The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tanev Appreciation Thread

Rate this topic

-DLC-

Was absolutely fearless on D and paid the price for that.  Will always respect what he brought.  I didn't fully appreciate his leadership until I sat behind the Canuck bench at the January 2019 game in Ottawa when Petey got the hat trick.  He was constantly talking to guys, encouraging, breaking down plays.  Clearly a smart player and a very good human being. 

From a business point of view, I get why Jim is letting all these guys go but it's got to be a bit of a gut-punch to the locker room.  There's still plenty of leadership there, but the closeness this team was noted for is gonna be tested with these losses.  Hopefully it increases the sense of urgency and pushes the younger guys forward into leadership roles, but it's tough love, no question.

All the best Tanman, but with the greatest respect, we're coming for ya.

From his first shifts he looked like he was a veteran, always cool.

He never got the spotlight like other players

Calgary got a real good player, defensively he probably just won them 3 to 5 games over the season.

Combined with what Markstrom will give them they look very good at holding the puck out of the net.

Edited by Lazurus
  • Like 2

Tanev was a great Canuck!  I wish him well in Calgary (my second favourite team - having lived out there for 10 years after growing up in BC).  It's neat that he will still be protecting his buddy Markstrom.  Tanev is a real warrior.  I just remember him taking that shot to the teeth and the pain he must have felt.  I wish him all the best.  I hope that some day, when Covid is history, the fans give him and Marky a great tribute when they return to Vancouver.

I'll never forget Tanev's Canuck debut.

Comes in as a rookie Game 5 of the SCF and is immediately a calming influence solidifying our third pairing. Makes an amazing pass to Glass giving him an empty net and what should've been a sure goal. Somehow managed to remain with an even plus minus through games 5 6 and 7. 

He's been our best defensive D for the last 7 years, a great mentor and an absolute warrior. 

We will miss you Tequila! Forever a Canuck. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, falcon45ca said:

So if you work at Office Depot, you're not allowed to later on work at Staples?

It's a job dude. They're allowed to work for other employers, no ill will.

If you only liked Tanev & Markstrom cuz' they were Canucks, guess what? You were never really fans of them to begin with.

I don't think they owe us fans anything at all and they certainly should look to maximize their dollar but conversely I also think we as fans have the right to be unhappy to see them sign in Calgary and boo them/wish for the Canucks to have greater success than they do. They don't owe us anything and we don't owe them anything.

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Slegr said:

I get that, but players still need to realize it’s fully disrespectful to their fans, the same fans who made them stars. 

Tanev made himself a star through his hard work. The style he plays he could have a career ending injury pretty easily, I think he earned his pay day. 

• Cheers 1

Thanks for all your sacrifices and everything you gave to the club, sorry to see you go and especially sad that you will be wearing a Flamers jersey next year but still wishing you all the best, and who knows maybe the Nucks will bring you back for your final years in hockey. Thanks again Tanny

On 10/10/2020 at 8:48 AM, Slegr said:

He was a warrior, for sure. 

Still, I have to say, I get that players need to look out for themselves at the end of the day, but really, is there no sense of honour anymore?  How two of our long-serving better players can just pick up and sign with one of biggest division rivals like that? Granted, we had cap trouble and couldn’t afford what they rightly earned, but to me it’s still deeply disrespectful to fans when a player signs with a big division opponent. I know it’s different circumstances than like Tavares leaving the Islanders for the Leafs, but still, as much as I liked Tanev and Markstrom, that pretty much disappears when they choose to sign with the Flames. Sure, it’s their choice and they earned it, but as a fan of the Canucks first, I’ve earned the right to boo these guys the next time I see them play.

I mean, players are humans too. They gotta take care of themselves and their families. Besides, the way Benning structured the supposed offer he made, it seemed like he was going to expose Tanev in the expansion draft anyway. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, The Listening said:

I mean, players are humans too. They gotta take care of themselves and their families. Besides, the way Benning structured the supposed offer he made, it seemed like he was going to expose Tanev in the expansion draft anyway. 

can you provide a source on what Benning offered and the way he structured the offer

Its just a business. Players have short careers and they need to maximize their earnings so they can take care of their families.

I am happy for Tanev to get the great contract he got.  He is going to make Bank.  Awesome as he deserves it.

Tanev was all heart for our club and was super consistent warrior for us. I personally did not want to see him here for another 4 years though due to his age and not reallly being in the right age as our new core group.....

Great Canuck and i wish him well.  

• Cheers 2

Tanev earned every penny he got here.  Sorry to see him go, but I understand.

Anyone who is a parent with a kid pursuing their dream of being in professional sports understands the huge sacrifice in time and funds to help make their kids dreams come true.  They start at a very early age and grind away as the pyramid of opportunity becomes thinner and thinner as they get closer to the top. If they have the talent to make it to the big show, they have a window of 5 to 10 years, if they are lucky, to make their investment in time to pay off.  It’s a business to the owners, each player is a business within themselves.

Tanev has not lost me as a fan, I am just pleased that he will get a whole lot more fans in Calgary.  Thanks Tanev, for literally putting your body on the line every game. With any justice, you should get your own ring of honour, you were a true warrior for Canucks Nation!

On 10/10/2020 at 9:48 AM, Slegr said:

He was a warrior, for sure. 

Still, I have to say, I get that players need to look out for themselves at the end of the day, but really, is there no sense of honour anymore?  How two of our long-serving better players can just pick up and sign with one of biggest division rivals like that? Granted, we had cap trouble and couldn’t afford what they rightly earned, but to me it’s still deeply disrespectful to fans when a player signs with a big division opponent. I know it’s different circumstances than like Tavares leaving the Islanders for the Leafs, but still, as much as I liked Tanev and Markstrom, that pretty much disappears when they choose to sign with the Flames. Sure, it’s their choice and they earned it, but as a fan of the Canucks first, I’ve earned the right to boo these guys the next time I see them play.

I honestly have this weird feeling it's how they had negotiations with the current gm crew. I think something soured. Seems really odd that guys are all just packing up and going without much word. 

• Upvote 1