The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jacob Truscott | D

GoldenAlien

Season over for Truscott and Michigan. Truscott and Hughes both had chances to put Michigan into the Championship game and blew it.

Worst officiating I have ever seen in a long time. three blatant missed calls in overtime: a slash causing injury, a slewfoot, and an offiside leading to the winning goal. Zero penalties called in 80 minutes of hockey against Denver and 3 on Michigan (2 of them very questionable).

Probably not the right forum to say all of this but just have to vent my frustration. Single-elimination hockey is so stupid.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Grape said:

Season over for Truscott and Michigan. Truscott and Hughes both had chances to put Michigan into the Championship game and blew it.

Worst officiating I have ever seen in a long time. three blatant missed calls in overtime: a slash causing injury, a slewfoot, and an offiside leading to the winning goal. Zero penalties called in 80 minutes of hockey against Denver and 3 on Michigan (2 of them very questionable).

Probably not the right forum to say all of this but just have to vent my frustration. Single-elimination hockey is so stupid.

Based on your comments of the quality, or lack thereof, of the officiating I would suggest you are indeed on the right forum.

It’s a cottage industry here. 

27 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Based on your comments of the quality, or lack thereof, of the officiating I would suggest you are indeed on the right forum.

It’s a cottage industry here. 

The thing that brings officiating into disrepute is inconsistency. Not so much from official to official, but the same official being inconsistent in the same game. One of the primary causes of that inconsistency is discretion - when there is no discretion, the officiating becomes far less inconsistent. 

It used to be that if you had a foot in the blue, the goal was disallowed... every time. Right up until Brett Hull scored an overtime  playoff goal while clearly in the crease and the team owner broke into the room screaming, where off ice officials were reviewing the goal and intimidated the officials into calling it a good goal. After New Jersey turned hockey into an imprisonment sport where the a Devils would lock a guy up on the face off and make the opponent drag them around the ice for the rest of the game, the fans stayed away in droves. The rink became a great place to work on your insomnia. Then they started calling everything - until the owners that couldn’t r maybe wouldn’t pay to get talent complained and we went back to ‘discretion’.

So, now there we have discretion again, and your goalie gets run over multiple times a game and it sometimes gets called, but it is darned near impossible to guess when that will be, because... discretion.

• 1 month later...
On 3/31/2022 at 2:39 PM, Smashian Kassian said:

As much as there's no blue chip D prospect, we have a few nice projects. Truscott, Jurmo, Woo, Gabrielsson, Myrenberg.

I mean, someone out of that group of defensive prospects has to emerge to become a legitimate NHL defenseman right? 

Woo is still young, but he’s got to start making some strides defensively. Jurmo was always a project. 

Haven’t heard much about Gabrielsson, or Myenberg. 

Is Truscott eligible for the AHL next season?

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I mean, someone out of that group of defensive prospects has to emerge to become a legitimate NHL defenseman right? 

Woo is still young, but he’s got to start making some strides defensively. Jurmo was always a project. 

Haven’t heard much about Gabrielsson, or Myenberg. 

Is Truscott eligible for the AHL next season?

What about the kid in Prince George?

Canucks prospect Jacob Truscott on being Luke Hughes’ defence partner and playing a bigger role with Michigan next season:

The Vancouver Canucks selected 6’1″ defenceman Jacob Truscott in the fifth round of the 2020 NHL Entry Draft. He is a two-way defenceman who can play both sides on the backend and is quickly learning how to grow his game and be known as a defenceman who can be trusted in all areas and all situations.

Truscott showed good puck-possession skills in his draft season when he played at the United States National Team Development Program. When he arrived at the University of Michigan in the fall of 2020, Truscott had to change some of his game so that he could immediately draw into the Wolverines’ lineup. Truscott worked at becoming a trusted penalty killer and that helped earn him more time in his second year with Michigan.

“I thought I had more opportunity than I did in my first year with Michigan,” said Truscott. “Every year, I want to get better and accept a bigger role with this team and I think that’s something I did well this year. I was able to get more opportunities, play top minutes, and get on the penalty kill. It’s very competitive back there and I thought everything turned out well. My main goal is to get better and continue to get better every year. I think I did a good job of that this year and was able to focus on my defensive game. I feel I made strides as a penalty killer. When [Owen] Power and [Luke] Hughes were gone for the Olympics and World Juniors, it allowed me to step up to a role on the power play — it was nice to get some touches there. Overall, I’m feeling pretty confident going into next season.”

As a part of a loaded NCAA team, Truscott found a spot alongside Quinn Hughes’ brother Luke for a majority of the season. Truscott learned to be accountable defensively as Luke Hughes was aggressive with his pinches into the offensive zone and needs to play with a partner who can be trusted to be defensively responsible and make a good first pass out of the defensive zone.

Luke Hughes led all defencemen for scoring in the NCAA and was electric to watch in his freshman season. A lot of those rushes up the ice required Truscott to stay back more than he has in the past but it forced him to play a more defensive role than he ever has in his young hockey career.

