The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Braden Holtby

I'd be surprised if Demmer doesn't get the bulk of the games 

He's the better goalie. 

That being said, I have no choice but to become the #1 holtby fan as JB can do no wrong. 

Welcome braden. You have my full support. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Horvat is a Boss said:

Love the term on this deal; two years is perfect. Could not ask for anything better there. The cap hit is a little high.

I don't think Holtby is anything special as a goalie but I would not be surprised if he improves under our goaltending coaches. Everyone else seems to. I like the experience he brings and he'll be a good mentor for Demko.

Speaking of which, I am very excited to see what Demko can do with an increased workload. He did not impressive during the season but his Playoffs were obviously unreal. I'm glad he'll get to grow with the core. 

Guy won a Stanley Cup, won multiple personal awards, and is more accomplished than any of our past goalies, including Ryan Miller. Not anything special? Come on. You have to give credit where it's due.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

Woolley is going to be mad.  Holtby’s adjusted numbers are terrible.  He sees him as the worst fit here with our style.

Ian Clark must have OKed it, so we will see, he has earned our trust so far.

Pretty sure Washington plays or played way more open than Vancouver.

I wouldn't stress to much about that.

• Cheers 3

Just now, Provost said:

Woolley is going to be mad.  Holtby’s adjusted numbers are terrible.  He sees him as the worst fit here with our style.

Ian Clark must have OKed it, so we will see, he has earned our trust so far.

Marky was unreal with crap in front of him :P

No goalie is going to be better than that. This cap allows us to improve our team in front of the goalie so nobody has to be superman on a regular basis anymore.

That said, if we don't improve in the other areas, I wouldn't be surprised (or upset) if we missed the playoffs next year.

Just now, Canuckster86 said:

I would get put in that group most likely...I like the deal, bringing in a Cup winner with loads of experience, less term than Talbot. Should be a good G tandem for the Canucks imo

Probably one of Benning's better UFA signings then?

Would this be one of Benning's smarter FAs if he didn't commit too long to anybody?

Genuinely curious to see if there's common ground.

• Upvote 2

Wow this is totally out of the blue. And I am very surprised Holtby is willing to take a 2 year contract at such a low AAV? Comparing to Bobrosky's contract.. This is like day and night. Holtby probably better than Markstrom and lower cap hit too. So this is definitely a positive for us.