Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[Signing] Canucks sign Braden Holtby

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, aGENT said:

And yes, IMO a Clarke coached Holtby is likely to be a largely lateral move from Markstrom. If he can regain some form, there's a small chance he may even be an upgrade.

You have a lot of confidence in Clark. (No "e" at the end I don't think). I agree he is a fantastic goalie coach. But your suggestion is optimistic imo.

 

Holtby has played on a dominant team which by the eye test (don't know where to get the stats on this) is a better posession and defensive team than ours has been since the rebuild started to present. And now we lost Tanev, which I doubt is going to improve matters. Yet, Holtby's numbers have been substandard for a #1 goalie for three straight years, and last year being borderline downright sad.

 

I like Holtby's attitude towards the game and feel he will be a good mentor to Demko. I'm just far less optimistic than you on him returning to form... Clark or not.

 

Given the contract (albeit noticeably less than Marky's) I would assume Benning shares your views. And I'm hoping I'm the one who's wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, kloubek said:

You have a lot of confidence in Clark. (No "e" at the end I don't think). I agree he is a fantastic goalie coach. But your suggestion is optimistic imo.

 

Holtby has played on a dominant team which by the eye test (don't know where to get the stats on this) is a better posession and defensive team than ours has been since the rebuild started to present. And now we lost Tanev, which I doubt is going to improve matters. Yet, Holtby's numbers have been substandard for a #1 goalie for three straight years, and last year being borderline downright sad.

 

I like Holtby's attitude towards the game and feel he will be a good mentor to Demko. I'm just far less optimistic than you on him returning to form... Clark or not.

 

Given the contract (albeit noticeably less than Marky's) I would assume Benning shares your views. And I'm hoping I'm the one who's wrong.

Holtby's play 'dropped off' at the exact time his goalie coach, Mitch Korn, left with Trotz to NYI. You can choose to think that's a coincidence. I do not.

Edited by aGENT
  • Hydration 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Holtby has a good season with us, he almost becomes a PRIME pickup for the Kraken once expansion drafts come around. 4.3 million is very reasonable for a starting goalie thats got a stanley cup ring, but the most attractive part of that contract is 1 year he'll have after this season. Having Holtby here almost shields us from other assets that we have that are going to get exposed in the draft. That 1 year he'll have under contract is absolutely attractive for the kraken as they can evaluate Holtby in the short term

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2020 at 11:49 PM, HomeBrew said:

Miller came in at the ripe age of 34 on the decline and put up three Markstrom-like level years with us. I would believe that Holtby could have a similar performance for us at 31 - a whole 4 months older than Markstrom.

Ian Clark has the midas touch when it comes to goalies so there might be a slight bump in improvement with Holtby, you'll never know

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, filthycanuck said:

Ian Clark has the midas touch when it comes to goalies so there might be a slight bump in improvement with Holtby, you'll never know

Even if he ends up as a slight downgrade from marky thats still a decent enough return from him 

Edited by UKNuck96
  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2020 at 1:09 AM, filthycanuck said:

Ian Clark has the midas touch when it comes to goalies so there might be a slight bump in improvement with Holtby, you'll never know

It's almost irrelevant whether Clark can improve Holtby or not, I think we're about to watch the rise of Thatcher Demko.  Now, that said, Holtby could see a resurgence with the Canucks, which would be a nice bonus.  I think he's good enough to play backup minutes at least without improving at all and maybe we'll be having two solid goalies if he can regain some of his form from three years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2020 at 10:22 AM, RogersTowell said:

It's almost irrelevant whether Clark can improve Holtby or not, I think we're about to watch the rise of Thatcher Demko.  Now, that said, Holtby could see a resurgence with the Canucks, which would be a nice bonus.  I think he's good enough to play backup minutes at least without improving at all and maybe we'll be having two solid goalies if he can regain some of his form from three years ago.

Wrong. If would be beneficial for Ian Clark to work with Holtby and hopefully he improves. Its going to be a condensed schedule loaded with back to backs. Any other season, maybe but not at the supposed  heavy 60 game season. The split will be closer that people may think and I dont think Thatcher as a 1st year starter is going to handle 3 games in 4 nights multiple weeks in a row

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think what’s going to happen is we’re going to see a bounce back from Holtby from where he’s dropped off, but not back to what he was. He will be a decent 1b for Demko, and post average starter numbers in roughly half the starts this year...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2020 at 1:05 AM, filthycanuck said:

If Holtby has a good season with us, he almost becomes a PRIME pickup for the Kraken once expansion drafts come around. 4.3 million is very reasonable for a starting goalie thats got a stanley cup ring, but the most attractive part of that contract is 1 year he'll have after this season. Having Holtby here almost shields us from other assets that we have that are going to get exposed in the draft. That 1 year he'll have under contract is absolutely attractive for the kraken as they can evaluate Holtby in the short term

Jim signed him to a back loaded deal as well to make him less enticing. He will be paid 2.9 million this year and 5.7 in his second year. So on the event that Seattle takes him we had him for one year at 2.9 million... a total steal. On the other hand if Seattle passes cause of the cash owed we still have our asset.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brandi Holtby has the news hammer on why Braden selected the unconventional, yet unique #49 as a member of the Canucks! 

 

 

His family looks excited to be here in Vancouver, and I can't wait to welcome them officially once the team hits the ice!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys, Holtby is not our number 1.

Thatcher is.

 

I have faith that Braden is exactly “good enough” to be a 1b mentor-type. He is not our starter, but a great locker room presence.

 

Demko may absolutely fall flat on his face, but something tells me that won’t be the case. We will have one of the best tandems in the league with Thatcher establishing himself as a top 15 netminder by season’s end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, nergish said:

Guys, Holtby is not our number 1.

