The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Braden Holtby | #49 | G

-SN-

1 hour ago, DontMessMe said:

Im guessing when he reaches his potential, he will be inferior to demko?

Probably too early to say I'd guess. Demko's already shown some pretty high highs, so Dipietro already has a ways to go. I wouldn't likely say it's impossible that Dipietro could be as good though.

• Cheers 2

Gonna bet that if Holtby isn't claimed by the Kraken in the ED, he's a buy-out candidate -- $500k in 2021-22 and $1.9M in 2022-23. 

Others who should be bought out:

Loui Eriksson -- $4.0M in 2021-22 and $1.0M in 2022-23

Antoine Roussel -- $1.733M in 2021-22 and $633K in 2022-23

Jake Virtanen -- $50K in 2021-22 and $500K in 2022-23

With Luongo's cap $3.04M recapture hit, dead cap space for the Canucks:

2021-22: $8.9M (rounded up); if Loui isn't bought out: $9.8M - leaves the team with $71.7M to to $72.6M

2022-23: $2.2M (rounded up); if Loui isn't bought out: $1.2M

Leaves Canucks with:

2021-22: $71.7M to $72.6M (depending on whether Loui is bought out or not)

2022-23: $79.3M to $80.3M (depending on whether Loui is bought out or not)

Best scenario is Loui retires, bumping up cap space $6.0M

Leaves plenty of money to:

Re-Sign Petterson 3 x $7.0M

Re-Sign Hughes 3 x $7.0M

Re-Sign Hamonic 2 x $3.0M

Re-Sign Edler 1 x 1.0M (plus bonuses)

Re-Sign Sutter 2 x $2.0M (cap hit will still be $3.0M as I suspect he would take Beagle's cap hit on the roster if he returns).

This would leave Canucks with about $6.6M to go get a veteran second line winger and/or defenceman via UFA/trade.

6 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Gonna bet that if Holtby isn't claimed by the Kraken in the ED, he's a buy-out candidate -- $500k in 2021-22 and $1.9M in 2022-23. 

Others who should be bought out:

Loui Eriksson -- $4.0M in 2021-22 and $1.0M in 2022-23

Antoine Roussel -- $1.733M in 2021-22 and $633K in 2022-23

Jake Virtanen -- $50K in 2021-22 and $500K in 2022-23

With Luongo's cap $3.04M recapture hit, dead cap space for the Canucks:

2021-22: $8.9M (rounded up); if Loui isn't bought out: $9.8M - leaves the team with $71.7M to to $72.6M

2022-23: $2.2M (rounded up); if Loui isn't bought out: $1.2M

Leaves Canucks with:

2021-22: $71.7M to $72.6M (depending on whether Loui is bought out or not)

2022-23: $79.3M to $80.3M (depending on whether Loui is bought out or not)

Best scenario is Loui retires, bumping up cap space $6.0M

Leaves plenty of money to:

Re-Sign Petterson 3 x $7.0M

Re-Sign Hughes 3 x $7.0M

Re-Sign Hamonic 2 x $3.0M

Re-Sign Edler 1 x 1.0M (plus bonuses)

Re-Sign Sutter 2 x $2.0M (cap hit will still be $3.0M as I suspect he would take Beagle's cap hit on the roster if he returns).

This would leave Canucks with about $6.6M to go get a veteran second line winger and/or defenceman via UFA/trade.

You can bury LE for a cap hit of 4.875 and AR for 1.875 respectively not sure an extra 1Mish cap for the buy outs is worth it especially the 100ish k extra for AR, same story for Jay Beagle 

The only buyouts worth the cap returns are Holtby and JV but the reality is you are just going to spend the cap return from Holtby on a backup so may as well keep him and not eat the 1.9 M dead cap for Holtby next year 

I see LE getting bought out purely because it costs the Aquamen less real dollars than burying him in the minors but honestly if he doesn’t retire he deserves to be buried as he’s totally out exchange on the 33M he’ll have received after his 21-22 signing bonus 

Personally the Canucks are spewing bs in my mind, even with the potential buyouts and LTIR relief next year they’ll struggle to even tread water compared to the team the start with this year.  The only buy outs that make sense to me are JV assuming he’s not movable due to his miss adventures and LE because it actually saves the Aquamen real money if he just going to play up the valley but these moves have nothing to do with freeing Cap space they are financially and face saving driven but they’ll sell it to the fans as spending money to get better

Edited by bbllpp
Sp

3 hours ago, bbllpp said:Personally the Canucks are spewing bs in my mind, even with the potential buyouts and LTIR relief next year they’ll struggle to even tread water compared to the team the start with this year.  The only buy outs that make sense to me are JV assuming he’s not movable due to his miss adventures and LE because it actually saves the Aquamen real money if he just going to play up the valley but these moves have nothing to do with freeing Cap space they are financially and face saving driven but they’ll sell it to the fans as spending money to get better

This year was a mess with no real preseason, Miller missing the first couple weeks, COVID hitting.

Combine that with the kids getting a little better, a little more chemistry, and playing ALL teams (not just Canadian teams) they will have a MUCH better season. Unless something unfortunate and unexpected happens, they’ll do better.

