The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Braden Holtby

More I think about it, more I like this signing.

I like the fact that JB is very decisive. Rather than committing to 5+ years to 30+ year old goalie, he just said, we are going with the young guy that showed so much promise throughout his career.

One problem with Gillis was that he became too loyal to his players and wasn't able to move on from anyone and the core staled very quick as a result. 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, whcanuck said:

Holtby is a Stanley Cup champion who was THE guy in net for his team. When was the last time the Canucks had a goaltender who was a Stanley Cup winner?

Not to mention a Vezina winner.

I don’t believe we ever have:

9 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

I'm not convinced Markstrom is not going to revert back to his old ways. I was waiting for it for a year and a half. Saw a bit of that in the playoffs this year. 

A lot of experts attribute Markstrom's improved play to the coaching of Ian Clark.  It will interesting to see whether Marky continues to play like he did in the last 18 months or whether he goes back to the goalie he was before Clark started working with him.

• Upvote 1

I really like this signing. I really enjoyed Holtby’s interview / addressing the media today. The guy is a champ, and has a great attitude. We’re in great hands with him and Demko the next couple of years. I just hope Seattle leaves Holtby alone. Even with the back-loaded contract, I’m sure it’ll still be tempting for them.

Edited by Slegr
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I really like this signing. I really enjoyed Holtby’s interview / addressing the media today. The guy is a champ, and has a great attitude. We’re in great hands with him and Demko the next couple of years. I just hope Seattle leaves Holtby alone. Even with the back-loaded contract, I’m sure it’ll still be tempting for them.

We'll likely be exposing some enticing younger players that'll pique their interest. Holtby will be like pushing 32 at the expansion draft with one year on his contract. Why risk it? Especially since I think other teams will be exposing better younger goalies too.

8 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I’m not even close to mad or upset. Demko, you’re up! 

I am so so glad Benning and group never signed longterm with Markstrom 6 years NT clause just crazy...

I was thinking 5.5 tops X 4 years with expansion clause...

We need to sign goalie coach Ian Clark!!! 

Clark really changed Markstroms game.....

Excited to see Holby and Demko work together..Holby sounds first class listen to his interview...

Patience Benning and group will do lots more...

Ferland will give us 3.5 if on long term......Hope Ferland doesn't come back...Serious needs to retire and keep his health....

Go Canucks Go ! 

Tanev is sleeping on offer from Vancouver??? Hope its not more then 3.5 X 3 yrs....

Taffoli - Would be nice to sign 4.6 X 3 yrs..

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

48 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I am so so glad Benning and group never signed longterm with Markstrom 6 years NT clause just crazy...

Excited to see Holby and Demko work together..Holby sounds first class listen to his interview...

Ferland will give us 3.5 if on long term......Hope Ferland doesn't come back...Serious needs to retire and keep his health....

Go Canucks Go ! 

Tanev is sleeping on offer from Vancouver??? Hope its not more then 3.5 X 3 yrs....

Ian Clark was extended in November 2019, his contract runs along with Green’s and other assistant coaches.

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

He may not have a Vezina but the year Luongo lost to Brodeur is better than a lot of Vezina winner's best seasons. Just saying. Luongo was a Vezina caliber goalie.

You either have it...

...or you don’t.

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

Go Canucks Go ! 

Take one for the team during Covid, win the Cup, and get paid much more next time when normal is a thing again.

Canadian team. Safer than anywhere USA.

And if the league is going to bubble up?

At least you can fly home within the same country.

Edited by Me_

5 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

He has the talent. If you need a little statue to prove it that's your business. 

Statues live on for hundreds of years. 

Digital recordings, probably not.

Runner up in ‘82, ‘94 and ‘11 was great.

Time to win the Cup.

Why not get a 31 year old Cup winner on your team.

Because that 4th liner dudewhatshisname says so. That guy that’s paid too much whicheverhisnameis I think they won a Cup together...

Edited by Me_