The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Red Wings sign Troy Stecher

11 minutes ago, The Vancouver Connection said:

Good job benning, you &^@#ing idiot. Now I wonder if the benning lovers will get off there knees and know this guy is a moron

How sad is your life that you get this heated and upset over Troy Stretcher

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

Well this would be an immediate upgrade in size and our overall defense I believe:

hughes-Pietrangelo 

edler-myers

juolevi-ceci 

But cap problems and it more difficult and sounds like he going to vegas

need ferland and Eriksson off the books asap 

4 hours ago, garthsbutcher said:

Time to add some size and grit to the back end. Clearly lacking in the playoffs. Loved Tanev and Stetch but No way I give Tanev that term and Troy can be replaced for the same money by a bigger meaner d man. Size matters 

We do need to get bigger. It was painfully obvious in the playoffs where we could not take the body and breakup the cycle. 

Edited by rekker
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

He's got heart and seems like a great teammate, but he's a marginal defenceman, at best.  I think both Benn and Fanta are more effective.

Disagree. It might not always look pretty, but Stecher gets results. The times he gets overmatched in-zone defending against larger players tends to skew the eye test on Stecher IMO. He’s very solid in the neutral zone, and he gives it his all in his own zone, and manages quite well most of the time, despite his size. When you look just at his results, he’s been able to post some of the team’s best goal suppression numbers, while playing highly defensively skewed minutes. And his full picture advanced stats (WAR/GAR etc) show an overall positive on-ice impact that’s actually placed him among our top Dmen the past few years. I don’t consider him “marginal” at all. When a player can produce overall results like Stecher, I don’t really care how he does it, I just value him accordingly. He’s a good third pairing D, who can fill-in as a top-4, and he’s consistently overachieved in his on-ice impact while playing that role.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, R3aL said:

Well this would be an immediate upgrade in size and our overall defense I believe:

hughes-Pietrangelo 

edler-myers

juolevi-ceci 

But cap problems and it more difficult and sounds like he going to vegas

need ferland and Eriksson off the books asap 

I really don't think we'll land Pietrangelo. 

I can't wait for 2 offseasons from now. SO much cap will be freed up right when we're cup competitive. Who the Avs are right now, we'll be in 2 years

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Disagree. It might not always look pretty, but Stecher gets results. The times he gets overmatched in-zone defending against larger players tends to skew the eye test on Stecher IMO. He’s very solid in the neutral zone, and he gives it his all in his own zone, and manages quite well most of the time, despite his size. When you look just at his results, he’s been able to post some of the team’s best goal suppression numbers, while playing highly defensively skewed minutes. And his full picture advanced stats (WAR/GAR etc) show an overall positive on-ice impact that’s actually placed him among our top Dmen the past few years. I don’t consider him “marginal” at all. When a player can produce overall results like Stecher, I don’t really care how he does it, I just value him accordingly. He’s a good third pairing D, who can fill-in as a top-4, and he’s consistently overachieved in his on-ice impact while playing that role.

I love Stetcher as much as anyone but when he fills in top 4 it's bad. We need to fill his depth but he loses a lot of one on one battles. A lot. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

I really don't think we'll land Pietrangelo. 

I can't wait for 2 offseasons from now. SO much cap will be freed up right when we're cup competitive. Who the Avs are right now, we'll be in 2 years

I can’t imagine use not trying to improve off last year