The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Trade) stastny to WPG

Squamfan

Statsny doesn't have trade protection, VGK needs to shed salary, and apparently Winnipeg was really disappointed when Stastny didn't re-sign with them. I see this going down tomorrow. Makes a world of sense for both teams. Don't know how Stastny will personally react but it could be a win/win for Winnipeg and VGK.

9 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

He’d have his opportunity there, but that is a sinking ship and I wouldn’t want to be tied to it. 

The Peg is in real trouble. 

Why do you think they're a sinking ship? Just curious. I mean Laine is most likely going to get traded, but if they improve that Defense they're a legitimate threat in the west. 

10 minutes ago, KKnight said:

Why do you think they're a sinking ship? Just curious. I mean Laine is most likely going to get traded, but if they improve that Defense they're a legitimate threat in the west. 

Hamonic is basically a lock to sign there due to family reasons.  Bringing in a legit 2nd line center might also help with the Laine situation.

Winnipeg doesn't have that much money available.  They have 11 mil free but they've got Jack Roslovic and Sami Niku as very important RFAs they must resign.  They'll need a total of 9 more skaters for that money.  The only variable is Brian Little and whether or not he goes on LTIR, but I'm not sure exactly how that would work.  

Either way, they would be in trouble if they took on Stastny's entire salary.  Vegas is in a tough spot too....  makes me feel slightly better as a Canucks fan :) 

Just now, Coconuts said:

Vegas trying to clear space to run at Petro?

They need to sign Nosek, who got qualified, and one more d-man to have a complete roster....  and they're 2.7 million over the cap....  I would be shocked if they get Pietroangelo.  They'll have to get rid of MAF or Stastny just to be cap compliant.  

31 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Makes sense since Glass should be able to handle the 2nd line C role.

If they can dump Fleury too they'll have a chance 

31 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

They need to sign Nosek, who got qualified, and one more d-man to have a complete roster....  and they're 2.7 million over the cap....  I would be shocked if they get Pietroangelo.  They'll have to get rid of MAF or Stastny just to be cap compliant.  

If they can move both?

I'm hoping he goes elsewhere, preferably not in our division if it ain't with us 

32 minutes ago, KKnight said:

Yes, on paper and on a good day, they are a threat, I agree. I think they are in for a serious decline unless they can pull of some interesting trades. I don’t mean that they are all 36 years old, that’s not it. These are guys who’ve played a lot of hard hockey and it’s catching up to the main minute munchers/core. Their best days are probably behind them, but we can imagine them having another year, maybe two left out of some of their main guys. 

Their decline will be death by a thousand cuts, if not just a slow march into oblivion.

55 can’t stay healthy. that’s a big deal. 

Wheeler and Little and other core pieces are in the declining stage of their careers. 

They have some quality youth, most of which isn’t even all that young anymore, but they are mainly complementary pieces. Nobody will scoff at having Ehlers or Laine, for instance, but this is a team which heavily relies on a few parts that are in decline and have streaky players to support those. 

Big Buff could come back, but at this point, he, like the rest of the core, is getting older or more injury prone, but a new core isn’t in the wings. The net position is similar in that they have a lot of miles on their #1 already. 

Winnipeg reminds me of where Calgary was with an aging Iggy and Kipper. Winnipeg has some tough decisions to make or risk aging out their core. On paper though, they look fine. Buyer beware. In this case, Stastny! 

2 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Yes, on paper and on a good day, they are a threat, I agree. I think they are in for a serious decline unless they can pull of some interesting trades. I don’t mean that they are all 36 years old, that’s not it. These are guys who’ve played a lot of hard hockey and it’s catching up to the main minute munchers/core. Their best days are probably behind them, but we can imagine them having another year, maybe two left out of some of their main guys. 

Their decline will be death by a thousand cuts, if not just a slow march into oblivion.

Wheeler and Little and other core pieces are in the declining stage of their careers. 

They have some quality youth, most of which isn’t even all that young anymore, but they are mainly complementary pieces. Nobody will scoff at having Ehlers or Laine, for instance, but this is a team which heavily relies on a few parts that are in decline and have streaky players to support those. 

Big Buff could come back, but at this point, he, like the rest of the core, is getting older or more injury prone, but a new core isn’t in the wings. The net position is similar in that they have a lot of miles on their #1 already. 

Winnipeg reminds me of where Calgary was with an aging Iggy and Kipper. Winnipeg has some tough decisions to make or risk aging out their core. On paper though, they look fine. Buyer beware. In this case, Stastny! 

Agreed about trades. Wheeler is a special case though, that guy is a freak of nature. Little? That guys career is most likely finito. If they want to make any noise, they better strike soon. 

Just now, KKnight said:

Agreed about trades. Wheeler is a special case though, that guy is a freak of nature. Little? That guys career is most likely finito. If they want to make any noise, they better strike soon. 

I’ve been hoping for a trade to land us Lowry for a long time. 

I have no idea what they’d need back, especially giving up a huge personality in their locker room. 

The Jets have played a throwback style that I’ve enjoyed for as long as they’ve been doing so. The Canucks finally have some of that in theirs now. All is well in my hockey-universe again. :)

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

He’d have his opportunity there, but that is a sinking ship and I wouldn’t want to be tied to it. 

The Peg is in real trouble. 

lol, they played competitively last season with almost 0 defensemen. They have Schefiele (27 years old), Laine, Ehlers, Conner. And they just made a big steal at the draft Perfetti at #10. 

Really should stop posting without using your brain. 

12 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Little's career might be over.  An August article revealed that scans still showed damage to his brain and it's unclear if it will heal.  

If Byfuglien returns it's probably only for his hometown of Minnesota.  He met with them recently but has no interest in returning to the game for now. His agent thinks it's unlikely that he plays again.  

They went for the slow and patient rebuild and even agreed to take a step back to allow time for prospects to develop, but the salary cap and UFA / RFAs caught up to them.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I’ve been hoping for a trade to land us Lowry for a long time. 

I have no idea what they’d need back, especially giving up a huge personality in their locker room. 

The Jets have played a throwback style that I’ve enjoyed for as long as they’ve been doing so. The Canucks finally have some of that in theirs now. All is well in my hockey-universe again. :)

Lowry is one of the very few that actually poses a challenge for Reaves. I've wanted him for awhile as well. 

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

lol, they played competitively last season with almost 0 defensemen. They have Schefiele (27 years old), Laine, Ehlers, Conner. And they just made a big steal at the draft Perfetti at #10. 

Really should stop posting without using your brain. 

Yawn