The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dmitri Zlodeev | C

12 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Sometimes you gotta wonder how a guy like this falls to the 6th round... I'm not suggesting he's a slam-dunk or anything like that, but there's some serious upside here and to say he's on the right track would be an understatement. 

For every one Russian star taken late there’s 50 guys that bust or never come over.

He seems promising but still a long ways to go in his development. I’m definitely excited to see him play in the world juniors though.

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Haha yeah it’s not time to start pencilling him into the roster.  Button’s praise is ridiculous there... and I’m old enough to remember when  Palmu was the next big thing as well.  

Still, some hype is better than the alternative. That can’t be common for 6th rounders, can it? 

Old enough to remember Palmu?   Rad.  So you are what.....10 years old?  Hahaha.
Also, was that shrimp ever the next big thing?   

14 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Sometimes you gotta wonder how a guy like this falls to the 6th round... I'm not suggesting he's a slam-dunk or anything like that, but there's some serious upside here and to say he's on the right track would be an understatement. 

It’s right there in his scouting reports.  
The guy plays like a kitten.  Loses most his bored battles and play scared against the bigger/older guys.   

Also, people take Buttons words too literally.   
He isn’t going to be Patrick Kane, and his realistic upside is nowhere near Elite 1C. 
He was scouted in the 6th round for a reason.    

Seems like a good late round pick up, but much like every 6th round pick, I wouldn’t be holding my breath here 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

21 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

How old do you think people on CDC are? Palmu was drafted like 3 years ago. LOL. My 7 year old niece is old enough to remember that draft.

5 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Old enough to remember Palmu?   Rad.  So you are what.....10 years old?  Hahaha.
Also, was that shrimp ever the next big thing?   

Uhh yeah that’s “the joke” if you could call it that.  Thanks guys. 

...and yes if you poke around the palmu thread he’s had a ton of hype.  Deservedly so at times.

Nothing wrong with getting excited about a prospect but it sure looks like he’s more likely to settle into a nice pro career in Europe  rather than ripping up the NHL.  I thought he was a good example of pumping the breaks on expectations when it comes to long shot late draft picks, even when they’re doing awesome.

1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

Uhh yeah that’s “the joke” if you could call it that.  Thanks guys. 

...and yes if you poke around the palmu thread he’s had a ton of hype.  Deservedly so at times.

Nothing wrong with getting excited about a prospect but it sure looks like he’s more likely to settle into a nice pro career in Europe  rather than ripping up the NHL.  I thought he was a good example of pumping the breaks on expectations when it comes to long shot late draft picks, even when they’re doing awesome.

That's "the joke", you say that as if it's a running gag to say "I was old enough when." But okay pal. Good joke.

42 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

That's "the joke", you say that as if it's a running gag to say "I was old enough when." But okay pal. Good joke.

It’s a common enough line? And, yes, used on a recent example to be silly.  I’m sorry you didn’t understand, took it literally and it hurt you.

• Haha 1

might have a gem, although I'm not one that will hold my breath for 6th rounders.  It's been a while since we developed a full time NHLer out of the 6th round. 

Craig Button is madly in love with this guy.  As someone pointed out earlier, projected to be an elite number 1 centreman, wow a word we can use. 

https://www.tsn.ca/dmitri-zlodeyev-centre-1.1472321

in depth scouting report from Steve.

Steve also have awesome write ups for his content.  He's also likes him a lot.  Had him ranked in the 1st round. 

https://thehockeywriters.com/canucks-prospects-steals-zlodeyev-jurmo-persson/

the hockey-writers think we have a steal and also have high praises for him. 

https://thehockeywriters.com/dmitri-zlodeyev-2020-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

now he did drop to the 6th round, not sure why, maybe the lack of intel?  Button and Steve is madly in love with this guy, Button had him ranked 32nd overall, Steve had him ranked 28th.  

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

6 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

might have a gem, although I'm not one that will hold my breath for 6th rounders.  It's been a while since we developed a full time NHLer out of the 6th round. 

