The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Viktor Persson | D

GoldenAlien

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Good start to the year for Persson. A good year in the Swedish junior league then hopefully a year on Kamloops in the WHL will bode well for his transition into pro hockey. 

Agreed, happy we selected Persson I wanted us to take him earlier but he kept falling. Was hoping to snag Bertuzzi's son with this pick but maybe we can sign him as an undrafted FA? Or does he still have to get passed in the draft 1 more year still?

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Agreed, happy we selected Persson I wanted us to take him earlier but he kept falling. Was hoping to snag Bertuzzi's son with this pick but maybe we can sign him as an undrafted FA? Or does he still have to get passed in the draft 1 more year still?

It’s tricky with the COVID-19 stuff and all the dates changing, but here’s how it usually works.

Players become undrafted free agents after going through 3 drafts of eligibility and not being picked.

However, undrafted players can be invited to NHL team camps, and there is a short window in which they can be signed, even if they are still draft eligible. They just need to be signed before their next season starts, and IIRC, they need to be invited to the NHL team’s camp, for them to be signed during that window.

This is what we did with Evan McEneny. He had gone undrafted, and was still draft eligible. But we invited him to camp, and signed him on September 12th, 2012, when he was still only 18 years old.

So, in the case of Tag Bertuzzi, I believe he has one more year of draft eligibility, so he’s not an undrafted free agent. What I don’t know is if there’s a delayed window this year, in which he could be signed (similar to McEneny). We don’t know exactly when NHL training camps will be held (but November 17th appears to be the plan). And it looks like the OHL wants to start their 2020-21 season on December 1st. So, it’s possible there could be a signing window for undrafted NHL camp invites sometime in late November, but I’ve seen nothing definitive on this. 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Probably the pick from the 2020 draft I'm most excited about. So far putting up a really good amount of points in the J20 Nationell league and this winter going to a great program in Kamloops. Can't wait to see how he acclimates to the smaller ice but he already plays a physical, WHL style game. Really hope they let some fans in to attendance by the spring so if he comes out east on a road trip I can see him live.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

On 11/3/2020 at 7:38 PM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The games have been cancelled:  "On Thursday, the Swedish Ice Hockey Association and the Finnish Ice Hockey Association jointly decided to cancel Finnkampen in Malmö, as a precautionary measure due to two positive covid tests in the Swedish squad."

• Thanks 1