The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Braden Holtby

Just now, Horvat is a Boss said:

His individual stats and level of play have dropped off since the Capital's 50 win season or whatever it was with the exception of the 2018 Playoffs. I think he was playing on a good team. There's a reason Washington let him go.  

Same reason why Beagle was let go too? Puhleeze.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

His individual stats and level of play have dropped off since the Capital's 50 win season or whatever it was with the exception of the 2018 Playoffs. I think he was playing on a good team. There's a reason Washington let him go.  

Probably a reason why we got him too.

Ian Clarke.

• Upvote 2

I am very happy with this move.  I think it was the only move with the flat cap and the expansion draft.  I think the term is great, the number is great, the lack of NTC is great.  Markstrom spent 10 years trying to become a great goalie and Ian Clark and the Canucks did that for him.  He will go somewhere else that might not fit.  They will overpay and overcomit.  

Welcome Braden, now get moving Jimmy!

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Dazzle said:

Same reason why Beagle was let go too? Puhleeze.

Well yeah.

They felt that they could get younger and/or cheaper players to step in to those roles. They signed Dowd for peanuts and they have Samsonov in net. They didn't feel that any extra value that the vets brought was worth their cap hit. 

1 minute ago, kloubek said:

I think he means NOW. Not the past. Holtby hasn't had a season worthy of a #1 since 2016/17 season. To me, it looks like overpayment too.

Yes! Sports is always a "what have you done for me lately", and Holtby has struggled and I often felt he was the weak link on Washington.

I'm willing to give him a try. If he sucks, we have him for one more season, and that's okay.

2 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Now just $8 million room, per capfriendly,  but with 6 QA's to fill.  Say 5 of them at +/- $1 mill, plus Jake at whatever.

Even consigning LE and SB to Utica won't create enough room even to sign Tanev, let alone upgrade plus Toffee

more like 10 with Loui and Baer in the minors. But not a lot left. 

2 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

?????????? Guy vegas was willing to give up picks to offload MAF at 50% retained

No. 

I believe that Vegas wanted a 2nd team to take 50% retention for picks.  And the primary trade partner would get MAF for 3.5M for 2 yrs.

Vegas wanted no retention of MAF cap hit.  And no one team was willing to accept all of MAF cap hit.

4 minutes ago, brownky said:

Washington didn't have Ian Clark as a goalie coach either.

The goalie whisperer. I guess that'll put the theory to the test. Can he take a goalie clearly trending downwards and 'getting older' and bring him back?

Need to worry about our defense first, without Tan Man we get worse.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Horvat is a Boss said:

Well yeah.

They felt that they could get younger and/or cheaper players to step in to those roles. They signed Dowd for peanuts and they have Samsonov in net. They didn't feel that any extra value that the vets brought was worth their cap hit. 

The word was that the Capitals were cash strapped, and were very sad to let Beagle go. That was what happened at the time, but it's fun to see people rewriting history. Nothing personal but that's what I see people doing.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Probably a reason why we got him too.

Ian Clarke.

Exactly.

If Clarke sees something he can work with then I'm not going to argue with him. I'm just saying looking purely at the contract, it seems a little expensive given his level of play recently. Again, the term is a major win though.