The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Braden Holtby | #49 | G

-SN-

15 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

That's a huge commitment....tortoises can live 80 years+

But good on them for being so attached to their family members...all pets should have it so good.

I don't think we'll be seeing a lot of drama out of this family, I like this guy even more now ^_^

• Vintage 1

On 10/10/2020 at 2:45 AM, Yung1 said:

Anyone have any insight on what his demise has been the past few years? Seems he didnt even have that great a year when he won a cup. Did it have something to do with the style of hockey the Caps played in front of him? Is he slowing down? Will a decreased workload help him? He's only 31... Seems a bit early for him to fall off a cliff. What's the deal?

The Capitals are not known as a defensive team.

10 minutes ago, smokes said:

The Capitals are not known as a defensive team.

Also Trotz and perhaps more importantly, his goalie coach Mitch Korn, left for the NYI's.

Thankfully we also have one of the best goalie coaches in the world on staff in Ian Clark.

7 hours ago, aGENT said:

Also Trotz and perhaps more importantly, his goalie coach Mitch Korn, left for the NYI's.

Thankfully we also have one of the best goalie coaches in the world on staff in Ian Clark.

Ironically it’s said that Holtby was not on Ian’s list of desired goaltenders.

Edited by #Canucks

4 minutes ago, #Canucks said:

Kevin Woodley said this. He’s a credible NHL correspondent.

I'd be interested to know in what context though...? 

Can't imagine they would have signed him without consulting and some level of approval from Clark.

Edited by aGENT

3 hours ago, #Canucks said:

This is what I have. I was discussed in our forums.

ED0AF7C3-BC27-41BE-BAEC-3E95FFDB0A8C.jpeg

7EF9989C-243E-43A4-97D6-AD9A534C90EB.jpeg

Well that says that he wasn't desired by Clark or Vancouver. At least one of which is apparently not true. Also says he wants term... Which he was evidently quick to change his mind about (or wasn't true).

Seems like it was more baseless hearsay given what actually happened...

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Well that says that he wasn't desired by Clark or Vancouver. At least one of which is apparently not true. Also says he wants term... Which he was evidently quick to change his mind about (or wasn't true).

Seems like it was more baseless hearsay given what actually happened...

You can definitely look at it that way. Nothing wrong with that. I choose to see it as Ian probably did not have Holtby in his top 3-5 goalies in FA but I would like to assume given Holtby’s contract; make him look good and ship him off next year in the expansion draft & let’s see what we got in Demko with some insurance kind of move.

• Cheers 1

On 10/9/2020 at 10:32 AM, peaches5 said:

He still has a lot of potential to turn his game around. I'd rather take a chance on Holtby finding his form again than have signed Markstrom to 6m+ for 5+ years. 

Unfortunately, we could not afford Markstrom anymore, remembering when he passed through waivers, the patience and willingness of the Canucks and Marky paid off

Do You think the Capitals made a mistake letting Holtby go with his 2 yrs at $8.6 and getting Henrik Lundqvist for 1 yr at 1.5?

What would have been the reaction if we had signed Ludqvist?

2 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Unfortunately, we could not afford Markstrom anymore, remembering when he passed through waivers, the patience and willingness of the Canucks and Marky paid off

Do You think the Capitals made a mistake letting Holtby go with his 2 yrs at $8.6 and getting Henrik Lundqvist for 1 yr at 1.5?

What would have been the reaction if we had signed Ludqvist?

Lundqvist would have been a good mentor too, especially since he's a very competitive guy and would probably push Demko that way.

I'm fine with either, even if I did find Holtby to be a bit expensive at first, he's a great character guy and has won a cup.

For Washington, it was more of a way to flip the page for their new starter, while also picking up some capable new leadership to be a fallback.

• 3 weeks later...

Pettersson said on Twitch today that in a practice yesterday Holtby played well and even made a stick save on him reminiscent of the Game 2 save vs Vegas.

As far as I remember he said Holtby/Demko/Myers/Mac/Him and a couple more I forget were practicing. Schmidt isn't in Vancouver when asked if he had met him yet.

41 minutes ago, IRR said:

New mask! Love it!! 

FB_IMG_1607721057244.jpg

It’s beautiful work, but I fully expect a cultural appropriation uproar in the coming days. And not without reason. I expect everyone involved has the best intentions, but I’m not sure a Swedish artist based in Sweden was the best choice for creating a Thunderbird based mask.

Especially for a white hockey player playing in the region that is home to First Nations for whom these are sacred images. And also a city and region where you’re basically spoiled for choice, when it comes to Indigenous artists who could easily have created the same, or better, artwork.

Not saying I want there to be a controversy. Just that I fully expect one, and definitely won’t say that’s it’s wrong if certain people are upset by this kind of use of First Nations cultural symbols.

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It’s beautiful work, but I fully expect a cultural appropriation uproar in the coming days. And not without reason. I expect everyone involved has the best intentions, but I’m not sure a Swedish artist based in Sweden was the best choice for creating a Thunderbird based mask.

Especially for a white hockey player playing in the region that is home to First Nations for whom these are sacred images. And also a city and region where you’re basically spoiled for choice, when it comes to Indigenous artists who could easily have created the same, or better, artwork.

Not saying I want there to be a controversy. Just that I fully expect one, and definitely won’t say that’s it’s wrong if certain people are upset by this kind of use of First Nations cultural symbols.

All fair / valid points, but maybe??? we need to appreciate it for the beautiful piece of art it is instead of turning it into something else that it doesn't need to be. I think that may be the problem these days...picking the wrong battles / creating the wrong issues. Def not saying you're wrong or that what i'm saying is the right way to look at it...i'm really not sure anymore. At this point i like it for what it is...but if goes deeper than that, then i may have to re-evaluate / re-think things. Maybe i'm just tired of all the issues these days as well...it's been tough to navigate things lately! 

Edited by IRR
  • Cheers 1