The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tanev Appreciation Thread

Rate this topic

-DLC-

5 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I honestly have this weird feeling it's how they had negotiations with the current gm crew. I think something soured. Seems really odd that guys are all just packing up and going without much word. 

Agree, like some mass exodus from the current management. I get the feeling they were disrespected, due to Benning spending all of his time chasing a mirage, aka OEL. I'm sure Benning had intentions of eventually negotiating and possibly re-signing Tanev, but Chris saw the writing on the wall. Benning has probably been low-balling on offers ($ and term), because there isn't much cap and they have a plan, but these loyal vets may be saying "F you, I know I'm worth more than that after what I've given". It's a tough business, I wouldn't want Benning's stress these days.

I don't know that there's a need to look at it under a dramatic light.  Words like disrespect, sour, loyalty, etc. are soap operas spins on it...but likely don't reflect the players' mindsets.  

This is all just part of it....contracts are negotiated under a cap that means that sometimes you have to plan for the future and budget.  Make sacrifices and tough decisions.  Terms come into play.  It's not necessarily to be viewed as anything but "what it is".  It's not personal. 

Things are ever changing and dynamic, it's not static.   You don't know how well players will pan out and develop and as some do make the jump, they have to be factored in.  Given a chance.  Age comes into play in relation to contract terms. 

If players take it personally that's on them...but I don't think they do.  I think they got offers that were within the team's future plans but they could do better elsewhere.  So they chose to move on...no one forced anyone out.  Or can blame them for leaving.  Doesn't mean it was a sour exit.

Loyal vets still are "people"...as are management.  It's a job, not a love affair and changing teams is a common denominator in the league.  Happens.

Not sure why it has to be interpreted as something emotionally charged.  Business transactions.

I HATE it when players move on...but have accepted it as part of the deal.  It's awful when it's a division rival, but there's no "blame" or "guilt" to be had in my opinion.

• Like 1

Tanev became my 2nd favorite player pretty early in his Canucks career, my favorite at the time being Jannik Hansen. When we traded Jannik I was devastated but grateful to have another player I felt so attached to on the team like Tanev. I’ve struggled to find another player since Hansen departed that I’ve really been able to latch onto. I mean, I genuinely like all the players we have but I’ve always felt having a favorite player is a special and important thing for a fan. Now I kind of feel at a loss. My favorite player from day 1 was Naslund and his departure pretty much perfectly came at the beginning of the Jannik era. I’ve been lucky to have only 3 favorite players in my 25ish years of Canucks fanhood and all 3 had great long tenures with the team. But now I have to find myself a new favorite. Thanks for all the great years Tanev! A true warrior and a truly sensational Hockey player to watch. I can only hope find an attachment to another player like the attachment I have towards Tanev. :canucks: