The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Braden Holtby

4 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

Meme Phone GIFJust got off the phone with Jimbo and can confirm that Jay Beagle will pick up Holtby from YVR.  Most likely gonna wait for him at that Petro gas station.

I wonder if Beags had any part in his acquisition.  via suggesting to benning or convincing Holtby to come to van.

Edited by Rush17

1 minute ago, BPA said:

No. 

I believe that Vegas wanted a 2nd team to take 50% retention for picks.  And the primary trade partner would get MAF for 3.5M for 2 yrs.

Vegas wanted no retention of MAF cap hit.  And no one team was willing to accept all of MAF cap hit.

Screw Vegas. Let them burn. They had their way with the league during the expansion draft. People don’t forget. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Benning showing some serious Bellichuck stones this morning.  Great to see him walk away instead of caving.  Gonna miss Marky, though.  Was the heart of this team for the last couple of years and picked us up off the floor of the league.  But you have to look forward, and this is a great, great move.

• Cheers 2

Really like this signing! Love the term and the fact that he can be exposed in the expansion draft. I also love the fact that, unlike Markstrom, we shouldn't feel obligated by giving him majority of the starts. Should be a great mentor for demko as well. 

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

The word was that the Capitals were cash strapped, and were very sad to let Beagle go. That was what happened at the time, but it's fun to see people rewriting history. Nothing personal but that's what I see people doing.

I'm not going to turn this into a Beagle discussion. Washington preferred Dowd at 750k over Beagle at 3M and that's the bottom line. 

3 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

Wow.  Never thought we'd walk from Marky.  I'm devastated.

Think to the future. You look really think he was going to be the same goalie at 35 or 36? We also save cap in the meantime.

Sad to see Marky go too, but this may end up the right decision.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Camel Toe Drag said:

You’re just gunna assume Petey, Huggy, Brock and Bo don’t take steps forward?

Was talking specifically the defense. And I'm not against bringing TanMan back, just pointing out its status-quo. 

1 minute ago, b3. said:

We do improve with Stecher leaving tho!

I don't think Stech was that bad on the third pair. Depends who his replacement is. 

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

I wonder if Beags had any part in his acquisition.  via suggesting to benning or convincing Holtby to come to van.

I doubt he needed much convincing at 4.3mill but reports few days ago were that Vancouver was #1 on his list. I’m sure Beags and Holtby had a conversation.

Happy with this, means we have to move on from marky but getting him at a good cost would have been having our cake, realistically this makes sense both in the player, the cap and the term and fits perfectly with the view that our window really opens in 2 years