The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Tyler Johnson

Just now, oldnews said:

yawn - sorry - not reading the rest - I've said what I have to say and am not going to waste any more time with this.  I think you're unglued and should probably recompose yourself.

get some sunshine.

You are absolutely entitled to your opinions, there is no requirement at all that they conform to any sort of objective reality... so at least you aren't breaking any forum rules in that regard.

I think folks are perfectly capable of judging that Johnson is better than Roussel, no matter your argument otherwise.  Maybe go back to pounding the drum on Gudbranson as a top pairing D who is just misused by every team that acquires (then dumps) him because you really know more than all the coaching staff and hockey analysts who say otherwise... you had better luck with that one.

If TB wants to clear a 5m contract X 4 years it shouldn't be cheap, Hell we can;t move a 6m contract by 2yrs or 1yr of Sutter.

A team should bend TB over, Take TJ full salary PLUS a 2021 1st round pick AND Cernak/Foote plus a prospect F as well. Just wish we were in a position to take advantage of the situation...we kind of are but not sure JB does a deal.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

If TB wants to clear a 5m contract X 4 years it shouldn't be cheap, Hell we can;t move a 6m contract by 2yrs or 1yr of Sutter.

A team should bend TB over, Take TJ full salary PLUS a 2021 1st round pick AND Cernak/Foote plus a prospect F as well. Just wish we were in a position to take advantage of the situation...we kind of are but not sure JB does a deal.

If Benning doesn’t plan on adding I’m hoping he does weaponize some cap space for picks or prospects. Just as long as it’s short term or in the mold of getting a good player like he did with Tampa last year. A player I really like is Alex Tuch off Vegas that they’re currently paying 4.8 to play on their 3rd line. I’d rather him than shelling out a long term deal to Toffoli.

1 minute ago, flickyoursedin said:

If Benning doesn’t plan on adding I’m hoping he does weaponize some cap space for picks or prospects. Just as long as it’s short term or in the mold of getting a good player like he did with Tampa last year. A player I really like is Alex Tuch off Vegas that they’re currently paying 4.8 to play on their 3rd line. I’d rather him than shelling out a long term deal to Toffoli.

Tuch would be nice, but can't see Vegas giving up on him, they would try to move an older player out first I assume. They might look to trade a D like Schmidt if you can find a taker to clear almost 6m

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Wonder if a Sutter to Tampa with 50 percent retained for Tyler Johnson + + makes any sense for both sides. If Tampa adds Cernak and a pick. Our center depth once Sutter is gone isn't great. Johnson could be left exposed and being from Spokane Washington, maybe it would be easy to make a deal with Seattle to take him.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, rekker said:

Wonder if a Sutter to Tampa with 50 percent retained for Tyler Johnson + + makes any sense for both sides. If Tampa adds Cernak and a pick. Our center depth once Sutter is gone isn't great. Johnson could be left exposed and being from Spokane Washington, maybe it would be easy to make a deal with Seattle to take him.

I like this a lot 

• Thanks 1

Okay, so completely hypothetical proposal here, I doubt Tampa would do this

To Vancouver

Tyler Johnson

2021 1st round pick

To Tampa

Baerstchi 1 million retained

2021 2nd or 3rd round pick

Then,

To Ottawa:

Tampa 2021 1st round pick

Loui

To Vancouver

2021 6th round pick

Future Consideration

We free up 4 million in space for Tampa, and they can free up 1 million more by sending Baer to their farm team if he can't make it out of camp.

We lose a 2nd or 3rd round pick next year but free up about 8 million + in dead cap space but eat up 5 million of that with an effective winger who just won a cup.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

To Vancouver

Tyler Johnson

2021 1st round pick

To Tampa

Baerstchi 1 million retained

2021 2nd or 3rd round pick

Then,

To Ottawa:

Tampa 2021 1st round pick

Loui

To Vancouver

2021 6th round pick

Future Consideration

We free up 4 million in space for Tampa, and they can free up 1 million more by sending Baer to their farm team if he can't make it out of camp.

We lose a 2nd or 3rd round pick next year but free up about 8 million + in dead cap space but eat up 5 million of that with an effective winger who just won a cup.

Thoughts?

I would just move our 1st to Ottawa to shed Eriksson and maybe even Baertschi.  Then see what deal we can make with Tampa Bay, rather than add cap that we can't afford and then try to deal with Ottawa who would then really have us over a barrel.

Eriksson + Baertschi + 1st round pick for whatever Ottawa gives us... If we could get a guy like Tierney from them that would be super, but even nothing back is fine.  

Johnson+Cernak+? for Rafferty + Gaudette

We send $3.4 million in real dollars next year and $5 million the next to Ottawa.  In reality with escrow and deferral we are really only sending 70% of that $2.4 which is $1.68 million dollars next year for two roster players.  We save almost $10 million in cap next year with the Ottawa trade, plus the $6 million in cap the next year when we need it badly. 