Craig Button is madly in love with this guy.  As someone pointed out earlier, projected to be an elite number 1 centreman, wow a word we can use. 

https://www.tsn.ca/dmitri-zlodeyev-centre-1.1472321

in depth scouting report from Steve.

Steve also have awesome write ups for his content.  He's also likes him a lot.  Had him ranked in the 1st round. 

https://thehockeywriters.com/canucks-prospects-steals-zlodeyev-jurmo-persson/

the hockey-writers think we have a steal and also have high praises for him. 

https://thehockeywriters.com/dmitri-zlodeyev-2020-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

now he did drop to the 6th round, not sure why, maybe the lack of intel?  Button and Steve is madly in love with this guy, Button had him ranked 32nd overall, Steve had him ranked 28th.  

Haha I hope Button is right and he is a cross between Steve Yzerman and Patrick Kane :emot-parrot:, but like you im not going to hold my breath for a six round pick to become an elite #1 center. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel

On 10/24/2020 at 6:34 AM, drummerboy said:

It’s right there in his scouting reports.  
The guy plays like a kitten.  Loses most his bored battles and play scared against the bigger/older guys.   

Also, people take Buttons words too literally.   
He isn’t going to be Patrick Kane, and his realistic upside is nowhere near Elite 1C. 
He was scouted in the 6th round for a reason.    

Seems like a good late round pick up, but much like every 6th round pick, I wouldn’t be holding my breath here 

Really @drummerboy? This scouting report says he's almost like a tiger - and you read "plays like a kitten". :rolleyes:

The comparison is for the style - not the actual player. The upside is for POTENTIAL. If it were 'realistic', you might as well just throw him into the lineup. Way to rewrite what you have read.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Really @drummerboy? This scouting report says he's almost like a tiger - and you read "plays like a kitten". :rolleyes:

The comparison is for the style - not the actual player. The upside is for POTENTIAL. If it were 'realistic', you might as well just throw him into the lineup. Way to rewrite what you have read.

Sure. He’s a tiger.  One that is known by scouts for losing most of his board battles, and needing to have more confidence playing against bigger players.

The Hockey Writers scouting report on him.   
This was the first one that popped up in google.   There are plenty more that say the same.  

While looking at his stats, some people may expect Zlodeyev to be a physical player but he does not use his body like some scouts wish he would. While he has decent size, Zlodeyev does not do well along the boards and is usually outmuscled in a one on one situation. If he can learn to use his body to his advantage, it will certainly become a positive in his game but at this point, it takes away from his overall game down low.

Others said he plays scared of bigger and older players. A bunch have said he plays weak on the boards.  
That doesn’t scream tiger to me at all.  

He is a kid and will probably out grow the timidness, but until he does.....  meow.  

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Sure. He’s a tiger.  One that is known by scouts for losing most of his board battles, and needing to have more confidence playing against bigger players.

The Hockey Writers scouting report on him.   
This was the first one that popped up in google.   There are plenty more that say the same.  

While looking at his stats, some people may expect Zlodeyev to be a physical player but he does not use his body like some scouts wish he would. While he has decent size, Zlodeyev does not do well along the boards and is usually outmuscled in a one on one situation. If he can learn to use his body to his advantage, it will certainly become a positive in his game but at this point, it takes away from his overall game down low.

Others said he plays scared of bigger and older players. A bunch have said he plays weak on the boards.  
That doesn’t scream tiger to me at all.  

He is a kid and will probably out grow the timidness, but until he does.....  meow.  

An 18 year old playing against men was being outmuscled? Shocker. 

From all the reports I’ve seen he isn’t afraid to get his nose dirty. I’ll take that for a skilled player. I don’t expect him to win every board battle at his size, that’s not his game.

37 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

An 18 year old playing against men was being outmuscled? Shocker. 

From all the reports I’ve seen he isn’t afraid to get his nose dirty. I’ll take that for a skilled player. I don’t expect him to win every board battle at his size, that’s not his game.

Like I said, he is a kid and will probably outgrow the timidness. 

BUT

It’s EVERYONES job to win board battles and it has to be everyone’s game to have a winning team.