The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Braden Holtby

5 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'm a bit nervous about his horrible numbers the last 3 years but you JB wanted someone with experience and a cup to mentor the defence and Demko. Looking for a 41-41 split next season but I'm sure Demko will end up just stealing the starting job.

Don’t worry about Holtby - he’s just good enough to push Demko.   Aside from MAF - who’s comparable anyways - this is the best possible scenario for our club.   Demko wouldn’t get what he should in this market - and if we signed JM eventually we’d regret it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Canuckster86 said:

Hopefully we do a close split, do what NYI have done...ride the hot G till he loses then on to the next guy

For sure. Friendly competition. Less pressure on either goalie. This is sort of environment that'll help push Demko and perhaps reinvigorate Holtby.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Down by the River said:

There were a bajillion goalies that the Canucks could have targeted. The fact that they got Holtby so early tells me that he was their #1 guy... and undoubtedly Ian Clark had a lot to say about who the #1 target should be. 

Holtby is a very cerebral guy; one of the first to work with a sports psychologist. I think he and Demko will mesh well together. 

Been reported teams were lined up for Holtby so canucks upped thr offer 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Rabbit said:

Good arrangement.

He is the similar age with Marky, but cheaper and shorter contract.

Canucks can protect Demko is the expansion draft, and Seattle might not pick him.

Bingo.   JB working towards GM of the year (again).   He’s made a bit of a mess becoming this good a year ahead of schedule - and this is just like the Miller signing at the time (Ryan) - the mandate at the time would cave fast.   Holtby or MAF were the perfect targets.   Safer bets then Griess or Khudobin - pedigrees matter when it comes to fickle goalies.   And Holtby for sure will play for one more deal...

• Vintage 1

Great Job by Benning. Likely a couple million a year less than Markstrom wanted, plus a few years less as well. He's only a year older and this leaves us more flexible with the short term of the contract.

I hate to see Markstrom go but he has been quite prone to injury and we needed cap relief. Just like RB's in football, teams don't want huge dollars and terms for goalies. 

2 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

Been reported teams were lined up for Holtby so canucks upped thr offer 

That’s ok.   The most important metric of this off-season is dealt with and IMO at very little premium.   Less then Ryan Miller six years ago.  Both Vezina winners .. one has a cup.   That also matters.   MAF might have worked if weren’t in the same division- was hoping we’d get him and use the extras for OEL.   But this is a very good if not great start