The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Lopsided Deals from Covid-Times

With the uncertain economy, no secret some teams must be wanting to axe future $$$ commitments. I'd imagine the 'sunbelt' types probably can't count on their less passionate fanbases, to maintain interest in their respective NHL franchises. They'll lean heavily on the rev sharing scam, which may turn to a trickle...

We've already seen some deals where decent players are dropped for middling picks. OEL to Van, should wind up as a prime example.

Q- What's the most improbable(based from yr's past), imbalanced deal you can imagine going down? Will the beneficiary be a Cdn franchise, with more supportive fanbases still willing to spend on their local squads?

I could see a deal like this occurring:

Nashville: Duchene & Scissons

Habs: Drouin & Tatar

^The AAV is similar(combined players; term is much longer on Nash pkg)

In this example, Bergevin gets farther removed from his Drouin/Serg gaffe. Also Habs fully load up at C, adding more size to their fwd core. Scissons' oft-cited fine contract offsets the costly, long term Duchene-commitment.

Poile makes such a sacrifice to acknowledge his gamble on loading costly C's has backfired(RyJo, Turris, Duch). He could flip Tatar for a pick at TDL, & significantly cut $ commitments over a long term. He'll still walk the plank soon, but this might appease ownership, somewhat.

^Above is mostly a pattern-deal to illustrate. In the days/wks to come, am predicting we'll see some deals that don't add up(player values)..but are motivated by a less cash-in, ca$h-out justification.

• Like 1

Tampa is in prime position to get taken advantage of... Killorn may be had cheap, Johnson isn't a bad option either with $1m retained... Then there's Stamkos. I don't expect it to be lopsided, but if a team were looking for a top line scorer to take the next step, now would be the time to get him at a bit of a discounted rate.

• Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

Tampa is in prime position to get taken advantage of... Killorn may be had cheap, Johnson isn't a bad option either with $1m retained... Then there's Stamkos. I don't expect it to be lopsided, but if a team were looking for a top line scorer to take the next step, now would be the time to get him at a bit of a discounted rate.

I'd be very surprised if Stamkos waives to go anywhere.  It's going to cost him a fortune in taxes pretty well anywhere else and the Bolts are a good team so he has zero incentive to leave.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Crimson said:

I'd be very surprised if Stamkos waives to go anywhere.  It's going to cost him a fortune in taxes pretty well anywhere else and the Bolts are a good team so he has zero incentive to leave.

Just speculating. He's not on their 'untouchables list', but it likely won't happen, just thought I'd mention it, because of the TSN article. Good way to clear cap and re-sign their RFA's.

https://www.tsn.ca/trade-bait-steven-stamkos-isn-t-among-tampa-bay-lightning-untouchables-1.1534903

7 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

Benning pays to help capped out teams

Just watch, Tampa, TO or Montreal will pay a team to take a decent player off their books, Only Benning pays to help other teams get much better.

What are you even talking about lol 

• Thanks 1

On 10/9/2020 at 10:40 AM, Chickenspear said:

Just speculating. He's not on their 'untouchables list', but it likely won't happen, just thought I'd mention it, because of the TSN article. Good way to clear cap and re-sign their RFA's.

https://www.tsn.ca/trade-bait-steven-stamkos-isn-t-among-tampa-bay-lightning-untouchables-1.1534903

Stamkos doesn’t need to waive and TB would be a gutter team to even ask their captain to do that.  Never, ever going to happen. 

2 hours ago, Lazurus said:

Just watch, Tampa, TO or Montreal will pay a team to take a decent player off their books, Only Benning pays to help other teams get much better.

Lazarus it’s time you start another JB hate thread with a veiled click-bait title.   Always good for a laugh. 

19 minutes ago, IBatch said:

And I’m so happy it’s not Barrie.  De Niro was giving me nightmares for a couple of days. 

Truth stranger than fiction?!

Imagine if someone had posted this bright idea a few days back? Hey, let's dangle a 2022 3rd for Nate FreekenSchmidtEH?! I know of one or two regular posters who would've ambled by with their ever-present, bucket o'water! :^)

Valuations are everywhere, & it just depends how cap-hooped any GM seems to be. So nice to WIN one of these again...

• Huggy Bear 1

6 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Truth stranger than fiction?!

Imagine if someone had posted this bright idea a few days back? Hey, let's dangle a 2022 3rd for Nate FreekenSchmidtEH?! I know of one or two regular posters who would've ambled by with their ever-present, bucket o'water! :^)

Valuations are everywhere, & it just depends how cap-hooped any GM seems to be. So nice to WIN one of these again...

