The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Tyler Johnson

I was wondering what measures Tampa would go to in order to shed the salary of the players they wanted to move. I thought if Johnson wouldn’t waive then they’d sacrifice him for nothing through waivers in order to keep Cernak and Sergachev. It’s happening! Unfortunate but smart move by Tampa here.

I'm not surprised. He was one of their better players before they got really good, then he just became a bonus...but overpaid for that role. 

He isn't somebody id want on the 2nd line, but he is a good top 9 option.

3 minutes ago, mll said:

CapFriendly wonders if it's not a way to get around the NTC.  

I thought there was a similar discussion around Loui, but people thought it would be considered cap circumvention? 

He should get claimed by one of the cellar dweller teams with the salary space to easily take on that contract. I’d probably pass, when it comes to the Canucks, just because of his age and declining scoring profile (advanced stats are pretty soft too, at least for his salary). 4x5M on a 30+ Tyler Johnson could end up looking like Loui Eriksson-lite.

Although one scenario, I suppose, would be to claim him and feed him top offensive minutes at RW for a year, pump his stats, and then work out an agreement for Seattle to claim him in the expansion draft (and not take our goalies—if we have Marky and Demko still on the team). That might be an option, if he actually slips down to our waiver claim position, and especially if we reach a point where there are doubts about re-signing Toffoli, Virtanen’S rights get moved, and we need another top-six scoring option who can slot in at RW.

Just now, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

He should get claimed by one of the cellar dweller teams with the salary space to easily take on that contract. I’d probably pass, when it comes to the Canucks, just because of his age and declining scoring profile (advanced stats are pretty soft too, at least for his salary). 4x5M on a 30+ Tyler Johnson could end up looking like Loui Eriksson-lite.

Although one scenario, I suppose, would be to claim him and feed him top offensive minutes at RW for a year, pump his stats, and then work out an agreement for Seattle to claim him in the expansion draft (and not take our goalies—if we have Marky and Demko still on the team). That might be an option, if he actually slips down to our waiver claim position, and especially if we reach a point where there are doubts about re-signing Toffoli, Virtanen’S rights get moved, and we need another top-six scoring option who can slot in at RW.

Ha!! cellar dwellers. 

Ima keep that one. 

12 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

I thought there was a similar discussion around Loui, but people thought it would be considered cap circumvention? 

NHL and NHLPA would be all over this one if it goes down like that. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Who here remembers this gem of a proposal ?

Tampa trades:

T. Johnson- 4years at 5m per left, TB retains 1m for a 4m cap hit--Gives them 4m cap space immediately

Erik Cernak rights- RHD we need

For: Rafferty, 2021 2nd round pick 

:sick::bigblush:

Edited by GhostsOf1994
Words

8 hours ago, Robert Long said:

A dirtbag move by the Bolts at the very least if true. And something the PA should bring up next CBA 

5 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Johnson to Winnipeg made sense, before they acquired Stastny. Honestly though, for those that want Cernak the last thing you want is Tampa to shed cap. Lol.

Offer sheet both Sergachev and Cirelli, Tampa will match and reach the 10% cap overage allowance, then go for Cernak so they can't match. :ph34r: