The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markstrom Appreciation Thread

Rate this topic

The Listening

51 minutes ago, IBatch said:

With apologies to Luongo he’d be my second or third pick...Some players elevated more then others - to me game one against the NYR was one of the best goalie performances I’ve ever seen ... Luongo vs Turco and three Demko games the others.   If McLean didn’t win for us, and we were for sure undeserving, no chance for us to settle down and realize we could beat these guys, no come back.   Luongo was awesome/still good for us  against Boston, two shutouts and we scored 7 goals or was it 8 in a seven game series, definitely not Cloutier bad in any games and more then did enough for us to win the series. Gets a bad rap.   Still stats are stats and McLeans sp went up .900- .925 or so, plus “the Save”, I’d have to go with peak McLean with one game on the line.

Yeah, and people forget but even after being swept by the Islanders, King Richard led the entire playoffs in SPCT.

Elevating the game come playoff time is where heroes rise.  As Mike Tyson would say...  I'm Alexander.  Trevor Linden, Kirk McLean, King Richard Brodeur, Dave Babych.  I'm from their cloth.  There's no one like me.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yeah, and people forget but even after being swept the Islanders, King Richard led the entire playoffs in SPCT.

Elevating the game come playoff time is where heroes rise.  As Mike Tyson would say...  I'm Alexander.  Trevor Linden, Kirk McLean, King Richard Brodeur, Dave Babych.  I'm from their cloth.  There's no one like me.

I wish I was old enough to truly appreciate that run, but can say Broduer was my favourite Canuck and remember how much fans loved him back then.  I did enjoy collecting all the stickers from that run and the entire league in the official NHL sticker book ha ha.   And was already a Babych fan given his cool mustache reminded me of one of my uncles ...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yeah, and people forget but even after being swept the Islanders, King Richard led the entire playoffs in SPCT.

Ronning ... and so far we can add Horvat for sure to that list and maybe even EP and QHs....it took the Sedins most of their careers to just translate their normal regular season peak into two runs.   Both EP and QHs managed more their first crack at it which bodes well for us.   Linden is the epitome ... Courtnall and Adams also had the “it” factor ...  Miller also looks to be cut from that same cloth... 

• Vintage 1

It was not that long ago that the word ‘beachball’ was used as a regular reference to Markstrom’s ability to stop a puck.  But he has certainly redeemed himself in spades at a time when we really needed it, helping give that taste of success to our younger players during a critical development period, and avoiding the losing mental culture in Edmonton for many years and Buffalo now,

He deserves his pay day, I am sure it was not about the money, it was about the term and entry draft, as many have said here before.  I just hope that we don’t make the same mistake as Chicago, Edmonton and a couple of other teams, and give half the cap to four players.  You really do need to have a balanced payroll, where we don’t erode the ‘middle class’ Role player players.

Good luck Markstrom in Calgary, they are lucky to have you!

37 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I wish I was old enough to truly appreciate that run, but can say Broduer was my favourite Canuck and remember how much fans loved him back then.  I did enjoy collecting all the stickers from that run and the entire league in the official NHL sticker book ha ha.   And was already a Babych fan given his cool mustache reminded me of one of my uncles ...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Damn, look at the look in King Richard's eyes in the bottom right.  Guy is focused.

33 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Ronning ... and so far we can add Horvat for sure to that list and maybe even EP and QHs....it took the Sedins most of their careers to just translate their normal regular season peak into two runs.   Both EP and QHs managed more their first crack at it which bodes well for us.   Linden is the epitome ... Courtnall and Adams also had the “it” factor ...  Miller also looks to be cut from that same cloth... 

Paul Reinhart.  Stan Smyl had 33 points in 34 career playoff games before going 0-for-7 in his final year as the "spiritual leader" like that old guy from the Arrested Development rap group.

06270bdd-f794-412f-8188-0ab56676cd48-GMT