Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[Waivers] Tyler Johnson

Recommended Posts

I was wondering what measures Tampa would go to in order to shed the salary of the players they wanted to move. I thought if Johnson wouldn’t waive then they’d sacrifice him for nothing through waivers in order to keep Cernak and Sergachev. It’s happening! Unfortunate but smart move by Tampa here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not surprised. He was one of their better players before they got really good, then he just became a bonus...but overpaid for that role. 

 

He isn't somebody id want on the 2nd line, but he is a good top 9 option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not surprised.

it's looking very difficult to move that kind of cap and term....

I thought they'd have to sweeten to move him - but am a bit surprised by the optics of this - I guess they weren't even close to moving him....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CapFriendly wonders if it's not a way to get around the NTC.  

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mll said:

CapFriendly wonders if it's not a way to get around the NTC.  

 

 

I thought there was a similar discussion around Loui, but people thought it would be considered cap circumvention? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He should get claimed by one of the cellar dweller teams with the salary space to easily take on that contract. I’d probably pass, when it comes to the Canucks, just because of his age and declining scoring profile (advanced stats are pretty soft too, at least for his salary). 4x5M on a 30+ Tyler Johnson could end up looking like Loui Eriksson-lite.

 

Although one scenario, I suppose, would be to claim him and feed him top offensive minutes at RW for a year, pump his stats, and then work out an agreement for Seattle to claim him in the expansion draft (and not take our goalies—if we have Marky and Demko still on the team). That might be an option, if he actually slips down to our waiver claim position, and especially if we reach a point where there are doubts about re-signing Toffoli, Virtanen’S rights get moved, and we need another top-six scoring option who can slot in at RW.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

He should get claimed by one of the cellar dweller teams with the salary space to easily take on that contract. I’d probably pass, when it comes to the Canucks, just because of his age and declining scoring profile (advanced stats are pretty soft too, at least for his salary). 4x5M on a 30+ Tyler Johnson could end up looking like Loui Eriksson-lite.

 

Although one scenario, I suppose, would be to claim him and feed him top offensive minutes at RW for a year, pump his stats, and then work out an agreement for Seattle to claim him in the expansion draft (and not take our goalies—if we have Marky and Demko still on the team). That might be an option, if he actually slips down to our waiver claim position, and especially if we reach a point where there are doubts about re-signing Toffoli, Virtanen’S rights get moved, and we need another top-six scoring option who can slot in at RW.

Ha!! cellar dwellers. 
 

Ima keep that one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Ha!! cellar dwellers. 
 

Ima keep that one. 

Haha, it’s not mine. It’s a term used by many of the old hockey scribes, often to describe our beloved Canucks, back in the dark days when we lived in the basement of the league standings.

  • Vintage 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

 

I thought there was a similar discussion around Loui, but people thought it would be considered cap circumvention? 

 

NHL and NHLPA would be all over this one if it goes down like that. 

  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Who here remembers this gem of a proposal ?

 

 

Tampa trades:

 

T. Johnson- 4years at 5m per left, TB retains 1m for a 4m cap hit--Gives them 4m cap space immediately

Erik Cernak rights- RHD we need

 

For: Rafferty, 2021 2nd round pick 

 

 

:sick::bigblush:

Edited by GhostsOf1994
Words

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Suddenly I wish we were closer to the top of the waiver list :shock:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could see the Flames claiming him. They need center depth and with a Hockey Gnome trade they would have the room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Goes to show that players really should just demand an NMC

 

Brisebois losing a blackberry for this one...

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Robert Long said:

 

I thought there was a similar discussion around Loui, but people thought it would be considered cap circumvention? 

 

A dirtbag move by the Bolts at the very least if true. And something the PA should bring up next CBA 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, aGENT said:

Suddenly I wish we were closer to the top of the waiver list :shock:

No thanks money better spent on a dman 

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Johnson to Winnipeg made sense, before they acquired Stastny. Honestly though, for those that want Cernak the last thing you want is Tampa to shed cap. Lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 years ago he was arguably the best player in the league, since then he's been a consistent 40 pt scorer, but that cap hit hurts these days.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Johnson to Winnipeg made sense, before they acquired Stastny. Honestly though, for those that want Cernak the last thing you want is Tampa to shed cap. Lol.

Offer sheet both Sergachev and Cirelli, Tampa will match and reach the 10% cap overage allowance, then go for Cernak so they can't match. :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.