If anyone made this proposal a few days ago they’d be flamed hard.   “Never going to happen - go back to your NHL 21 and keep working “ etc.   Context matters for sure.   Covid context plus Vegas going after AP ... miracles do happen. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, IBatch said:
7 hours ago, Lazurus said:

Lazarus it’s time you start another JB hate thread with a veiled click-bait title.   Always good for a laugh

I would prefer to blame the bullder rather than 20 or 30 other players, coaches, refs, weather,

Really Benning's last good trade, Miller, helped Tampa keep there team together and they won the cup.

This trade, which is good, may have helped Vegas win the cup this year.

Funny thing I watch Tim and Sid and they said "fire Benning" was trending at #3, I don't follow that stuff but I can assume that is a lot of people.

Hate Benning, no just the job he hasn't done very well.

Now I see that losing Stecher will be the cause for a decline in the standings.

No thought to depth, a very condensed schedule or a weakened team.

The owner will be blamed for not spending 10 to 14 million for nothing, buying out Eriksson, Ferland and Baertschi.

The NHL will be blamed for the very tight schedule not fair to teams with no depth.

I understand that in your opinion all is well and FAAAAaaantaaaastic with the team. There are no problems at all that could ever be avoided.

I want the team to win, I want them to win a cup but there is no way I will believe that sh1t happens and there is no on responsible, even Benning fires coaches

Oh well, just 6 more months and then?

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

No doubt.  We fleeced them.   Thanks to patience and keeping up with current events. 

I would agree, very good trade, but I will wait to see if that just cost Virtanen or Gaudette because there is no cap space left. Then again it could be said if that happened it was the Eriksson contract or the other 17 mil in dead money and clause contracts.

2 hours ago, Lazurus said:

I would prefer to blame the bullder rather than 20 or 30 other players, coaches, refs, weather,

Really Benning's last good trade, Miller, helped Tampa keep there team together and they won the cup.

This trade, which is good, may have helped Vegas win the cup this year.

Funny thing I watch Tim and Sid and they said "fire Benning" was trending at #3, I don't follow that stuff but I can assume that is a lot of people.

Hate Benning, no just the job he hasn't done very well.

Now I see that losing Stecher will be the cause for a decline in the standings.

No thought to depth, a very condensed schedule or a weakened team.

The owner will be blamed for not spending 10 to 14 million for nothing, buying out Eriksson, Ferland and Baertschi.

The NHL will be blamed for the very tight schedule not fair to teams with no depth.

I understand that in your opinion all is well and FAAAAaaantaaaastic with the team. There are no problems at all that could ever be avoided.

I want the team to win, I want them to win a cup but there is no way I will believe that sh1t happens and there is no on responsible, even Benning fires coaches

Oh well, just 6 more months and then?

I would agree, very good trade, but I will wait to see if that just cost Virtanen or Gaudette because there is no cap space left. Then again it could be said if that happened it was the Eriksson contract or the other 17 mil in dead money and clause contracts.

So you agree the trade was very good but hate Benning?   Tough crowd.  How did you feel about MG?  Or Nonis? Or Burke?  Or Keenan?  Or Quin? Or previous?  Just curious.   Been through most of them and not one was close to perfect.   I imagine JB will get fired at some point - but he’s so far - compared to his current brethren, done an above average job considering the circumstances.   Yzerman’s luster will fade soon enough- and they had Holland, for two decades put on a mantle as the epitome of GMs...and have been rebuilding as long as we have.   But thanks for admitting your hate, that’s the first step towards recovery ha ha. 

• Vintage 1

15 hours ago, IBatch said:

So you agree the trade was very good but hate Benning?   Tough crowd.  How did you feel about MG?  Or Nonis? Or Burke?  Or Keenan?  Or Quin? Or previous?  Just curious.   Been through most of them and not one was close to perfect.   I imagine JB will get fired at some point - but he’s so far - compared to his current brethren, done an above average job considering the circumstances.   Yzerman’s luster will fade soon enough- and they had Holland, for two decades put on a mantle as the epitome of GMs...and have been rebuilding as long as we have.   But thanks for admitting your hate, that’s the first step towards recovery ha ha. 

The other GM's by rank?

Quinn #1 -

Gillis #2 -

Nonis #3 -

Burke #4 -

Keenan #5 -

Benning #6 - More losses than Nonis, Burke and Keenan combined

Hate Benning's work, His mistakes keep delaying the team's success. FA's = FAIL, Contracts = FAIL, Drafting = C (fewer on team than all other NHL teams), Win/Loss record = EPIC FAIL, Cap Management = EPIC FAIL

For a lot of this it is hard to ignore what he has or hasn't done. In one breath posters go back and blame Gills and in the next they ignore most of Benning's past.

The current trade which is good still might cost Jake and Gaudette. I am not a Canadiens fan but look at what good cap management a plan can achieve. I am pretty