The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames sign Christopher Tanev

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Everyone criticized Benning for giving term to Eriksson, Myers, Roussel and Beagle, which has now put us in a cap crunch.  Now we have people wondering why we won’t give term to Markstrom and Tanev.  

Benning has learned from his mistakes. Not worth it to give term to players pushing or over the age of 30 unless they are superstars.  Like Pietrangelo. 

Replaceable bottom half of the lineup players are not the same as a starting goalie and top-4 D-man that plays great against the other team's best players.

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The one thing I don’t get is why either player would go to a team that proved to be less of a contender than Vancouver.

Don't know if that's the case anymore.

6 minutes ago, Gaudette Celly said:

What happened to all those complaining about Tanev being injured all the time and that we had to ditch him?  And if we're going to improve the D, how do we do that if we bring back the same players?

There are a lot of problems on D outside of Tanev. He and Hughes were not one of the problems. I'm not saying we're dead without him but we needed him + better players on top.

• Cheers 3

Just now, -AJ- said:

I'll be honest, I see this as a big win for Calgary. I feel like we should have been able to offer at least that. Benning and Co. look to have messed up here IMO.

Really hoping Benning proves me wrong for the upteenth time, but I don't like this at all.

Marky was their win...least they have somewhat stopped the bleeding from their own losses on D

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

As much as it hurts, perhaps this is best long term. You can't rebuild your D by bringing everyone back. 

Tanev out, Stecher out. Right now we're looking at Benn, Edler, Hughes, and Myers. What do we add to that mix? 

You gotta figure Juolevi makes it on the left side and switches in and out with Benn. But what are we doing on our right side because right now it's just Myers?

Getting Petro and somehow shipping out cap would be huge although perhaps unrealistic, but that still leaves one right spot open? 

I can't see how its good long term

Hughes and Petey are still on their ELC.  This was a good window to ice a strong team.  Once those ELCs are done its game over.  

I've always been a huge supporter of Bennings but he really **** the bed today,  unless he has some David blain moves up his sleeve that we don't know about.

How many years do we have to wait while the bad contracts run out and because of it miss out on draft picks we should have had. How many good coach's do we miss out on while this rebuild struggles through another year? How many more bad decisions by this GM does it take??

• Wat 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

So the good news is Signer Jim was able to contain himself today.

Now we need Trader Jim to get creative and take advantage of some teams cap dumps like the Miller trade.

He did say he took quite a few calls today, on what sounded like opportunities to make moves.  Maybe something'll shake down tomorrow, either cap clearance or an acquisition.

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

I'll be honest, I see this as a big win for Calgary. I feel like we should have been able to offer at least that. Benning and Co. look to have messed up here IMO.

Really hoping Benning proves me wrong for the upteenth time, but I don't like this at all.

They might get temporarily better next season, but I think that after that they will go into a decline and these 2 contracts will be the big reason for it

1 minute ago, Analyst82 said:

Its not JB's fault that there is a pandemic and the cap did not go up. Tanev and Markstrom are getting older and the terms they got just wouldn't work. JB is holding back on the term because it got us in a crunch. We have decent young D man who need to have a shot.

It's never JB's fault. He's only the general freaking manager of the franchise, it's not like he has any input or influence on the team.

:emot-parrot:

• Haha 1

Just now, Gaudette Celly said:

He did say he took quite a few calls today, on what sounded like opportunities to make moves.  Maybe something'll shake down tomorrow, either cap clearance or an acquisition.

There are lots of trade options that we probably haven’t even considered.

Might even be able to dump some cap at the same time.

3 minutes ago, Analyst82 said:

Its not JB's fault that there is a pandemic and the cap did not go up. Tanev and Markstrom are getting older and the terms they got just wouldn't work. JB is holding back on the term because it got us in a crunch. We have decent young D man who need to have a shot.

Who are our decent young D that are going to be better than Tanev and Stecher?

Juolevi?  The kid whos been injured for 3 seasons and is only going to get a shot on the big club because he was a 5th overall pick?  Rafferty deserves a shot over Juolevi.

Also,  yeah its not his fault there was a pandemic,  the same one the Flames are operating under.  They just got significantly better than us today by signing our own players.

Edited by CanuckGAME
  • Wat 1