The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames sign Jacob Markstrom

I think it will just simply come down to term and moderate amounts of $.  Canucks did just sign Holtby to a decent deal for a very short amount of time.  This gives a great chance for Demko to slide in to the #1 position.

With Markstrom having some injuries in the past and on the north side of players age he was probably looking for a near retirement contract which would have pushed Demko out the door.  While I don't know if Demko has what it takes to be a 60 game starter yet.  I do know that a 5+ year contract with Markstrom would have essentially sunk the chances of both Demko and DiPietro.

Plus...the teams new core know how to light Marky up and I expect them to take full advantage of it

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Damn right. Screw him, can't wait to see the waves of mediocrity wash over him with no Clarke to throw him a life preserver..muahahaha, muahahaha!

Love how suddenly its all Ian Clarke. Reality is hes a great G and if he sinks its because of the crap put around him.

We lost a good goalie. And understandably so. He deserves every cent he gets, but suddenly turning on him is just silly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, swizzey said:

If true, that would be horrible.

Also, if he left just for one extra year and no more AAV, then the guy can go screw himself and I hope he is terrible there.

If the guy cashed in, good on him.  If he wasn’t willing to do any discount at all for here then good riddance.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

I wish him luck unless it impacts us directly.  Problem is it took him 6 years to get to the point he is at now, and I can imagine there could be regression soon.  It's great to have our goalie of the future (Demko) ready to go with another great goalie on a short term deal as insurance.  To be honest this just works for everyone.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

JB was pretty mum about Demko immediately after the playoffs and he said something like he was going to talk to Ian Clarke about the goaltending situation next year and then 3-4 days later after talking to Clarke he made it clear Demko was the future... To me that says that Ian Clarke made it clear that Demko was the goalie to go forward with. If Ian Clarke wanted Demko over Markstrom that tells you all you need to know.

Edited by peaches5
  • Like 2
  • Vintage 2

17 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

What 4x4.5, we could have easily matched that.

But we offer that and his response is take his chances in free agency. That doesn't mean he'll get more, as we see what he ended up with, and maybe he even got trade protection.

I trust in JB on this one, he must have had some red flags and an NMC or anything over 5.5M were surely two of them.

Covid and Seattle sadly really play into this but Holtby is just what we need - save some cap, expose him as a goalie and all about the Demko train, sign a UFA to back him up in 2 years time. 

• Thanks 1

Sucks to lose another top player (MVP) for nothing.  Losing him given the circumstances is understandable.  Losing him for nothing stinks.  I'm happy Demko wasn't given away for another $8M/yr salary though.  If JB strengthens the D in a big way in the offseason, this will all be forgotten.  Signing Pietrangelo and keeping Tanev would sure hit the spot right now.