The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Viktor Persson | D

GoldenAlien

On 3/2/2021 at 10:17 PM, ibesawesomey said:

With the WHL opening up again, do y'all think Persson would come over to play with the Blazers, or stay in Sweden?

Think he will stay in Sweden..He would of come over 3 weeks ago if he was coming....

On 3/3/2021 at 2:43 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes you are only as good as your last shift. The last two shift’s Markstrom played he got pulled out of the net before the 3rd period.  Imagine having to pay a goalie $6 million for another 5 years after he gets pulled his last 2 games?  If I lived in Calgary I would definitely be on the lookout for Flames fans who are walking alone on bridges or near train tracks. 

As for Holtby, hey at least he hasn’t gotten pulled yet. That’s a positive. Maybe if Edler stops giving up the puck in front of of his own net Holtby’s save percentage might improve. 

has Travis ever pulled his goalie

some coaches do and some don't

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I just hope there is not a back out on Abby home games on AHL TV. I plan on seeing some home games live, but I’ll have to think hard on season tickets.

I think they were talking about Kamloops Blazers, not Abby. 

4 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Hopefully they work something out. IIRC Persson is a late birthday and will turn 20 this calendar year, so he’ll fall under CHL overage rules, which makes it a little harder to fit him into a roster.

EDIT: Looking at the Kamloops roster, doesn’t seem like too much of an issue. They currently show 3 players who’d be overagers next season, and two of them appear to be going pro, so should be room for Persson.

(CHL rules state that only 3 “overage” players can dress for a team.)

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Hopefully they work something out. IIRC Persson is a late birthday and will turn 20 this calendar year, so he’ll fall under CHL overage rules, which makes it a little harder to fit him into a roster.

EDIT: Looking at the Kamloops roster, doesn’t seem like too much of an issue. They currently show 3 players who’d be overagers next season, and two of them appear to be going pro, so should be room for Persson.

(CHL rules state that only 3 “overage” players can dress for a team.)

IMO for what it's worth playing the WHL will be the making of Viktor Persson. It put's him in a place where he can succeed

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2021 at 1:58 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Definitely a worthwhile venture. Playing one overager season in the WHL could set him up very nicely for a contract, if he has a successful year. Would allow him to get his feet wet in the North American game, and then move on to an ELC and most likely starting out in Abbotsford.

If things don’t go to plan, he can always head back to Sweden to develop further, and then hopefully earn his ELC a little later. Lots of time left on his draft rights.

But ideally, the WHL year fast tracks him, and he shows he’s worthy of an ELC. Maybe 1-2 additional years cooking in the AHL, and then hopefully he’s ready for the NHL (if not sooner, if things really go well).

I wouldn’t be against him staying in Sweden, as they have a good system and he can develop quite nicely over there, but I do think crossing the pond now might offer him his quickest path to the NHL, if all goes well.

I really like him as a prospect and think he plays a style that could serve him quite well in the pros. His most obvious gifts are on the offensive side, but he also has pretty good size, good mobility, defends very aggressively, has just a little bit of sandpaper to him, and uses his body well in the defensive zone. He has the tools to be an impressive player, if things go well for him, and an overage season in the WHL would gives us a pretty good look at how well his abilities translate to the North American game.

I agree. Much easier for the scouts to keep track of his progress, and helps him get used to the smaller ice surface. Wouldn't be suprised if he plays well over in the dub

• 1 month later...