Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Canucks & Sens


Recommended Posts

This is a variation of an older idea. In these COVID times, I'd imagine Melnyk would be ecstatic. Would our owners take this plunge?..who knows?

 

Incoming: about 42 mill expenditure.   Outgoing: prob 8-10 mill(pending Ferlie's insurance coverage possibility)

 

Ottawa: Colin White & Zaitsev. They add Logan Brown, or Brannstrom?

Van: LouiEriksson & Ferland. Perhaps add Virtanen?

 

^The 2-player pkg's are both in the 9.5 mill AAV range

The difference is our contracts are shorter/LTIR'd, or hollowed out; whereas their's are real $ over a longer term. But that longer term brings us to(perhaps?) rising cap times, & beyond the ludicrous cap-recapture BS of Luongo.

 

If White doesn't regain form, he's the guy with the cheap 800k(x forever) buyout. At least these are two pieces we could use for the next couple yrs.

 

I'd imagine our fanbase would rather place hopes on a Logan Brown type fulfilling promise, as opposed to waiting for a Virtanen to ever reach near his potential ? Younger & bigger too. Both players could prob nestle well within the opposite lineups. We get the better piece, due to the obscenely imbalanced cash commitment in the overall deal.

 

The kicker/incentive for Ottawa? Melnyk gets almost 10 mill closer to the floor, perhaps only committing 2,000,000(next yr) towards that actual number. Yes(for those who point it out) I know he has more players to sign. But maybe it's all youth? Maybe he gets to 62, 63 mill, but really has to spend only about 50,000,000(Gaborik, LouiE, Ferly, etc...) creating his paper tiger.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

This is a variation of an older idea. In these COVID times, I'd imagine Melnyk would be ecstatic. Would our owners take this plunge?..who knows?

 

Incoming: about 42 mill expenditure.   Outgoing: prob 8-10 mill(pending Ferlie's insurance coverage possibility)

 

Ottawa: Colin White & Zaitsev. They add Logan Brown, or Brannstrom?

Van: LouiEriksson & Ferland. Perhaps add Virtanen?

 

^The 2-player pkg's are both in the 9.5 mill AAV range

The difference is our contracts are shorter/LTIR'd, or hollowed out; whereas their's are real $ over a longer term. But that longer term brings us to(perhaps?) rising cap times, & beyond the ludicrous cap-recapture BS of Luongo.

 

If White doesn't regain form, he's the guy with the cheap 800k(x forever) buyout. At least these are two pieces we could use for the next couple yrs.

 

I'd imagine our fanbase would rather place hopes on a Logan Brown type fulfilling promise, as opposed to waiting for a Virtanen to ever reach near his potential ? Younger & bigger too. Both players could prob nestle well within the opposite lineups. We get the better piece, due to the obscenely imbalanced cash commitment in the overall deal.

 

The kicker/incentive for Ottawa? Melnyk gets almost 10 mill closer to the floor, perhaps only committing 2,000,000(next yr) towards that actual number. Yes(for those who point it out) I know he has more players to sign. But maybe it's all youth? Maybe he gets to 62, 63 mill, but really has to spend only about 50,000,000(Gaborik, LouiE, Ferly, etc...) creating his paper tiger.

No reason to move Ferland. Doesn't hurt us at this point.

 

Completely open to any idea that gets LE off our books though.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Phil_314 said:

If they take Loui and either Beagle or Roussel, I'd probably do it.  

Yeah..it's a notion. But gotta' admit, our rhD side would potentially be a disaster. You whittle 6 down to 4.5 mill(the boat anchor), but then can you manage a further move?

 

Suddenly we're hoping the Dopey Giraffe can become Doug Harvey...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Ottawa added $10m in cap today. They’re sitting at $52m with only 15 players signed. They can bath in hunt and pick up good players st a discount to easily hit the cap floor.  They in no way need to pay to take on Vancouvers  crap 

It's not necc about the floor for Melnyk. He's more interested in a false floor..as in, "How many dollars can I spend under 60 mill, yet still satisfy their minimum required number?"

 

Don't you think he'd be pleased to be at say, 62 mill, yet only actually coughing up 52 mill? Front-loaded contracts, insurance covered LTIR's..whatever. It still counts as AAV, but I'm sure he doesn't give a shyte about that number.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

It's not necc about the floor for Melnyk. He's more interested in a false floor..as in, "How many dollars can I spend under 60 mill, yet still satisfy their minimum required number?"

 

Don't you think he'd be pleased to be at say, 62 mill, yet only actually coughing up 52 mill? Front-loaded contracts, insurance covered LTIR's..whatever. It still counts as AAV, but I'm sure he doesn't give a shyte about that number.

They need to sign at least 6 players and only need $8m to hit the floor.  They’re going to easily hit the floor without taking in an albatross contract       
 

They only need to spend an average of $1.3m on each of the 6 players they need to have standard lineup.  If they sign 23 players they only need to spend $1m on each. 
 

BUT..... They just signed Murray to a 4 year $6.25m per contract.  Does that seem

like the action of a GM that’s trying to just get to the floor?   Perhaps they recognize they have an opportunity to actually start being good again. 
 