“I wanted to keep improving on my defensive game and I was able to make a lot of big strides,” said Truscott when asked about adjusting his game to play with Luke Hughes this past season. “Whether it be positioning, being more physical or having a good stick — I think I got a lot better at those little things that add up in the defensive zone. I was pretty confident stepping on the ice every time and being reliable defensively and playing with Luke was a good role for me this year. He’s a really offensive defenseman, so I was there for him and helped him out by being there for him defensively. It was good for me to step in that role, and now, going into next session, hopefully, I’ll add some more offence.”

Truscott describes himself as a two-way defenceman who really learned how to make improvements in the defensive zone this past season.

His play at the USNTDP showed that there is offensive upside to his game but has only scored three goals in his two-year NCAA career. Truscott finished this season with two goals and 15 assists, which was good enough for 70th in the NCAA for scoring from a defenceman. Truscott has shown a strong shot at times in his NCAA career but caught a few posts and crossbars in hist first two seasons.

After taking a big step in his defensive play this season, Truscott’s goal for 2022-23 is to continue to grow his defensive game but take a big step in his offensive output. Truscott is a good passer from the defence and it was the part of his game that we identified as the most exciting part of his game after diving into the tape after the Canucks drafted him in 2020.

I feel my defensive game got to a pretty good spot this season,” said Truscott. “Obviously, I still need to work on a lot of things in the defensive zone but at the end of the day, I want to be a really good two-way defenceman that can move the puck quick. Going into next year, I want to be able to provide more offence and make more plays and set up more scoring chances. After the steps I took defensively, I feel my play in that end will be there and I think I need to focus a little more on having poise with the puck and make better decisions offensively. defensively. Being known as a two-way defenceman with defensive upside is something I really want to strive for — that’s the role I want to play at the next level.”

Before he returns to Michigan for his junior year, Truscott will participate in Canucks development camp at UBC in July. He is very excited about the chance to come to Vancouver, meet a lot of the other draft picks but also see where his skill stacks up against the prospects who are close to playing in the professional ranks. Truscott is expecting a lot of competitive play at the development camp and is looking forward to proving himself to the organization.

Truscott is spending the beginning of his summer taking classes at Michigan to set himself up for an easier semester when hockey is going on. He will be training with the USNTDP before the development camp.

The sources that I talked to around the Michigan scene mentioned that the coaching staff looked to gain trust in Truscott throughout the season. The expectation is that Truscott will be playing with Hughes again next season but will be in a top pairing role with 2021-22 top pairing Owen Power and Nick Blankenburg moving on to pro hockey.

This was a year for Truscott to learn and develop and he wants his play to garnish more attention this year. Truscott will definitely get our attention here at CanucksArmy if he ends up playing on a top pairing with Michigan while being an active contributor on the penalty kill. We’re excited to meet the kid out at UBC this summer and see how his game stacks up against fellow defence prospects like Viktor Persson, Joni Jurmo, Jonathan Myrenberg, and Toni Utunen.

https://canucksarmy.com/2022/05/22/canucks-prospect-jacob-truscott-luke-hughes-defence-role-michigan/

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Canucks prospect Jacob Truscott on being Luke Hughes’ defence partner and playing a bigger role with Michigan next season:

The Vancouver Canucks selected 6’1″ defenceman Jacob Truscott in the fifth round of the 2020 NHL Entry Draft. He is a two-way defenceman who can play both sides on the backend and is quickly learning how to grow his game and be known as a defenceman who can be trusted in all areas and all situations.

Truscott showed good puck-possession skills in his draft season when he played at the United States National Team Development Program. When he arrived at the University of Michigan in the fall of 2020, Truscott had to change some of his game so that he could immediately draw into the Wolverines’ lineup. Truscott worked at becoming a trusted penalty killer and that helped earn him more time in his second year with Michigan.

“I thought I had more opportunity than I did in my first year with Michigan,” said Truscott. “Every year, I want to get better and accept a bigger role with this team and I think that’s something I did well this year. I was able to get more opportunities, play top minutes, and get on the penalty kill. It’s very competitive back there and I thought everything turned out well. My main goal is to get better and continue to get better every year. I think I did a good job of that this year and was able to focus on my defensive game. I feel I made strides as a penalty killer. When [Owen] Power and [Luke] Hughes were gone for the Olympics and World Juniors, it allowed me to step up to a role on the power play — it was nice to get some touches there. Overall, I’m feeling pretty confident going into next season.”

As a part of a loaded NCAA team, Truscott found a spot alongside Quinn Hughes’ brother Luke for a majority of the season. Truscott learned to be accountable defensively as Luke Hughes was aggressive with his pinches into the offensive zone and needs to play with a partner who can be trusted to be defensively responsible and make a good first pass out of the defensive zone.

