The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Oilers sign Tyson Barrie

2 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

doesn't seem that unlikely to me. EDM offered ~4, Canucks ~5, Colorado ~6 all for 1 year. It makes sense to bring in potentially 50-60 points off the back end if your defensive structure can handle Barrie. If Jim had gone all in on something like a 3 or 4 year offer then I'd be concerned but a 1 year flyer with an offer in the middle of the pack? meh, can't get too worked up over that. 

Agreed.  Nothing wrong with making an offer - especially when it was likely made before the Schmidt trade.  Glad it worked out the way it did!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, thundernuts said:

Agreed.  Nothing wrong with making an offer - especially when it was likely made before the Schmidt trade.  Glad it worked out the way it did!

me too, but I suspect Jim makes the Schmidt deal too, but then he would have been forced to burn futures to clear cap. 

• Like 1

Hmm.  I disagree.  Judging by the moves and non-moves he's made so far this offseason, he seems reluctant to go over the cap, and be in a position where he is forced to dump salary.  I think that, more than any misstep or mismanagement, is why Toffoli was not resigned. 

Pure speculation of course, as I have zero insight into the inner workings of the Canucks and their management.

2 minutes ago, Gaudette Celly said:

With Klefbom possibly out for the entire season, does Barrie adequately replace him?  Offensively yes, overall... not so sure.  They'd probably be wise to use OK's LTIR to sign someone more defensively solid.

Barrie will be better offensively, but would be a downgrade defensively. Broberg and Bouchard are going to have to step up for the Oilers.

12 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Barrie will be better offensively, but would be a downgrade defensively. Broberg and Bouchard are going to have to step up for the Oilers.

Pretty excited to have that huge of a defensive liability in Edmonton. Bouchard is also absolutely atrocious in his own end, to the point it is extremely unlikely that he will become a legit NHLer.  The Soilers didn't even need to do anything for that pylon to be a bust.

Edited by King Heffy

36 minutes ago, thundernuts said:

Hmm.  I disagree.  Judging by the moves and non-moves he's made so far this offseason, he seems reluctant to go over the cap, and be in a position where he is forced to dump salary.  I think that, more than any misstep or mismanagement, is why Toffoli was not resigned. 

Pure speculation of course, as I have zero insight into the inner workings of the Canucks and their management.

I like to believe that I do.