We add around $9 million in cap for Johnson and Cernak but upgrade two positions.  Tampa saves $5 million in cap plus gets two cheap roster players in positions they are trying to exit expensive veterans. 

Miller-Petterson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Johnson
Roussel-Sutter-Virtanen
Motte-Beagle-MacEwan
Ferland-Leivo

Edler-Schmidt
Hughes-Cernak

We could also try to get Tierney in the Ottawa deal and shed Jake.  Johnson was a repeat Selke vote getter, and could play either top 6 wing or 3C for us during his tenure based on what we needed... like if Podkolzin was NHL ready next year when Sutter's deal expires.  If we got Tierney we could also try to get a different player from Tampa like Killorn... as we would already have a set 3C.
Juolevi-Myers
Chatfield

Next year Edler re-signs for cheap or we go with a guy like Tryamkin.  Both he and Schmidt play both sides so the pairings could shuffle however they work.

• Wat 1

9 hours ago, Provost said:

I would just move our 1st to Ottawa to shed Eriksson and maybe even Baertschi.  Then see what deal we can make with Tampa Bay, rather than add cap that we can't afford and then try to deal with Ottawa who would then really have us over a barrel.

Eriksson + Baertschi + 1st round pick for whatever Ottawa gives us... If we could get a guy like Tierney from them that would be super, but even nothing back is fine.  

Johnson+Cernak+? for Rafferty + Gaudette

We send $3.4 million in real dollars next year and $5 million the next to Ottawa.  In reality with escrow and deferral we are really only sending 70% of that $2.4 which is $1.68 million dollars next year for two roster players.  We save almost $10 million in cap next year with the Ottawa trade, plus the $6 million in cap the next year when we need it badly. 

We add around $9 million in cap for Johnson and Cernak but upgrade two positions.  Tampa saves $5 million in cap plus gets two cheap roster players in positions they are trying to exit expensive veterans. 

Miller-Petterson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Johnson
Roussel-Sutter-Virtanen
Motte-Beagle-MacEwan
Ferland-Leivo

Edler-Schmidt
Hughes-Cernak

We could also try to get Tierney in the Ottawa deal and shed Jake.  Johnson was a repeat Selke vote getter, and could play either top 6 wing or 3C for us during his tenure based on what we needed... like if Podkolzin was NHL ready next year when Sutter's deal expires.  If we got Tierney we could also try to get a different player from Tampa like Killorn... as we would already have a set 3C.
Juolevi-Myers
Chatfield

Next year Edler re-signs for cheap or we go with a guy like Tryamkin.  Both he and Schmidt play both sides so the pairings could shuffle however they work.

I don't think that giving up our 1st is a good overall approach to making other problem players go away. Its one thing when you are trading it to acquire someone like Miller, but I think there are other solutions for getting rid of Eriksson.

It would be worth making space for him in preparation of the TDL for a dump. 

Who wouldn’t offer up a 3rd, even a second, to add a player like that for the playoffs? Probably only those without the picks, since the cost would be minimal. 

JB must be enjoying this phase, rubbing his hands together in anticipation of easy wins. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?

19 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

To Vancouver

Tyler Johnson

2021 1st round pick

Thoughts?

if we can trade Jake for a young RHD then I think this could be a thing. We'd be a few mil over the cap but thats fine for now and. you'd think you could send Loui to one of NJ, Ottawa or Detroit using that 1st.

Do we know if TJ has Vancouver on his NT list? 

1 hour ago, Robert Long said:

if we can trade Jake for a young RHD then I think this could be a thing. We'd be a few mil over the cap but thats fine for now and. you'd think you could send Loui to one of NJ, Ottawa or Detroit using that 1st.

Do we know if TJ has Vancouver on his NT list? 

You would think that would work.

No idea if Canucks are on his list, but if someone is not wanted, they will generally expand their list a little. Usually as long as they would be going to a team that they believe can compete.

46 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

You would think that would work.

No idea if Canucks are on his list, but if someone is not wanted, they will generally expand their list a little. Usually as long as they would be going to a team that they believe can compete.

FWIW, he's apparently expanded his list to eight teams.

I think Johnson would be a good add especially if we can get Cernak or a 1st from them. Might have to include Gaudette in the deal.

We could flip the first to dump Eriksson, or if we get Cernak pay our own first to do it.

Accomplishes two goals of getting a solid stay at home D man at a good age and a replacement forward for Toffoli.

Depending on what Cernaks ask is we might not have to dump much more.

