The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Trade) stastny to WPG

Squamfan

6 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Yes, on paper and on a good day, they are a threat, I agree. I think they are in for a serious decline unless they can pull of some interesting trades. I don’t mean that they are all 36 years old, that’s not it. These are guys who’ve played a lot of hard hockey and it’s catching up to the main minute munchers/core. Their best days are probably behind them, but we can imagine them having another year, maybe two left out of some of their main guys. 

Their decline will be death by a thousand cuts, if not just a slow march into oblivion.

55 can’t stay healthy. that’s a big deal. 

Wheeler and Little and other core pieces are in the declining stage of their careers. 

They have some quality youth, most of which isn’t even all that young anymore, but they are mainly complementary pieces. Nobody will scoff at having Ehlers or Laine, for instance, but this is a team which heavily relies on a few parts that are in decline and have streaky players to support those. 

Big Buff could come back, but at this point, he, like the rest of the core, is getting older or more injury prone, but a new core isn’t in the wings. The net position is similar in that they have a lot of miles on their #1 already. 

Winnipeg reminds me of where Calgary was with an aging Iggy and Kipper. Winnipeg has some tough decisions to make or risk aging out their core. On paper though, they look fine. Buyer beware. In this case, Stastny! 

I don't think that's a very good analogy.

I recall various times looking at Calgary's prospect pool as Iggy and Kipper were in decline - and it was abysmal.  I could dredge up one of those posts, but they had literally next to nothing under 25 in their system.

Winnipeg on the other hand - look at their top 10 scorers....23, 26, 21, 23, 24, 24, 23, 25, 26....one player over age 26 - and Wheeler remains a beast.

Connor, Scheifele, Laine, Morrisey, Pionk.

Yes, they took a hit to the entire right side of their blueline last offseason - but they are in very healthy cap shape, they have lots of youth....they are closer to being right back the thick of things with a solid RHD addition than they are of Flaming out imo.

1 minute ago, rekker said:

Vegas center depth is terrible. 

Per Seravalli moving Fleury has been put on the side-burner - his contract + his limited no trade clause making it challenging to move him.  They are now looking at other ways to clear cap.  Nate Schmidt and Martinez could possibly also be moved based on the return.  

Just now, mll said:

Per Seravalli moving Fleury has been put on the side-burner - his contract + his limited no trade clause making it challenging to move him.  They are now looking at other ways to clear cap.  Nate Schmidt and Martinez could possibly also be moved based on the return.  

Good to see the club having cap issues. They had it made with a clean slate and now look like most teams with issues. Weak in some positions, contracts they need to move. 

4th round pick is pretty cheap for a 20, 20+ center that is also a high end faceoff guy....

age and 6.5 cap hit, but still - a quality player.

market prices to move cap seem to be reducing the majority of players to relative neutral trade value...

1 minute ago, Robert Long said:

can Pietrangeo take face offs? Vegas still needs to trade another player to land AP and bring in another C which they need to do. 

I know. Why do they need AP. I thought their center depth looked horrible in the playoffs and their shooting accuracy as well. I hope they sign AP as it makes no sense to me. Unless they sign AP and trade from D depth.

Just now, Robert Long said:

can Pietrangeo take face offs? Vegas still needs to trade another player to land AP and bring in another C which they need to do. 

They have Cody Glass who didn't play in the post-season.  The 3Cs left from the post-season + Glass could be their Cs for next season.   They just don't have a lot of cap and Pietrangelo is going to use up most of what they can create.

15 minutes ago, mll said:

They have Cody Glass who didn't play in the post-season.  The 3Cs left from the post-season + Glass could be their Cs for next season.   They just don't have a lot of cap and Pietrangelo is going to use up most of what they can create.

he's a kid not named Petey... not sure he's really ready for a 2C role. Definitely not ready for a defensive matchup role. 

17 minutes ago, rekker said:

I know. Why do they need AP. I thought their center depth looked horrible in the playoffs and their shooting accuracy as well. I hope they sign AP as it makes no sense to me. Unless they sign AP and trade from D depth.

maybe a C deal around Schmidt? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Robert Long said:

he's a kid not named Petey... not sure he's really ready for a 2C role. Definitely not ready for a defensive matchup role. 

maybe a C deal around Schmidt? 

Not sure they have much left to pay a true C2 if they can get Pietrangelo.