The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Viktor Persson | D

GoldenAlien

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

Question marks eh? Hmmmm

Yeah I dunno man, it's 4:23 and I'm a pretty baked rn. Ask me again after dinner

It's funny man..just referenced your flora/fauna thread(jokingly), then noticed you were coincidentally giving a big update on new product. Keep up the good work, L2

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, GoldenAlien said:

|   6'2"   |   192 lbs

Shoots | Right

Born | 2001-11-07

Draft | 2020 Round 7 #191 Overall by Vancouver Canucks

1753365889_ScreenShot2020-10-07at6_40_21PM.thumb.png.dee271d5da5ce67890d290cce9a64a6f.png

Ranked #95 by ELITEPROSPECTS.COM
Ranked #231 by FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS
Ranked #42 by TSN/CRAIG BUTTON
Ranked #44 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (EU Skaters)

There is so much more to Persson's game offensively than his point totals would indicate. A big part of his success comes from his abilities as a distributor. He makes good calls on when to join the rush or play with a more passive posture. Persson maintains a high work rate, with active feet and smart skating patterns, ensuring he's always open to receive a pass. -EliteProspects 2020 NHL Draft Guide

From Blazers' GM:

“We are excited to be able to add a player like Viktor to our organization,” said General Manager Matt Bardsley. “He is a mobile defenseman who is willing to lead or join the rush and brings the qualities we look for in a Kamloops Blazers defenseman.”

“He has good offensive upside while providing a steady presence in his own end,” Bardsley continued. “We feel with his age and experience that he will be able to contribute right away.”

From the CHL Import Draft:

“I talked to the coaches and it sounds really good, just how they see the game,” said Persson, who admires the skills of Swedish defenceman John Klingberg, who plays for the Dallas Stars. “They seem to have really good development and focus on the players. Development is No. 1 and I’ve also heard great things about the organization.”

“I’m a big guy, I like to play physical, pretty fast, I would say, and I like to join the offensive rush,” Persson said. “I’m excited to come over and show what I’ve got.”

His quotes sound a lot like Yann Sauve.

3 hours ago, Robert Long said:

So why did he drop so far? 

My guess is that Persson looks like he hasn't really played in any international tournaments outside of Sweden so scouts didn't get to see him against other competition..

The other reason is that we have Gradin and Gradin is the Swedish prospect whisperer.

Edited by GarthButcher5
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GarthButcher5 said:

My guess is that Persson looks like he hasn't really played in any international tournaments outside of Sweden so scouts didn't get to see him against other competition..

The other reason is that we have Gradin and Gradin is the Swedish prospect whisperer.

Really like what I'm reading about this pick , plus being RHD and big. Cool to see that he wants to come to the Dub next year. Could be a steal with Gradin's paw prints all over it

Fantastic pick - seems like a guy who should have gone as high as the second round and has the credentials to support that. His offensive numbers are comparable with a lot of Swedish defence drafted in the top 3 rounds. Given his stats you would expect he must be 5'10 but at 6'2 he has size to boot. 

Marcus Pettersson 18 points in 38 games in his draft year in the J20 SuperElit vs 18 in 26 for Persson and similar frames. Now there is the whole issue of having to play good defense but if he could get a dman of that calibre in the 7th round that would be fantastic. I've really liked our last three 7th round picks. 

Gone are the days of picking guys like Evan Fuller, Mackenze Stewart, Sawyer Hanney - dudes you just know won't even hack it in the ECHL. 

Edited by canucklehead44
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, GarthButcher5 said:

in Gradin we trust, for sure. I do think this draft will have a lot of "steals" in it given how wonky the scouting year was.