The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames sign Christopher Tanev

1 minute ago, Brad Marchand said:

Actually agree with you on this one.

As much as it hurts from a sentimental perspective, having both Tanev and Myers locked in for another four years on the wrong side of 30 doesn't leave a ton of flexibility to improve the RHD position long-term. This also makes it slightly easier to bring back Stecher if they want.

The D with Stecher, struggled when pressured in the playoffs - past unless it is for a similar deal as Motte..

Just now, CanuckGAME said:

Doesn't matter.  Everyone knew at the time 6x6 for Louie was ridiculous.

Now we're watching key members of this team walk away for nothing.

We sat through a 7 year rebuild for what?  To watch the contributing members of this team walk so the plugs with their fat contracts stay?

Our D was a problem in the playoffs,  now look at it.  Its completely dismantled.  Signing a guy like Barrie over Tanev makes us worse.

It's the price we're paying with those anchor contracts of LE, Sutter, Beagle, Ferland, Roussel, etc..

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Gaudette Celly said:

What happened to all those complaining about Tanev being injured all the time and that we had to ditch him?  And if we're going to improve the D, how do we do that if we bring back the same players?

Yeah...it helps to have depth to chew up those injury laden minutes.

Just now, CanuckGAME said:

Doesn't matter.  Everyone knew at the time 6x6 for Louie was ridiculous.

Now we're watching key members of this team walk away for nothing.

We sat through a 7 year rebuild for what?  To watch the contributing members of this team walk so the plugs with their fat contracts stay?

Our D was a problem in the playoffs,  now look at it.  Its completely dismantled.  Signing a guy like Barrie over Tanev makes us worse.

Oh, come on, go back to the Loui signing thread and look yourself that your first statement is just not true. Everyone hindsight is 20/20...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, BarnBurner said:

BS. In this day and age  you really have to watch your dollars. 

As much I appreciate both Tanev and Marky, it's probably best to move on. 

Regarding OEL, I believe it's best we didn't make that deal. 

Take a look at who we have signed on Defence and take a look at who's available on the market right now that we could realistically sign.

We got significantly worse.  7 years we sat through a rebuild,  finally saw some success,  and now we just lost 2 heart and soul guys for nothing.  3 if you count stecher.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

As much as it hurts, perhaps this is best long term. You can't rebuild your D by bringing everyone back. 

Tanev out, Stecher out. Right now we're looking at Benn, Edler, Hughes, and Myers. What do we add to that mix? 

You gotta figure Juolevi makes it on the left side and switches in and out with Benn. But what are we doing on our right side because right now it's just Myers?

Getting Petro and somehow shipping out cap would be huge although perhaps unrealistic, but that still leaves one right spot open? 

I'll be honest, I see this as a big win for Calgary. I feel like we should have been able to offer at least that. Benning and Co. look to have messed up here IMO.

Really hoping Benning proves me wrong for the upteenth time, but I don't like this at all.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SergioMomesso said:

IMO I thought Hughes was the reason Tanev played an un injured season. He took a lot less hits when he was retrieving dump ins because Quinn was always where he was supposed to be and transitioned up ice without getting hemmed in. 

Watch him spend half his season on the LTIR in Calgary.