The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames sign Jacob Markstrom

12 hours ago, Provost said:

Yikes, how fragile do you have to be as a fan to not be able to admit a player from another team is playing better even when objective reality shows they are?

.942 save %, 1.65 goals against, 4 shutouts in 9 games.

vs.

.918 save %, 2.59 goals against, 0 shutouts in 10 games.

One gets you Vezina votes… the other one is middle of the pack.

No, its that we are admitting our defense and defensive structures suck compared to Calgary's and that if you traded the goalies the numbers would likely be reversed. How fragile do you have to be to pretend the two goalies are operating under comparable circumstances. 

Even if Markstrom wins the Vezina this year and is the better goalie this year, it was still the right decision to go with Demko. Demko is proving he is a top end goalie. Demko has a lot more years at this level (and maybe higher) than Markstrom and fits our winning window way better. 

• Cheers 1

People in Alberta were mocking the Loungo and Schneider trades and said we would struggle in net from now on. Its true that Marky struggled in his first stint here. Pucks got through him. The guys at TSN 1260 in Edmonton said he is simply not an NHL goalie in a text war I had with them.  But somehow me got his career back on track and now he's playing on an Alberta team. :)

Mike Gillis was kinda playing with fire honestly. We got rid of thing 1 and thing 2 for Eddy Lack.

6 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I can watch the Flames and smile when I see Marky or Tanev make a play. They were great Canucks. That said I don't have a problem that JB moved on. He went younger and had to do that considering the money they would have asked for along with the term. 

My biggest issue was that both the left the Canucks for nothing. A Vezina goal tender left for nothing back. That's hard to take. 

Is there a way we could have got something for his rights to negotiation just before FA ?

It hurts a bit less that we bought low on Markstrom. It looked like he was busting when we got him. Pierre Mcguire said the trade was grand larceny and he was still right about Marky in the end.

Edited by MaxVerstappen33

23 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Is there a way we could have got something for his rights to negotiation just before FA ?

It hurts a bit less that we bought low on Markstrom. It looked like he was busting when we got him. Pierre Mcguire said the trade was grand larceny and he was still right about Marky in the end.

I don't think rights themselves are all that valuable, seeing as the player can still elect to go to FA regardless of who his rights belong to.

The real value Marky brought to us in the end was allowing us to properly insulate Demko until he was ready to take the reigns, which is why trading him prematurely could have wound up being a bad move for us regardless of the return.

• Cheers 1

On 11/7/2021 at 2:16 AM, Warhawk said:

Imagine handing your rival Matt Tkachuk, Rasmus Anderson,  Chris Tanev and Jacob Markstrom

This is silly, we didn't hand Calgary $&!#.

Markstrom and Tanev left as free agents, let's not pretend other teams don't lose players to free agency. Hell, the Hurricanes lost Dougie &^@#ing Hamilton to New Jersey. The Markstrom bit has been beaten to death, we were never going to be able to keep both him and Demko and we made the right call letting Markstrom walk. Demko's deal is better, and he's significantly younger, his being younger is especially important going forward. All the best to Markstrom, but we didn't hand Calgary $&!#. He chose to walk, so did Tanev. 

Could management have handled the Tanev bit better? Certainly, but I and many others didn't have an issue with him walking at the time. He'd never been durable in Vancouver, and there were questions regarding how his game would age and people balking at the contract he got. I was fine with him leaving then, I'm fine with him leaving now. He's been durable for Calgary thus far, we'll see how long that lasts. 

Either player could have gone to any team, they exercised their rights as free agents and chose Calgary. We didn't hand them to Calgary, that's ridiculous. 

As for Anderson, there's no guarantee he'd have been at our slot had we kept the pick. At the time we got a useful player, and for a short time he was considered fair value. Things obviously didn't work out for Baer here, but we didn't hand Calgary Anderson, we gave them a lottery ticket. 

Could we have taken Tkachuk? Yeah, but we didn't. At the time it was considered a good pick. We didn't hand Calgary a player, we simply chose a different player we felt fit the organization better for whatever reason. Obviously Juolevi's had injuries that have derailed his development and Tkachuk has gone on to have success as a top six player, but they were in the same ballpark as prospects at the draft. Brian Burke sure knew a helluva lot more about either player than any fan pundit.

Edited by Coconuts

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

This is silly, we didn't hand Calgary $&!#.

Markstrom and Tanev left as free agents, let's not pretend other teams don't lose players to free agency. Hell, the Hurricanes lost Dougie &^@#ing Hamilton to New Jersey. The Markstrom bit has been beaten to death, we were never going to be able to keep both him and Demko and we made the right call letting Markstrom walk. Demko's deal is better, and he's significantly younger, his being younger is especially important going forward. All the best to Markstrom, but we didn't hand Calgary $&!#. He chose to walk, so did Tanev. 

Could management have handled the Tanev bit better? Certainly, but I and many others didn't have an issue with him walking at the time. He'd never been durable in Vancouver, and there were questions regarding how his game would age and people balking at the contract he got. I was fine with him leaving then, I'm fine with him leaving now. He's been durable for Calgary thus far, we'll see how long that lasts. 

Either player could have gone to any team, they exercised their rights as free agents and chose Calgary. We didn't hand them to Calgary, that's ridiculous. 

As for Anderson, there's no guarantee he'd have been at our slot had we kept the pick. At the time we got a useful player, and for a short time he was considered fair value. Things obviously didn't work out for Baer here, but we didn't hand Calgary Anderson, we gave them a lottery ticket. 

Could we have taken Tkachuk? Yeah, but we didn't. At the time it was considered a good pick. We didn't hand Calgary a player, we simply chose a different player we felt fit the organization better for whatever reason. Obviously Juolevi's had injuries that have derailed his development and Tkachuk has gone on to have success as a top six player, but they were in the same ballpark as prospects at the draft. Brian Burke sure knew a helluva lot more about either player than any fan pundit.

I'll give you the Markstrom one.  Tanev should and could of been moved prior and maybe the outcome of where he chose to sign would of been different and at least we would of got something for him, Tkachuk was the obvious pick and we botched it, we gave away a 2nd round pick and got little to nothing back so yes we did hand over Andersson.  Either way it's painful to watch right now

Edited by Warhawk

On 11/8/2021 at 3:04 PM, Tower102 said:

Markstrom was gone by last year, and injured in his last year under contract. 

Why do Canuck fans pretend we are the only team that ever loses players to free agency. 

Island mentality.

• Vintage 1

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Doesn’t modern coaches like Green have ”Sutter’s” system up his sleeve with a dozen other systems to change the game depending how the game develops?

Knowledge vs knowing how to use it; and good chance, coaches have there go to strategy and there backups depending on what the opposite side is doing.  So far, Green has demonstrated he has no situational awareness or doesn't have a clue what the word adjustment means cause outside of line blending, he has no other strategy - and his overall record confirms that he is a mediocre coach, at best.  

4 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Doesn’t modern coaches like Green have ”Sutter’s” system up his sleeve with a dozen other systems to change the game depending how the game develops?

Even if he's got an understanding of a system that doesn't mean he's capable of implementing it effectively or knowing the sort of players he needs for it, Sutter won two cups within three years in LA with while Green's proven squat