Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[Report] Canucks extend qualifying offers to 7 players

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

if we don't get OEL i want us go after Cernak. 

So, give Tampa our next season first round pick? I see a pattern forming........

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, tas said:

aren't they allegedly willing to trade stamkos in the name of signing the likes of cernak?

lets test it and offer sheet Cernak :bigblush:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

So, give Tampa our next season first round pick? I see a pattern forming........

 

It would be a 2nd... And yah THAT would work within management's overall plan.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

Tough to see Stecher not get qualified. But, if we get OEL and promote Juolevi, there may not be room for him.

I'm connecting dots and speculating but not qualifying Stecher could mean that the OEL deal has become a long shot.

 

Because if OEL is in, Tanev is out because of the math.  If Tanev and Stecher are out, then Benning would have to find 2 right handers.  You may get away with Rafferty or Benn on the 3rd pair but neither can play top 4.  Then you're screwed trying to find a top 4 defensive RHD.  If Stecher was still around, you could make do with him partnering with OEL for a year.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Crabcakes said:
1 hour ago, NaveJoseph said:

 

I'm connecting dots and speculating but not qualifying Stecher could mean that the OEL deal has become a long shot.

OEL or Hughes could play the right side if Benning decided OEL was his preference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

OEL or Hughes could play the right side if Benning decided OEL was his preference.

I don't see OEL and Hughes paired together if that's what you're implying.  They're both offensive types and PP QB's.

 

But ya, that's an option

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Crabcakes said:

I don't see OEL and Hughes paired together if that's what you're implying.  They're both offensive types and PP QB's.

 

But ya, that's an option

 

 

Nah probably one of them plays with Edler if we go that route.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guess Benning wants to try Juolevi, Rafferty, Benn, and Fantenberg all to fight for both bottom pairing spots. Top two win the jobs. 

  • Hydration 2
  • Vintage 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Guess Benning wants to try Juolevi, Rafferty, Benn, and Fantenberg all to fight for both bottom pairing spots. Top two win the jobs. 

Problem with that is just because 2 of them will win the job, doesn't mean they'll do a good job. 

 

I hope Benning has something more concrete and reliable in mind, unless they're completely convinced the two kids are ready for regular roles on a good team (which isn't always a sound plan - remember McCann and Virtanen).

Edited by kanucks25

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Guess Benning wants to try Juolevi, Rafferty, Benn, and Fantenberg all to fight for both bottom pairing spots. Top two win the jobs. 

They have to re-sign Fantenberg first in order to do that.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

I don't see OEL and Hughes paired together if that's what you're implying.  They're both offensive types and PP QB's.

Agreed. OEL would make us deeper and has that offensive flair that nobody on our current D has outside of Hughes who is unbelievably dynamic. I guess Myers would be our 2nd most dangerous offensive threat from D, so adding OEL would be nice. Although the contract is a doozy. Can't see how this happens without Ericsson going back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Guess Benning wants to try Juolevi, Rafferty, Benn, and Fantenberg all to fight for both bottom pairing spots. Top two win the jobs. 

Nice....Brisebois needs to be thrown into the mix as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's holding up Bailey, Brisebois and Chatfield resigning? It's not as though they have many options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Googlie said:

What's holding up Bailey, Brisebois and Chatfield resigning? It's not as though they have many options.

they might be considering playing in Europe. Its also priorities, they're pretty far down the line and their rights are locked up anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

they might be considering playing in Europe. Its also priorities, they're pretty far down the line and their rights are locked up anyway. 

But when the offer is made, Bennings role is finished - no?  They just have to put pen to paper.  What is there for the agent to negotiate - beer money?  Or are they asking for more than the qualifying minimum? Not much leverage I would guess.

 

And dont they need our approval to play for a European team?

Edited by Googlie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Googlie said:

But when the offer is made, Bennings role is finished - no?  They just have to put pen to paper.  What is there for the agent to negotiate - beer money?  Or are they asking for more than the qualifying minimum? Not much leverage I would guess.

thats why I suggested Europe, thats an option for them if they don't accept the QO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I assume that Goldy and Boucher needed our approval cos they were still under contract.  The 3 amigos aren't, although we own their rights.  Maybe that's a difference?  Similar to Tram who bolted to the KHL rather than sign after his ELC

 

 

Edited by Googlie
  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Googlie said:

But when the offer is made, Bennings role is finished - no?  They just have to put pen to paper.  What is there for the agent to negotiate - beer money?  Or are they asking for more than the qualifying minimum? Not much leverage I would guess.

 

And dont they need our approval to play for a European team?

Qualifying offer lapse after a certain time unless the team asks for an extension.  Teams still keep the player's rights but instead have to negotiate a contract.  This year qualifying offers automatically expired on 18 October (unless teams asked for an extension).  

 

ELCs are two-way contracts and the AHL salary on an ELC can't exceed 70K.  Players like Brisebois might be looking to get a bit more in the AHL.  They might also be looking to negotiate a minimum income for the season.

 

They would need approval if they are under contract - it's then a loan.  Otherwise it's like a Tryamkin situation where they just decided to leave - the Canucks would retain their rights as they've been qualified.  

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, mll said:

Qualifying offer lapse after a certain time unless the team asks for an extension.  Teams still keep the player's rights but instead have to negotiate a contract.  This year qualifying offers automatically expired on 18 October (unless teams asked for an extension).  

 

ELCs are two-way contracts and the AHL salary on an ELC can't exceed 70K.  Players like Brisebois might be looking to get a bit more in the AHL.  They might also be looking to negotiate a minimum income for the season.

 

They would need approval if they are under contract - it's then a loan.  Otherwise it's like a Tryamkin situation where they just decided to leave - the Canucks would retain their rights as they've been qualified.  

 

I didn't realize the QOs had expired. 

 

I could see Breezy getting a bit more on his 2 way deal, maybe 200k? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.