Luke Hughes led all defencemen for scoring in the NCAA and was electric to watch in his freshman season. A lot of those rushes up the ice required Truscott to stay back more than he has in the past but it forced him to play a more defensive role than he ever has in his young hockey career.

“I wanted to keep improving on my defensive game and I was able to make a lot of big strides,” said Truscott when asked about adjusting his game to play with Luke Hughes this past season. “Whether it be positioning, being more physical or having a good stick — I think I got a lot better at those little things that add up in the defensive zone. I was pretty confident stepping on the ice every time and being reliable defensively and playing with Luke was a good role for me this year. He’s a really offensive defenseman, so I was there for him and helped him out by being there for him defensively. It was good for me to step in that role, and now, going into next session, hopefully, I’ll add some more offence.”

Truscott describes himself as a two-way defenceman who really learned how to make improvements in the defensive zone this past season.

His play at the USNTDP showed that there is offensive upside to his game but has only scored three goals in his two-year NCAA career. Truscott finished this season with two goals and 15 assists, which was good enough for 70th in the NCAA for scoring from a defenceman. Truscott has shown a strong shot at times in his NCAA career but caught a few posts and crossbars in hist first two seasons.

After taking a big step in his defensive play this season, Truscott’s goal for 2022-23 is to continue to grow his defensive game but take a big step in his offensive output. Truscott is a good passer from the defence and it was the part of his game that we identified as the most exciting part of his game after diving into the tape after the Canucks drafted him in 2020.

I feel my defensive game got to a pretty good spot this season,” said Truscott. “Obviously, I still need to work on a lot of things in the defensive zone but at the end of the day, I want to be a really good two-way defenceman that can move the puck quick. Going into next year, I want to be able to provide more offence and make more plays and set up more scoring chances. After the steps I took defensively, I feel my play in that end will be there and I think I need to focus a little more on having poise with the puck and make better decisions offensively. defensively. Being known as a two-way defenceman with defensive upside is something I really want to strive for — that’s the role I want to play at the next level.”

Before he returns to Michigan for his junior year, Truscott will participate in Canucks development camp at UBC in July. He is very excited about the chance to come to Vancouver, meet a lot of the other draft picks but also see where his skill stacks up against the prospects who are close to playing in the professional ranks. Truscott is expecting a lot of competitive play at the development camp and is looking forward to proving himself to the organization.

Truscott is spending the beginning of his summer taking classes at Michigan to set himself up for an easier semester when hockey is going on. He will be training with the USNTDP before the development camp.

The sources that I talked to around the Michigan scene mentioned that the coaching staff looked to gain trust in Truscott throughout the season. The expectation is that Truscott will be playing with Hughes again next season but will be in a top pairing role with 2021-22 top pairing Owen Power and Nick Blankenburg moving on to pro hockey.

This was a year for Truscott to learn and develop and he wants his play to garnish more attention this year. Truscott will definitely get our attention here at CanucksArmy if he ends up playing on a top pairing with Michigan while being an active contributor on the penalty kill. We’re excited to meet the kid out at UBC this summer and see how his game stacks up against fellow defence prospects like Viktor Persson, Joni Jurmo, Jonathan Myrenberg, and Toni Utunen.

https://canucksarmy.com/2022/05/22/canucks-prospect-jacob-truscott-luke-hughes-defence-role-michigan/

I wonder if Truscott could be the longterm piece beside Quinn. I know a lot of people suggest a need for a high end RHD and we dont have that in our system. Wonder if Truscott has potential to be a Rob Scuderi like guy who complemented Letang and Doughty. 

Will be ibterested how he develops in next few years

• Like 1

7 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Maybe he meant Viktor Persson who's playing in Kamloops?  @Boudrias

Ah. Viktor Persson. Boy that guy’s been literally under the radar. Haven’t heard anything about him from Kamloops…

8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Ah. Viktor Persson. Boy that guy’s been literally under the radar. Haven’t heard anything about him from Kamloops…

Yes, that’s the guy. I have read mixed reports. At 20 he can play in Abby next fall if he can make the team. 

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Yes, that’s the guy. I have read mixed reports. At 20 he can play in Abby next fall if he can make the team. 

Let’s hope so. Someone out of all the prospects defensively we have, needs to make the roster even if it’s a bottom pairing role. 

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Let’s hope so. Someone out of all the prospects defensively we have, needs to make the roster even if it’s a bottom pairing role. 

Seems to me that Abottsford is a waste land, It's a rare occasion when they turn a proospect into a genuine NHL caibre player. If you want these collage kids to improve, please leave them in the NCAA 

6 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Seems to me that Abottsford is a waste land, It's a rare occasion when they turn a proospect into a genuine NHL caibre player. If you want these collage kids to improve, please leave them in the NCAA 

I think we need to get more quality prospects too. 

In the past, Abby/Utica has rebuild Markström’s game, developed Demko essentially. 

We’ve had more promise when the farm team was in Manitoba.