The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Oilers sign Tyson Barrie

So some RD options that are available aside from Peter, who is likely heading to Vegas are a couple of TB exposables:

Bogosian and Rutta. Pass on both.

Sami Vatanen or Trevor Van Reimsdyk potential pickups on short term deals.

Maybe we see what Rafferty can do on our 3rd pairing but we still need a top 4 RD. Seems only option would be a trade if we truly want to find a replacement or improvement for Tanev.

Lol Oilers powerplay was #1 in the league - their issue is on the back end and they have done nothing to address this by signing Barrie. 

Holland needs to realize that this isn't the 80s or 90s - D still wins championships.

And how did the powerplay help them in the play-in against Chicago?

3 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

And sorry if it's been mentioned already but smart move by Barrie - sign a 1 year deal pad the stats and get paid next year.

And..... if i had read up about 3 posts I would see @Robert Long already mentioned this - oops!!

thats OK, no one reads my posts 

• Haha 1

Feel like he could make a really solid pairing with Nurse. Barrie is not a fit here, but that does not mean I don't think he is a bad player or teams can't win with him. He'll likely pile up some points in Edmonton that have no real scoring threats on the backend. Gonna get paid next summer potentially.

15 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

Goalie and defensemen that can play defense lol - they all know how to rush up the ice but they all tend to handle the puck like its a grenade in their own end.

they just signed Mike Smith... so problem solved....

Ryan Gosling Lol GIF

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Thought this was funnyScreenshot_20201010-115023_Twitter.thumb.jpg.cd508a190e91f951e29d1ba0239392d3.jpg

Silly to speculate. From other reports the Canucks were sticking to low term and dollars. He saw a better opportunity in Edmonton though which happens.

Im more concerned at what the actual plan is right now. From what I can tell it’s just been a series of strikeouts.

If trading for OEL was plan A what plan are we on now? What would have happened had Barrie and Tanev agreed to terms? Was that plan B?

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

If the rumour about Jim offer 6 mil is correct, thats good news in a way, it means there's probably a trade in the works to clear cap. 

It’s not a rumour it’s Benning detractors just assuming based on past contracts.

Either way a 6 million dollar contract isn’t better right now with high escrow payments. Players who are getting short term deals want to go where they can put up big points for their next contract.

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Silly to speculate. From other reports the Canucks were sticking to low term and dollars. He saw a better opportunity in Edmonton though which happens.

Im more concerned at what the actual plan is right now. From what I can tell it’s just been a series of strikeouts.

If trading for OEL was plan A what plan are we on now? What would have happened had Barrie and Tanev agreed to terms? Was that plan B?

The plan now is most likely to keep trying to sign a top 4D and still somehow have enough money left over to do your other signings.  But we also need a top 6 forward and 2 depth positions and only 7.3 million in space.

That's what we get for spending 6 million on Eriksson and Myers... And all that money on our other bottom 6 forwards.

Only option that seems obvious to me is to spend draft picks to ship out bad contracts.  So, mortgage the future so you can ice a competitive lineup next year.  Or go into next season with a worse lineup than the year before.  

1 minute ago, CanadianRugby said:

The plan now is most likely to keep trying to sign a top 4D and still somehow have enough money left over to do your other signings.  But we also need a top 6 forward and 2 depth positions and only 7.3 million in space.

That's what we get for spending 6 million on Eriksson and Myers... And all that money on our other bottom 6 forwards.

Only option that seems obvious to me is to spend draft picks to ship out bad contracts.  So, mortgage the future so you can ice a competitive lineup next year.  Or go into next season with a worse lineup than the year before.  

I don’t think being a lotto team is something Benning or ownership has any desire to do. That would likely cost Benning his job.

Only real option I see now is paying to unload salary. Not ideal but it’s where we’re at.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1