Thatcher is.

 

I have faith that Braden is exactly “good enough” to be a 1b mentor-type. He is not our starter, but a great locker room presence.

 

Demko may absolutely fall flat on his face, but something tells me that won’t be the case. We will have one of the best tandems in the league with Thatcher establishing himself as a top 15 netminder by season’s end.

I disagree. I think Holtby is the 1a. Demko has yet to face a full season of backup duties. The goal is to challenge Demko for the starter role, so he could take it from Holtby, but it's Holtby's job for now. This is what we did with Ryan Miller and Jacob Markstrom and I think that did wonders for Marky's confidence to not have the pressure all on his back as he gets comfortable with the idea of being the number 1. 

 

I expect a 50/30 split or whatever that equals to a shortened season. If Holtby isn't plucked off during expansion, then I think they split duties that season with the goal of Thatcher taking over after his contract is done. Demko being the starter when he's 27 isn't a crazy idea and we can show him the example of Markstrom to get him comfortable with that idea especially seeing the payout that Marky just got.

Edited by theo5789
  • Hydration 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2020 at 1:58 PM, nergish said:

Guys, Holtby is not our number 1.

Thatcher is.

 

I have faith that Braden is exactly “good enough” to be a 1b mentor-type. He is not our starter, but a great locker room presence.

 

Demko may absolutely fall flat on his face, but something tells me that won’t be the case. We will have one of the best tandems in the league with Thatcher establishing himself as a top 15 netminder by season’s end.

You don't know this for a fact.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2020 at 12:00 AM, kloubek said:

You have a lot of confidence in Clark. (No "e" at the end I don't think). I agree he is a fantastic goalie coach. But your suggestion is optimistic imo.

 

Holtby has played on a dominant team which by the eye test (don't know where to get the stats on this) is a better posession and defensive team than ours has been since the rebuild started to present. And now we lost Tanev, which I doubt is going to improve matters. Yet, Holtby's numbers have been substandard for a #1 goalie for three straight years, and last year being borderline downright sad.

 

I like Holtby's attitude towards the game and feel he will be a good mentor to Demko. I'm just far less optimistic than you on him returning to form... Clark or not.

 

Given the contract (albeit noticeably less than Marky's) I would assume Benning shares your views. And I'm hoping I'm the one who's wrong.

It's a risk but Clark had a lot of input on bringing him in so it makes me think he must think he can get him his game back.

Holtby is to young to have declined this much but for whatever reason the whole team hasn't looked as good under Reardon. Holtby had a decent 2018-2019 with identical stats to Marky yet many nuck fans thought was our MVP.  He had a poor season, maybe his usage may have affected his game this season?

The big thing for me is playoffs he has shown he can be a Stanley cup winner and TBH I don't get that vibe with Marky.

I thought Marky was average against the Wild with the worst game I've seen him play when it mattered in game 4, thought he struggled in 3 of the six games against the Blues and was below average against Vegas. 

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

It's a risk but Clark had a lot of input on bringing him in so it makes me think he must think he can get him his game back.

Holtby is to young to have declined this much but for whatever reason the whole team hasn't looked as good under Reardon. Holtby had a decent 2018-2019 with identical stats to Marky yet many nuck fans thought was our MVP.  He had a poor season, maybe his usage may have affected his game this season?

The big thing for me is playoffs he has shown he can be a Stanley cup winner and TBH I don't get that vibe with Marky.

I thought Marky was average against the Wild with the worst game I've seen him play when it mattered in game 4, thought he struggled in 3 of the six games against the Blues and was below average against Vegas. 

Holtby regressed when Mitch Korn left the caps. I don’t think that’s a coincidence, I’m sure with Clark even if he doesn’t reach the same heights he will still be a great netminder 

Edited by UKNuck96

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2020 at 1:54 PM, Harvey Specter said:

Brandi Holtby has the news hammer on why Braden selected the unconventional, yet unique #49 as a member of the Canucks! 

 

 

His family looks excited to be here in Vancouver, and I can't wait to welcome them officially once the team hits the ice!

OMG, Brandon and Brandi, adorable :wub:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2020 at 6:21 PM, theo5789 said:

I disagree. I think Holtby is the 1a. Demko has yet to face a full season of backup duties. The goal is to challenge Demko for the starter role, so he could take it from Holtby, but it's Holtby's job for now. This is what we did with Ryan Miller and Jacob Markstrom and I think that did wonders for Marky's confidence to not have the pressure all on his back as he gets comfortable with the idea of being the number 1. 

 

I expect a 50/30 split or whatever that equals to a shortened season. If Holtby isn't plucked off during expansion, then I think they split duties that season with the goal of Thatcher taking over after his contract is done. Demko being the starter when he's 27 isn't a crazy idea and we can show him the example of Markstrom to get him comfortable with that idea especially seeing the payout that Marky just got.

I disagree.

 

If Demko is good to go, roll with him. 

 

Carter Hart is Philly's starter at 22. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

I disagree.

 

If Demko is good to go, roll with him. 

 

Carter Hart is Philly's starter at 22. 

 

On 10/21/2020 at 3:21 PM, theo5789 said:

The goal is to challenge Demko for the starter role, so he could take it from Holtby, but it's Holtby's job for now.

If Demko earns it, then sure eg "if he's good to go". For a goalie that hasn't played more than 27 games in a NHL season, it's a big jump. They went with Hart because he earned the spot after going through several goalies and he was the best option. IMO it's still Holtby that's the starter until Demko proves otherwise and challenging him is how he's going to find that next level. Giving Holtby a short term contract should give him that window to see that there is room to take the starting job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.