The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Braden Holtby

9 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I am so so glad Benning and group never signed longterm with Markstrom 6 years NT clause just crazy...

I was thinking 5.5 tops X 4 years with expansion clause...

We need to sign goalie coach Ian Clark!!! 

Clark really changed Markstroms game.....

Excited to see Holby and Demko work together..Holby sounds first class listen to his interview...

Patience Benning and group will do lots more...

Ferland will give us 3.5 if on long term......Hope Ferland doesn't come back...Serious needs to retire and keep his health....

Go Canucks Go ! 

Tanev is sleeping on offer from Vancouver??? Hope its not more then 3.5 X 3 yrs....

Taffoli - Would be nice to sign 4.6 X 3 yrs..

1. I agree - at that price, with the looming expansion draft, and potential of Demko letting Markstrom walk was the right decision

2. Holtby on paper was both a good signing and a bad signing. Good in that two years, we can let him go at the expansion, veizna, stanley cup winner. But last year he was the 2nd worst goaltender in the league (#1 goes to Jimmy Howard) so I am hoping he can regain form. 
3. Ferland should go on LTIR. If he is healthy I like him but he returned 3 times over 10 months and only managed to get 20 minutes on the ice. The offseason is shorter than his last break - I don't see him lasting. 
4. I agree - Tanev is just not that good anymore. He was excellent in his prime but has decline substantially. Both offensively and defensively the Hughs-Myers pairing was actually much more effective. $3.5 x 3 is reasonable but unfortunately much more that he is actually worth (he will get that on merit). 1 x $2.5M would be the appropriate contract for Tanev as he is now a decent bottom pairing-calibre dman. 
5. Toffoli would be an excellent signing - he is a very underrated player and would be the best value forward on the market IMO. Fits well anywhere in our lineup. 

Additional points:

6. Stay far away from OEL - not the same player he was. Horrifically overpaid, to give up assets for him would be idiotic. He is not a terrible NHL player by any means but you don't give above average players those types of contracts. 
7. Bring back Stecher and Virtanen - they bring pretty good value and are still young enough to have upside. Fantenberg did well as a cheap #7.

Potential Targets
Mackenize Weegar

Rumours are that he is available. 26 years old. VERY underrated player. Ranked 36th in GAR amongst dmen. His even strength defense/60 is 12th best in the league. He is a solid #2 defenseman to play alongside Quinn Hughes.

Matt Roy 

Matt Roy was excellent last year. RHD finishing 13 in Calder voting. Played over 18 minutes, great underlying numbers. He is 25 now so not exactly a prospect but giving up an asset for Roy who is making $700K but could play in the top 4 might make more sense than moving an asset for another team to pickup one of our bad contracts.

• Cheers 2

9 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Exactly.

If Clarke sees something he can work with then I'm not going to argue with him. I'm just saying looking purely at the contract, it seems a little expensive given his level of play recently. Again, the term is a major win though. 

I still don't understand how people don't understand you have to sometimes pay more for shorter term. 

Honestly Holtby would not have been my first choice, and looking at contracts today, I think I still see Corey Crawford as a better fit on a two-year deal at approx. 4 million.

But the more I read about Holtby as a person the more I like the signing; and I trust that Ian Clark was consultant in this decision. If he can somehow regain his old form, and it could happen, it could be a gem of a signing.

First goalie to ever win a cup and don a Canucks jersey I'm pretty sure.

Watch Holtby resurrect himself to a whole new level with Clarke..

Im sure he is happy to be in a Canadian city,

especially this one.

This is a great move.  We protect Demko in the Extorsion Draft.

Thank you Jacob,. It’s a business unfortunately,.  Your just coming into your best years, and the Canucks were patient with you to get there..  mutual respect all around.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Watch Holtby resurrect himself to a whole new level with Clarke..

Im sure he is happy to be in a Canadian city,

especially this one.

This is a great move.  We protect Demko in the Extorsion Draft.

Thank you Jacob,. It’s a business unfortunately,.  Your just coming into your best years, and the Canucks were patient with you to get there..  mutual respect all around.

But Calgary though?

2 minutes ago, Me_ said:

But Calgary though?

Yeah,.. that’s yucky..    come to think of it,  I would have signed here on the offer and left myself open to be unprotected to play in Seattle..    that’s an exciting city ..     when it’s not in riot mode. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Honestly Holtby would not have been my first choice, and looking at contracts today, I think I still see Corey Crawford as a better fit on a two-year deal at approx. 4 million.

But the more I read about Holtby as a person the more I like the signing; and I trust that Ian Clark was consultant in this decision. If he can somehow regain his old form, and it could happen, it could be a gem of a signing.

First goalie to ever win a cup and don a Canucks jersey I'm pretty sure.

Charlie Hodge.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Yeah,.. that’s yucky..    come to think of it,  I would have signed here on the offer and left myself open to be unprotected to play in Seattle..    that’s an exciting city ..     when it’s not in riot mode. 

Yeah but it’s in riot mode lol!!!

• Haha 1