Miller Pettersson Virtanen

Pearson Horvat Boeser

Roussel Johnson MacEwan

Motte Beagle Sutter

Edler Schmidt

Hughes Cernak

Juolevi Myers

I bet we could even boost Johnson’s value here and convince Seattle to take a local kid.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I think Johnson would be a good add especially if we can get Cernak or a 1st from them. Might have to include Gaudette in the deal.

We could flip the first to dump Eriksson, or if we get Cernak pay our own first to do it.

Accomplishes two goals of getting a solid stay at home D man at a good age and a replacement forward for Toffoli.

Pearson Horvat Boeser

Roussel Johnson MacEwan

Motte Beagle Sutter

Edler Schmidt

Hughes Cernak

Juolevi Myers

I bet we could even boost Johnson’s value here and convince Seattle to take a local kid.

Exactly the lineup I think is possible... with pretty much the same moves.  I know it is a hard pill to swallow to give up a 1st, but would we get a player better than Cernak with a 1st?  Probably not unless it was a high lottery pick.

I probably try to move Jake out and sign Leivo for cheap instead... Johnson can either play a top 6 wing or 3C whic is useful.  Sutter could be 3C this year but when either/both Hoglander hit the wings next year he could revert to 3C... IF he wasn’t taken by Seattle which so think he probably would be.  They need a bit of a face of the franchise and a local boy who has won a Stanley Cup that will be there for the first few years seems like a no brainer.

We have few advantages now, but two of them are:

- our bad contracts don’t have a lot of cash attached to them.  Tampa’s bad contracts have equivalent bad cash involved so the broke teams don’t want them.

- Ae are a fairly attractive destination, a player who might not want to waive for a bottom feeder, may look more kindly on moving to us.

Trading Johnson and Cernak to us means they can probably sign both Sergachev and Cirelli.... and they can promote Foote (or Rafferty if he was part of the package) as a cheap replacement in their system.  One move fixed their issues rather than having to try a few complex ones.

21 minutes ago, BPA said:

Saw this on Hfboards....yes that site.

The deal was...TJ for LE straight up.

Then TB makes a deal with DET.  LE + picks for nothing (future considerations).

It doesn’t make a lot of sense as two different deals as they don’t know that they can ditch Eriksson... as a 3 way move it could.

If the issue is that Johnson won’t waive to a team that would take his cap hit, but he would waive to come here... that is the only reason it would make sense.

A bonus for us is that maybe he gets taken in expansion and we are clear of both cap hits in a year.  On the downside, that is a whole lot more term for us to take on to get rid of two years of Eriksson.

Not the worst idea as Johnson is a solid player, but just overpaid by a couple million in the current market.  If we were to do that sort of deal I think it would be more Killorn or Palat we would take back so it isn’t so many years.

To Detroit/Ottawa - Eriksson, Tampa’s 1st round pick

To Vancouver - Palat

To Tampa Bay - whatever 

Edited by Provost

14 minutes ago, Provost said:

It doesn’t make a lot of sense as two different deals as they don’t know that they can ditch Eriksson... as a 3 way move it could.

If the issue is that Johnson won’t waive to a team that would take his cap hit, but he would waive to come here... that is the only reason it would make sense.

A bonus for us is that maybe he gets taken in expansion and we are clear of both cap hits in a year.  On the downside, that is a whole lot more term for us to take on to get rid of two years of Eriksson.

Not the worst idea as Johnson is a solid player, but just overpaid by a couple million in the current market.  If we were to do that sort of deal I think it would be more Killorn or Palat we would take back so it isn’t so many years.

To Detroit/Ottawa - Eriksson, Tampa’s 1st round pick

To Vancouver - Palat

To Tampa Bay - whatever 

I would assume these types of trades would be ironed out before making it official. 

From what I understand, TJ has revised his list to 8 teams that he will waive his NTC.  Pretty sure he doesn't want to go to a team that is rebuilding.  But rather to a team that is on the upswing or a cup contender.

Haven't heard much of Palat or Killorn.

On 10/14/2020 at 5:17 PM, DeNiro said:

Pearson Horvat Boeser

Roussel Johnson MacEwan

Motte Beagle Sutter

Edler Schmidt

Hughes Cernak

Juolevi Myers

Palat Cirelli Johnson

Kucheov Point Johnson

Stamkos Cirelli Johnson

Palat Point Johnson

Palat Johnson Gourde

Killorn  Cirelli Johnson

Those are Johnson's 6 most frequent 5 on 5  line formations this year.

Cirelli 44 pts.

Palat 41 pts

Kucherov 85 pts

Point 64 pts

Killorn 49 pts

Gourde 30 pts.

Johnson 51.7% ozone starts.

31 pts.

4th among Tampa forwards in powerplay ice time.

You are proposing to bring in that 20 million of contract....?

And "boost his value" playing him with Roussel and MacEwen?

I mean, anything is "possible" but.....No.  thank.  you.  

Hard pass on that not particularly well thought out 'plan'.