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, NorthWestNuck said:

This year was a mess with no real preseason, Miller missing the first couple weeks, COVID hitting.

Combine that with the kids getting a little better, a little more chemistry, and playing ALL teams (not just Canadian teams) they will have a MUCH better season. Unless something unfortunate and unexpected happens, they’ll do better.

Don’t disagree but there is a difference between being a lot better and being good enough.  Playing in the Pacific with fair schedule and a proper training camp the Canucks would be in the playoffs right now.

However, Hughes and Petey will take all the money freed up by Sutter and Edler and both need upgrades to be better.  The Canucks start at 14.9 M Cap with only Schmidt, Myers and Rathbone under contract on the back end and no realistic option for 3rd line center other than Miller.  Chatfield-Juolevi is a very realistic bottom pairing for next year.  Furthermore the entire bottom six is a hot mess that needs a complete overhaul but again there is no money so the plugs like those we’ve been watching since Roussel, Beagle and Sutter went down is also vert realistic.

Michael Ferland being ready would actually be a disaster as that 3.5 M is needed to even pay the 5 plugs required to fill out the bottom six and the 5-7th D spots (think OJ, plug 1 (Chatfield?) and plug 2 (Doubt Edler signs for less than 2 M as he’d get at least 3 on the open market, could sign in Seattle if wanted and not move if he wanted)

Buying out JV could give us the money it takes to re-sign Hamonic which is a must as he seems willing to sign team friendly deals and would cost much more to replace from the open market 

As I said previously buying out the others makes no real sense from a cap strategy point of view because Holtby savings go to a back up goalie anyway at the expense of 1.9 M in 22-23 and LE only gives an extra 0.875 k in 21-22 at a cost of 1M in 22-23 but could see this one given that it saves ownership 1M in real money vs playing him in minors for a year

Beagle actually saves the team more cap in 21-22 in the minors vs buyout  and a Roussel buyout give just over an extra 100k vs burying him in the minors

Hogs-EP-BB

Pearson-Horvat-Podz (ELC)

Motte-Miller-Plug1

Roussel-Plug2-Plug3

Plug4, Plug 5

(pencil in Highmore, Lind, BigMack, etc... in the plug spots but a lot of ifs there)

Beagle and Ferland on LTIR 

QH-TH

JR-NS

OJ-TM

plug6

That D is scary, so many question marks

This team is a step back from this year and certainly a step back from 20-21.  Lots of ifs to be good enough in my mind.

JB can buyout Holtby and run with a plug back-up for the sake of paying for a couple 2M plugs vs 1M plugs but poor asset/cap management and over paying plugs has put the Canucks in their current predicament in the first place.

Owners have spent to and above the cap for years, now they “are willing to open the purse strings” is all smoke and mirrors PR BS to me.  JV will be bought out if they cannot get rid of him in any other way and a LE buy out is purely a cash driven thing because it’s bad management in my mind, just bury him. 

I can't see any way he is back next year.  The cost of buying him out and replacing him vs keeping him should be pretty even.  At least then we have a chance to land a serviceable backup.  Holtby was atrocious this year aside from 2 or 3 games.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Why is Holtby down here when he is a favourite target for expansion.  

With Demko solid, Mikey blooming, Hotlby leaving saves a ton of cap and also ends the next goal tending conflict in its tracks… heck Ian Clark long term, the organization is really positive in Silvos… 

if we don’t lose Holtby, we are doomed to endless goaltender controversy media rumours all season.   

4 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Why is Holtby down here when he is a favourite target for expansion.  

With Demko solid, Mikey blooming, Hotlby leaving saves a ton of cap and also ends the next goal tending conflict in its tracks… heck Ian Clark long term, the organization is really positive in Silvos… 

if we don’t lose Holtby, we are doomed to endless goaltender controversy media rumours all season.   

Stop following the media and eventually we will get something decent. 

10 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Seattle looking at Holtby, but some other teams have kicked tires on Holtby.

I'd love to offload him and sign a cheaper backup. I'm confident that Demko can take the reigns now without a veteran backup.

• Vintage 3

4 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'd love to offload him and sign a cheaper backup. I'm confident that Demko can take the reigns now without a veteran backup.

If the sweetener to take Holtby was a prospect like Lind should we do that?  

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

nah. Give them nothing. 

Then they just take Lind and we keep Holtby for his final year?  I’m thinking whomever they ask for as sweetener would be the guy they would select anyway, so why not dump Holtby’s contract?  Sign a 2 mil backup, and save 2 on the cap.  Buy out Jake, and that’s 4 mil.  Might get a very good third line centre fir that.  My head is spinning; I need a belt.  

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Then they just take Lind and we keep Holtby for his final year?  I’m thinking whomever they ask for as sweetener would be the guy they would select anyway, so why not dump Holtby’s contract?  Sign a 2 mil backup, and save 2 on the cap.  Buy out Jake, and that’s 4 mil.  Might get a very good third line centre fir that.  My head is spinning; I need a belt.  

post-expansion I think we'll have takers for Holtby. So we lose Lind but maybe recover a 3rd from Boston, e.g. for Holtby.

Or we just keep him and have a solid tandem to run with. We don't need to dump Holtby at all. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill