The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks extend qualifying offers to 7 players

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Oh I hear you. I'm thinking that Benning might offer the spot to someone internally first like Juolevi, Rafferty, or Chatfield, who would save the team cap space. Olli's performance in the playoffs, however brief, bodes well for him getting the spot, in my humble opinion.

If we do the OEL trade, we'll see more OJ, Rafferty etc...

If we don't, I think he'll go get the best puck mover that he can find and I think he likes Barrie.

Glad OEL made a deadline of Friday, I can't see it working for the Canucks to let it go longer than that.

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

C'mon Tony, 4 years 10 mil. 

Hmmm I think they're probably trying to come in at 2.0 mil/year, otherwise they would've qualified him at 2.5 mil/year.  

9 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

If we do the OEL trade, we'll see more OJ, Rafferty etc...

If we don't, I think he'll go get the best puck mover that he can find and I think he likes Barrie.

Glad OEL made a deadline of Friday, I can't see it working for the Canucks to let it go longer than that.

I am seriously hoping that they do NOT make that trade.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Going to be an interesting Free agency period. My guess is, if we don't trade for OEL, we will likely sign Tyson Barrie this coming weekend as an upgrade to Stecher.

So, you're saying there goes any hope of winning the Jennings...

regards,  G.

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Beary Sweet said:

Gotta get Stecher signed. But probably not one of Benning's top priorities right now. Still Marky, Tanev and Toffoli to re-sign. Going to be a interesting couple days ahead

How can we say that we need to badly upgrade our D and then expect to have both Stetcher and Tanev back? Where would an upgrade come?

• Huggy Bear 1

57 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'm thinking that Benning might offer the spot to someone internally first like Juolevi, Rafferty, or Chatfield

Benning has said from day one that roster spots are not 'offered' they are earned.   But we'll see if the new 'covid-cap' NHL changes things?  Like you mentioned, GM's all about finding affordable options these days it seems. 

• Cheers 1

As much as it sucks to lose Stecher for nothing, at the end of the day he's a 3rd pairing D-man on a contender. It doesn't make sense to lock up the little cap space we have on him when we (seemingly) have other, hotter irons in the fire.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I can't see how Barrie is that much of an upgrade. He's older, less physical, and will probably be more expensive.

Busts his ass every time he’s on the ice. Unlike a certain power forward. Cough, Cough. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Going to be an interesting Free agency period. My guess is, if we don't trade for OEL, we will likely sign Tyson Barrie this coming weekend as an upgrade to Stecher.

if we don't get OEL i want us go after Cernak.