The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Oilers sign Tyson Barrie

I also see our team growing from within this year and giving opportunity to see what we have in our younger players with expanded roles, especially if Toffoli doesn't come back to round out our top 6. Giving Virt more time in the top 6 or even big Mac.

We have lots of depth at forward, the main concern right now is improving our D but it's a long off season, JB will do what he can.

I am sure that Barrie will have a career year with the fast skating Oilers.

Barrie wasn't really a guy I was very high on for the Canucks as we need players who can play defense but I sure hope that Benning is in on one or two remaining d-men. If we were to compliment current signed players with rookies it would not be an improvement at all except for keeping one spot open for competition between Joulevi an d Rathbone

• Upvote 1

This guy was awful in Toronto last year but that could have been due more so with the team’s defence as a whole. 

I suppose it was wise for him to go to the Oilers to pad his stats with points playing with those 2 juggernauts for a year. A cheap tactic to fool others in giving him a big contract later (I doubt many will still bite).

The guy definitely has no care about coming here and quite frankly we shouldn’t care about him either. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

or he is desperate since we only have one top 4 dman which is aslo our top 1 dman

lets wait and see where the team is at next week before passing final judgement on this off-season, eh?

So far he's avoided two potential anchor contracts, and brought in a cup/vesna winner who's still just 30. 

Yes losing Troy stings on an emotional level but lets not pretend we don't need more size on our d group. 

or :frantic:

dealers choice. 

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Anaheim too with Manson, assuming they didn't sign Shattenkirk just to expose him.  Foote would be a great pickup for us too though.  Suspect most GMs have learned from Vegas and won't be making too many deals directly with Seattle.

Anaheim will go 3 and 4.  What forward are they going to protect; David Backes?

2 hours ago, GarthButcher5 said:

I am sure that Barrie will have a career year with the fast skating Oilers.

Barrie wasn't really a guy I was very high on for the Canucks as we need players who can play defense but I sure hope that Benning is in on one or two remaining d-men. If we were to compliment current signed players with rookies it would not be an improvement at all except for keeping one spot open for competition between Joulevi an d Rathbone

He’s pimping himself out for stats to base his next contract on. 
He’s business-minded, like his dad, and that’s ok. 

It scares me to think that Edmonton is a few lucky breaks away from dominance. If they could get a few ELCs to have “career years’ they could be a powerhouse, but like the Leafs, they seem to be unable to make the necessary trades to get rid of passengers. 

LB is a great player, in the right setting. He hasn’t been lately, but we’ve seen bounce back years out of players since we’ve been watching the NHL. If he catches fire in Edmonton, it could be crappy for us. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MikeBossy said:

Lol Oilers powerplay was #1 in the league - their issue is on the back end and they have done nothing to address this by signing Barrie. 

Holland needs to realize that this isn't the 80s or 90s - D still wins championships.

And how did the powerplay help them in the play-in against Chicago?

Look?

Its not a move designed to make them contenders.  Klefbom is out for at least the 1st few months of the year.  He was their PP QB. One where they already would have preferred to see lefbom lead their 2knd PP unit.

Its just to help keep a team identity so as not to rush Samorukov, & Twin B's who were lotto picks Broberg, Bouchard...

Those lotto picks, developed properly, determine whether Edmonton ever becomes a true contender...

• Upvote 1