The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposal, Mikael Granlund UFA

I wonder if this UFA just might take a short term show me what you have contract for say 2-3 years. If you have him as your third line center you are a deep team down the middle and hes only 28 . He can also play wing so you could move him into the top six without any issues.

Edited by garthsbutcher

I think he's the perfect playmaking winger for Pearson and Horvat as they are both drive to the net scoring forwards.  Need a playmaker on that line to make it gel.  Boeser to the top line and Granlund on the second line.  He's not a natural C however that would give us flexibility due to injury.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, mll said:

Granlund is not a centre.  

He broke out as a winger once Yeo was fired and replaced by interim coach Torchetti.  Torchetti moved him to wing and Boudreau kept him there.  

Actually he has played center most of his career and as I said can play both so win win

• Wat 1

22 minutes ago, garthsbutcher said:

I wonder if this UFA just might take a short term show me what you have contract for say 2-3 years. If you have him as your third line center you are a deep team down the middle and hes only 28 . He can also play wing so you could move him into the top six without any issues.

Let's not be stuck with another Baerstchi when we have to extend EP and QH.  It would be a 1 year show me what you have deal for me.  Could be interesting for him also, then he can go back to UFA if he has a decent year and get his long-term deal.  Too risky for my taste even for only 2/3 years, unless AAV is ridiculously low.

4 minutes ago, garthsbutcher said:

Actually he has played center most of his career and as I said can play both so win win

Not sure where you're getting that info (or the spelling of his name), but Granlund has certainly played the majority of his career at wing.

17 minutes ago, garthsbutcher said:

Not since 2016 when Yeo got fired.  He was a winger under Boudreau with initially Koivu as his C then Staal.  In Nashville he played wing too.  He broke out as a winger and was mediocre at C.  

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 2

He has 31 teams to choose to sign with. You are looking at at least 3 million per year. With so many unknown for us... OEL, Tanev, Markstrom, Toffoli, Virtanen, Gaudette. I am not sure we have the luxury to be thinking of signing someone new. Unless we are giving up on the majority of the names we have listed above, sure. 

27 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

We need guys who kick it up a notch in playoffs. Granlund, does not.

9-15-24 in 49 career playoff games (.49 ppg) is pretty decent production. I’d be interested in signing Granlund as well. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Pears said:

9-15-24 in 49 career playoff games (.49 ppg) is pretty decent production. I’d be interested in signing Granlund as well. 

Almost as many goals as Horvat scored this year.   Nah.   Why?  Might as well play the kids/new guys and see what we have.   He reminds me of Gagne...or Granlund for that matter. 

Granlund is like Petey, plays better at center but doesn't really take faceoffs? He's listed as Center on hockey reference and they're usually pretty good about that kind of thing. It makes sense he wasn't used at center in Nashville given their center depth. But he took a good amount of faceoffs for Minnie the season he got traded. The two years prior not so much. I dunno. All I know is if he can play RW he could maybe fit with Bo and Pearson. But I'd rather just stick Leivo back there or let up on Virtanen's leash and try him with Miller/Petey long term and play Boeser with Horvat and Pearson.

9 hours ago, garthsbutcher said:

bad idea, he has not been the same player last few years and would end up being a progress stopper for Hoglander and Podkolzn before that contract is up

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Granlund is like Petey, plays better at center but doesn't really take faceoffs? He's listed as Center on hockey reference and they're usually pretty good about that kind of thing. It makes sense he wasn't used at center in Nashville given their center depth. But he took a good amount of faceoffs for Minnie the season he got traded. The two years prior not so much. I dunno. All I know is if he can play RW he could maybe fit with Bo and Pearson. But I'd rather just stick Leivo back there or let up on Virtanen's leash and try him with Miller/Petey long term and play Boeser with Horvat and Pearson.

Not the same situation as Pettersson.  He was moved to wing under Torchetti back in Spring 2016.  He broke out on a line with Koivu as his C.  Later he also played on a line with Staal as his C.  He took more face-offs the year he was traded because Koivu suffered an injury that kept him out long term and with their lack of C-depth he had to be moved back to C.  He's a winger though.