Stetcher and Toffoli are casualties of this.

And perhaps Tanev and Markstrom, as well.

Edited by Monty

38 minutes ago, apollo said:

Damn that makes me sad... I'm very hopeful they still get a deal done.

One or two year at ~1.5mill perhaps?

There are probably hundreds of kids who never made it who have similar photos. It does suck that Troy might not be coming back though.