The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Braden Holtby

1 hour ago, J-P said:

I think if Holtby has a good enough season for Seattle to pick him with only one year left that's a win for us. Demko is our no 1 anyway and we gave up nothing except some cap room for Holtby.

People saying Holtby will be as good as Marky with some help from Clarke though, well, he could be, but more likely he will be an elite backup at this stage (hopefully good enough to play 30-40% of the games), which in that case is fine. Worst case he's a regular backup that will be a great mentor for Demko and that's fine too.

What 'stage' would you be referring to here...?

6 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Sorry my phones acting up.

I mean he's spent all that money on Anderson, Toffoli and Gallagher.

15.6 million in cap space next year without Tatar. Lehkonen. Hudon. Kotkaniemi. Weal, Armia, Danault, Mete.

Tough squeeze 

Always like Tatar and what he brings!!

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, aGENT said:

Have you compared his and Marky's ages...?

Marky has has had his best two years, Holtby the opposite, so that's the difference. As I said most goalies around 30 and in decline continue to decline.

Doesn't mean Holtby can't bounce back, but my point was that it's not a good bet to make that Holtby will be as good as Marky was (and this situation doesn't require him to be).

4 hours ago, Lionized27 said:

It should be noted that when Trotz left for Long Island he took Mitch Korn with him.

Maybe an outlier but that 1-2 years of "decline" falls right into this timeline.

Let's hope that's it!

7 hours ago, aGENT said:

What 'stage' would you be referring to here...?

Yeah I think some fans are suffering from major recency bias. Meaning yes we all saw that 3 game playoff stretch.

Yes Demko is positioned to earn the starter's role within the next couple of seasons. Don't sell Holtby short though as he will probably get the bulk of this coming season's games.

Thats not a bad thing, Holtby is a legit NHL starter and has many good years ahead of him.

Other options could have worked sure but this tandem I'm quite excited about.

Edited by Mike Vanderhoek
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, J-P said:

Marky has has had his best two years, Holtby the opposite, so that's the difference. As I said most goalies around 30 and in decline continue to decline.

Doesn't mean Holtby can't bounce back, but my point was that it's not a good bet to make that Holtby will be as good as Marky was (and this situation doesn't require him to be).

Miller came in at the ripe age of 34 on the decline and put up three Markstrom-like level years with us. I would believe that Holtby could have a similar performance for us at 31 - a whole 4 months older than Markstrom.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Yeah I think some fans are suffering from major recency bias. Meaning yes we all saw that 3 game playoff stretch.

Yes Demko is positioned to earn the starter's role within the next couple of seasons. Don't sell Holtby short though as he will probably get the bulk of this coming season's games.

Thats not a bad thing, Holtby is a legit NHL starter and has many good years ahead of him.

Other options could have worked sure but this tandem I'm quite excited about.

I think a lot of people just see a stat line posted on Twitter and don't bother digging any further.

And yes, IMO a Clarke coached Holtby is likely to be a largely lateral move from Markstrom. If he can regain some form, there's a small chance he may even be an upgrade.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2