The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames sign Christopher Tanev

Just now, kanucks25 said:

I'll reserve judgement until we see the final roster.

Just the problem here is that there's no UFA left that can replace what Tanev did for us. Barrie isn't the same type of player. So we'll have to pay something to replace him (trade).

Only guys available that could replace or bring more than Tanev are Savard who'd we have to trade for and Pietrangelo who'd we have to trade cap to get.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Was expecting Markstrom to go, but had my hopes up on Tanev, so this hurts a bit more.  But yeah, that is too rich a deal, so best to walk.  Hopefully Stetcher isn't too offended to re-sign because we need some help right about now.

Now we just need Toffolli to sign somewhere else for the trifecta.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Nope. Much worse actually.

At least if we sign Toffoli we can be good offensively, because right now our D is looking pretty thin.

In another thread I dared to say we aren’t as good on paper and likely to take a step back.... folks don’t want to believe it.

A lot of guys had career years last year, and our key players were healthy the whole year.  We got Vezina calibre goaltending.  Pretty much everything went right and we squeezed as much out of our roster as could be reasonably expected.

We swap the best goaltender in the league (based on expected goals Metrics and difficulty of shots) for what is probably going to be average or a little above average goaltending

We lose a steady veteran D and Stecher was one of our most efficient contract and great on the defensive side.

We are still looking to lose a top six winger on top of that.

Basically everyone who left was outplaying their contract value and we are left with a lot of guys who are the reverse of that.

I am not saying things can’t end up better next year, but the odds are pretty low.

Hopefully there is something up his sleeve, but so far our roster is worse on paper for sure.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

Only guys available that could replace or bring more than Tanev are Savard who'd we have to trade for and Pietrangelo who'd we have to trade cap to get.

Savard would surely be a decent get as long as we don't pay much as he has 1 year left on his contract.

Not even going to begin to get my hopes up on Pietrangelo.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Provost said:

In another thread I dared to say we aren’t as good on paper and likely to take a step back.... folks don’t want to believe it.

A lot of guys had career years last year, and our key players were healthy the whole year.  We got Vezina calibre goaltending.  Pretty much everything went right and we squeezed as much out of our roster as could be reasonably expected.

We swap the best goaltender in the league (based on expected goals Metrics and difficulty of shots) for what is probably going to be average or a little above average goaltending

We lose a steady veteran D and Stecher was one of our most efficient contract and great on the defensive side.

We are still looking to lose a top six winger on top of that.

Basically everyone who left was outplaying their contract value and we are left with a lot of guys who are the reverse of that.

I am not saying things can’t end up better next year, but the odds are pretty low.

Hopefully there is something up his sleeve, but so far our roster is worse on paper for sure.

Only way we could accommodate the loss of Marky was by adding 2 solid D. Gonna be hard to do that with the cap we have and harder to do that as the're getting taken.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Cheers 1

Ouch. New this may happen but it stings. Losing Tanev is one thing, but to the Flames. Ouch. JB may have to make a trade involving some pieces once hoped untouchable. If it's for the right dman it's all good. I say F it and offer sheet one of Cernak or Sergachev. 

Edited by rekker