The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames sign Christopher Tanev

2 minutes ago, Davathor said:

What? Aquabikini has been fine spending to the cap every year. We're pretty lucky actually. 

Up to now yes. But in a COVID world, maybe he wants to tighten up? 

As I said, it's just a mere speculation because Tanev at 4.5 was definitely a reasonable contract and yet, JB decided not to tender an offer. And it looks like we won't re-sign Toffoli either.

Two possibilities:

1) There is an internal cap or

2) We are clearing cap space for big name UFA?

Of course there is a third possibility that Canucks were so hooked on OEL that they didn't bother to care for Tanev's contract -- which I find hard to believe. 

Just now, khay said:

Up to now yes. But in a COVID world, maybe he wants to tighten up? 

As I said, it's just a mere speculation because Tanev at 4.5 was definitely a reasonable contract and yet, JB decided not to tender an offer. And it looks like we won't re-sign Toffoli either.

Two possibilities:

1) There is an internal cap or

2) We are clearing cap space for big name UFA?

Of course there is a third possibility that Canucks were so hooked on OEL that they didn't bother to care for Tanev's contract -- which I find hard to believe. 

Could also be saving money for next year, when the real cap crunch is with Petey/Hughes.

Good on Tanev to get his contract.  He was good player here and will do well in Calgary but unlike some I'm not worried about how or by whom he will be replaced.  There is still plenty of time of to sign UFAs or make trades for some Dman. 

Let other teams through term, money at players then when they've realised there mistakes let us come in and get a good replacement at a cheaper cost.   

Columbus apparently wants to move Savard, he has 1 yr left is more than a good replacement for Tanev.  He may come in cheap as it seems like Columbus wants to re-up PLD long term and go after AP. 

Washington may have 2 dman available for trade, Jensen who is equal to Tanev and Siegenthanler who is up and coming and young. FLA needs wingers and a centre and are inclined to move Weegar who again imo will be equal to Tanev next year. 

Then there is Vatanen who, not better defensively, is offensively as such not much difference there.

Buffalo has a RD available etc..   I just don't want Barrie, unless it's 2 yrs and around 3 and to play on the 3rd pairing and 2nd PP

Edited by KariyaSakicAnderson
  • Wat 1

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Debatable. Tanev, while a very shrewd and intelligent defenseman, was injury prone and spent half of every season as such. He had zero physicality and offered very little in the way of offense. 

Markstrom was exceptional, at times, and was a sieve at other times. He could be easily gotten off his game. 

While both players were great Canucks, they are far from irreplaceable. They’re gone. Forget about them. 

Seemed like every other game he would get horizontally checked against the boards. Tanev is one hit away from being in a wheelchair. 

He did a great job acclimating Hughes to the NHL but that job is done now. 

Watch Marky falter without Clarke and Holtby return to Vezina form working with him. 

• Cheers 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Not familiar with him.

Whats special about Savard?

This sums it up. Regular Season blocked shots. His term is favorable at one more year 4.25M. He's also a team leader and can do many things (multi-dimensional). Oh, and he's a righty.

Edit. He also hits.

bs.thumb.png.980f2ffe42525217dcb464018656b7a3.png

Edited by gizmo2337