They’ve picked up a ton of talent in the draft and are uniquely positioned to get talented players from other teams on the cheap.  They don’t need to artificially get to the floor.  
 

The window for dumping Eriksson on them

has passed.  His contract holds no value to them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

They need to sign at least 6 players and only need $8m to hit the floor.  They’re going to easily hit the floor without taking in an albatross contract       
 

They only need to spend an average of $1.3m on each of the 6 players they need to have standard lineup.  If they sign 23 players they only need to spend $1m on each. 
 

BUT..... They just signed Murray to a 4 year $6.25m per contract.  Does that seem

like the action of a GM that’s trying to just get to the floor?   Perhaps they recognize they have an opportunity to actually start being good again. 
 

They’ve picked up a ton of talent in the draft and are uniquely positioned to get talented players from other teams on the cheap.  They don’t need to artificially get to the floor.  
 

The window for dumping Eriksson on them

has passed.  His contract holds no value to them. 

I doubt they've raised sails & are charting a new course. With the COVID-crash, I still expect EM will be penny-pinching.

 

You're right, that this is a golden opp for a well-heeled owner to spend(if he has space).

We'll just have to kick back & see what transpires in the coming wks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I doubt they've raised sails & are charting a new course. With the COVID-crash, I still expect EM will be penny-pinching.

 

You're right, that this is a golden opp for a well-heeled owner to spend(if he has space).

We'll just have to kick back & see what transpires in the coming wks.

Whether they are or aren’t, they still need 6-8 players to fill out their roster on are only $8m from the floor.  Even if they’re penny pinching (their signing of Murray suggests it’s far less a priority  than it has been in the past) they easily  hit the cap floor just signing competent players 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Whether they are or aren’t, they still need 6-8 players to fill out their roster on are only $8m from the floor.  Even if they’re penny pinching (their signing of Murray suggests it’s far less a priority  than it has been in the past) they easily  hit the cap floor just signing competent players 

Here's another aspect: I've read some HFOtt backers slagging White a bit. Fell off from his strong start to career. Now they don't know if he's competent for top-6, as he seems ill-suited for bottom-6.

 

at C: Stutzle, Norris, Tierney(RFA), Logan Brown, Chlapik, Pinto, etc...

So do they really wanna fulfill the 24 mill commitment they've made for White?(currently 4.75 AAV) It doesn't have to be the deal I've suggested, but it's easy to see where Melnyk might accept dumping this contract, & casting his lot with the C pipeline.

 

Easily a similar argument can be made with Zaitsev. This 9-10 mill AAV on them two, could be switched into shorter commitments, as they prepare for superior prospects arriving.

 

It's more of a $/term thing, where they might want to shift more cash-commitment to the young wave that's coming.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If there were some way to pry Batherson out of Ottawa, then I think that would be great for the Canucks.

 

The only way I see Ottawa being interested in a deal with the Canucks at this point is if they think highly of guys like Gaudette and/or Virtanen.  The Canucks might be able to add a contract like Sutter's and/or Benn's (perhaps with some retention) in that case since both end after this year and both can still be useful players (which is also a reason why the Canucks may not be in a hurry to move those contracts).

 

After signing Dadonov, the Senators are in no danger of falling below the cap floor and they still have to re-sign Tierney and Connor Brown.  I suspect they may be exploring trade options either or both of them.  Brown was a decent depth player with the Leafs and had a productive year last year so I could see teams having an interest in him.  The main problem is whether teams can afford him (and, for the Senators, whether they want to pay him).

 

This might be a pipe dream, but if the Senators were willing to include a guy like Batherson with Tierney (considering also their recent draft haul), then I personally would be OK with a deal involving both of Gaudette and Virtanen for Tierney and Batherson where the Canucks also add Sutter and/or Benn with some retention on Sutter.  There could be other pieces included if it's unbalanced.

 

If the Canucks retain 1/2 of Sutter's contract, then the Senators basically get a 3rd line center for just over $2M which is probably far less than what Tierney could be due (if the Senators envision him as a middle 6 center).  Gaudette is less proven then Colin White but if the Senators like his potential and if White is trending down, then he's at a good age range to compete with White and grow with the Senators' core with a young group of excellent prospects incoming.  Virtanen might be an attractive option to play with Tkachuk (although Dadonov is probably currently pencilled in to play with Tkachuk).

 

I think Tierney could be a very good 3rd line center for the Canucks.  He has a history of success on the PK and he has two-way ability.  Having Tierney join the Canucks will give them more options on the PK as well as better 5-on-5 two-way ability.

 

Batherson is still a prospect but I have liked his game and given the fact he plays both C and RW, he could slot in on RW in the middle 6.  He's a bit of a step back in progress in terms of proven production at the NHL level compared to Gaudette, but he's got great potential and is under contract for $736,666K for this year.  That will help give the Canucks cap room to sign another forward or re-sign someone like Josh Leivo who is a solid mid-to-bottom 6 RW.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...