The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dmitri Zlodeev | C

16 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Obviously we need Juice to punch all our Russians in the face.

Or Willie to sit them down and go over some Rocky tape and show them how to evolve into the modern Drago...  errr I mean Chris Pronger. 

Lots of contradictory scouting reports of Zlodeyev.  Some say he is physical, some say he tends away from contact, some say he is weak in battles while others contend he is exceptional in that department, another source thinks he is a top six centre playmaker, while others think he is a bottom six energy spark plug.

Seems like not much consensus on what he is, I'm intrigued how he develops.  

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Lots of contradictory scouting reports of Zlodeyev.  Some say he is physical, some say he tends away from contact, some say he is weak in battles while others contend he is exceptional in that department, another source thinks he is a top six centre playmaker, while others think he is a bottom six energy spark plug.

There's a little Nick Bonino in his game for me. Better skater than Bones in his draft year, but similar skill set as a good all round center. He's strong for his size, but not strong for a hockey player. Isn't afraid to initiate contact, but doesn't come out on top of physical battles because of strength. He uses his stick plus body contact to apply pressure and try to win the puck, and or protect it. He uses his tools to their max kinda like Troy Stecher. Competes, pressures, pushes, angles, and wins his battles with will power. 

He's scored pro style goals this year. High tip, rebounds, quick hands off loose pucks, cross ice pass off the rush. Although he is not a + shooter in any one area, it's the maximisation of the skills he does have that give him success. A lot of scouts look for qualities that separate a player from the pack. Zlodeyev doesn't have those as much as he is a high IQ player, who competes hard. He's not a creative genius high IQ though, he is a make the right play for the given situation. Kinda like a chess player. Thinking a couple steps ahead of the play, and making the smart decision to gain an advantage with a simple play. Another player that comes to mind is Brandon Sutter. He helps you win by being effective in the details, playing a system well, and being very coachable. 

1 hour ago, Derp... said:

There's a little Nick Bonino in his game for me. Better skater than Bones in his draft year, but similar skill set as a good all round center. He's strong for his size, but not strong for a hockey player. Isn't afraid to initiate contact, but doesn't come out on top of physical battles because of strength. He uses his stick plus body contact to apply pressure and try to win the puck, and or protect it. He uses his tools to their max kinda like Troy Stecher. Competes, pressures, pushes, angles, and wins his battles with will power. 

He's scored pro style goals this year. High tip, rebounds, quick hands off loose pucks, cross ice pass off the rush. Although he is not a + shooter in any one area, it's the maximisation of the skills he does have that give him success. A lot of scouts look for qualities that separate a player from the pack. Zlodeyev doesn't have those as much as he is a high IQ player, who competes hard. He's not a creative genius high IQ though, he is a make the right play for the given situation. Kinda like a chess player. Thinking a couple steps ahead of the play, and making the smart decision to gain an advantage with a simple play. Another player that comes to mind is Brandon Sutter. He helps you win by being effective in the details, playing a system well, and being very coachable. 

Wonder how he his in faceoffs? Beag's replacement possibly? I really like the depth we have at centre, got this guy and Linus Karlsson simmering nicely on top of the 3 we already have in the big club

2 hours ago, bertuzzi44fan said:

I find it ironic that you imply these guys - that left the Soviet Union (not Russia - I'm guessing you're either a teenager or not particularly interested in history) - that you impicitly question their 'manhood'.    Players like Mogilny, Fedorov...only stayed in the NHL because they couldn't run home tail between their legs?  What an absurd story, wadr.

Bure certainly proved incapable of stepping up to the manhood of the NHL, right?

And the same with the present - are you suggesting that guys like Tryamkin are pansies because they went home to 'mommy'?  Seriously - it sounds like a combination of juvenile and puffed up chest material that is hard to take seriously on any level.

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 2

I don't get the Anti Russia bias in Vancouver?

There's a ton of great Russian players in the NHL right now.

Only the mediocre or aging Russians run back to the KHL. Ask Capitals fans, they aren't complaining about having a Russian heavy lineup right now. 

Nikita left because he didn't want to go to Utica and because the Canucks weren't gonna gift him a Top 4 spot. He didn't want to work and earn his spot, so he took the easy path and went back to his old KHL team -- and he hasn't been lights out since going back. He's been okay. If he wasn't 6'7" -- he wouldn't be on anybody's radars.

And because we drafted Zlodeyev out of the KHL league system, we actually have his rights indefinitely which means we can sign him anytime between now until he retires (or we renounce his rights -- fun fact: DMITRY ZHUKENOV is still in our system despite being a 2015 pick). So there's plenty of time to figure out what type of player he will become.

I like Zlodeyev's intangibles after looking into him and he's someone worth checking in on in the next few years. I think with Podkolzin coming over next year, it's going to be important to have a few Russians in the lineup for him. I expect to see the Canucks draft at least one Russian player every year for the next few years -- it just makes sense -- and Gillis avoiding Russian players was stupid then and is still stupid now -- he allowed a lot of great players in the draft pass by him because of that.

16 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Wonder how he his in faceoffs? Beag's replacement possibly? I really like the depth we have at centre, got this guy and Linus Karlsson simmering nicely on top of the 3 we already have in the big club

Renowned as a good faceoff guy by scouts. I haven't watched a ton of footage, but that was a common thing I heard yesterday.

On 10/8/2020 at 7:41 AM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I´ve got some data on him that might help.

- he is a frequent hitter

- he wins a fair share of challenges on the ice for a forward

- he accumulated fine pass accuracy in the MHL

- he does not shoot or assist on shots from a slot often (explains a bit his fine pass accuracy as he takes more safe passes)

- he recorded a high share of controlled transitions (esp. zone entries) at the last Hlinka Cup

And most importantly and to prove he better be the "steal" of the draft his surname refers to "stealing" directly.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

6th round pick, that’s exactly the time you draft Russians or crazy European less known guys. Trust your scouting, look for gem players that are still available, 6th round is very very slim pickings.

Seem like Canucks did ok, I hope this Russian Kid pans out....he is said to be a better then good skater.

The Russian factor is if he does pan out he may stay in Russia. But who knows with this guy, haven’t talked to him. I don’t speak Russian well.

Edited by HockeyHarry